Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
republicans: invading our privacy
    #2939743 - 07/29/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

hey christian right KEEP YOUR MORALS OUT OF MY MOTHER FUCKING BEDROOM ...im so glad i dont live in the bible belt, they get off on invadading privacy.

No Sellling Sex Toys in Alabama
Constitution doesn't uphold your right to sexual privacy
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A federal appeals court Wednesday upheld a 1998 Alabama law banning the sale of sex toys in the state, ruling the Constitution doesn't include a right to sexual privacy.

In a 2-1 decision overturning a lower court, a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the state has a right to police the sale of devices that can be sexually stimulating.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which represented merchants and users who sued to overturn the law, asked the appeals court to rule that the Constitution included a right to sexual privacy that the ban on sex toy sales would violate. The court declined, indicating such a decision could lead down other paths.

"If the people of Alabama in time decide that a prohibition on sex toys is misguided, or ineffective, or just plain silly, they can repeal the law and be finished with the matter," the court said.

"On the other hand, if we today craft a new fundamental right by which to invalidate the law, we would be bound to give that right full force and effect in all future cases including, for example, those involving adult incest, prostitution, obscenity, and the like."

Attorney General Troy King said the court "has done its duty" in upholding the law.

Sherri Williams, an adult novelty retailer who filed the lawsuit with seven other women and two men, called the decision "depressing."

"I'm just very disappointed that courts feel Alabamians don't have the right to purchase adult toys. It's just ludicrous," said Williams, who lives in Florida and owns Pleasures stores in Huntsville and Decatur. "I intend to pursue this."

U.S. District Judge Lynwood Smith Jr. of Huntsville has twice ruled against the state law, deciding in 2002 that the sex toy ban violated the constitutional right to privacy. The state appealed both times and won.

The state law bans only the sale of sex toys, not their possession, the court said, and it doesn't regulate other items including condoms or virility drugs. "The Alabama statute proscribes a relatively narrow bandwidth of activity," U.S. Circuit Judge Stanley F. Birch Jr. wrote.

Circuit Judge Rosemary Barkett disagreed, saying the decision was based on the "erroneous foundation" that adults don't have a right to consensual sexual intimacy and that private acts can be made a crime in the name of promoting "public morality."

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

when this hit the actual supreme court it will be declared unconstitutional just like bans on sodomy were. :lol: it was repubs in states pushing to keep anti-sodomy laws, how could u back a party that would make it a crime to pork your girl in the pooper :lol:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Idaho (USA)
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2940592 - 07/29/04 02:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i don't hate republicans like most on the bandwagon do but i'll say that its rediculous to force bible principals on so many people. they shouldn't waste their time trying to "fix" people. it says so in the bible, you can only do so much before you must move on.

i myself don't find anything wrong with personal pleasure. i mean its a part of society. its accepted. so is religion. we just got to live with it. whats so hard about that?

Offlinewingnutx
    #2940752 - 07/29/04 03:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When dildos are outlawed, only owtlaws will own dildos.

What a crock.

AZ had similar laws on the books from a long time ago, but recently purged them. Good thing, or I'd be facing life in the supermax.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2940765 - 07/29/04 03:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

We should remove ALL of the DMD's from our country.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: wingnutx]
    #2941518 - 07/29/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

wingnutx said:
AZ had similar laws on the books from a long time ago, but recently purged them. Good thing, or I'd be facing life in the supermax.

So then how many dildos do you own exactly? Are they special deadly dildos?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2941526 - 07/29/04 06:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This is why I don't live in Alabama. Without toys my wife would be constantly badgering me for sex. I hate when that happens. Wait til these guys figure out what they have unleashed. It aint gonna be pretty.

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2941679 - 07/29/04 07:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Anything is deadly if used properly.

I don't have that many, but I make up for quantity with quality :smile:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2941882 - 07/29/04 08:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:lol: "DMDs" :lol:

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2944230 - 07/30/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was beginning to think noone was going to get that joke.  You've made me feel better. :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

#2944418 - 07/30/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lmao. i get it now. whats fucking sad is if they wouldn't allow us to OWN the dildos we had before the law was activated. dude, do you know what type of fucking house raid excuse that would be? i see many other types of charges the police would get away with.

--------------------
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you would never get on."
Lance Armstrong

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: PuZuZu]
    #2944432 - 07/30/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I really wqish the title of this thread would of been named different because these people aren't republicans if we are to believe that republicans = less govt intrusion. Sad sad sad.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2946157 - 07/30/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It would be nice to know:

a) who sponsored the bill in the Alabama state legislature -- Rep or Dem
b) how many Republicans vs how many Dems voted for it

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most Southern states tend to be run by Dem majorities? Not saying that Alabama necessarily is, just saying that's the trend.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: Phred]
    #2946169 - 07/30/04 09:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Erm?
So why do they vote republican?

The south = not democrats.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: vampirism]
    #2946221 - 07/30/04 09:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not talking about how they vote for prez in federal elections, I'm talking about their State legislatures. It was a State legislature that passed the law in question, not the federal government, and certainly not George W Bush.

I am quite willing to accept that at the time the Alabama State legislature introduced, debated, and passed into law the bill under discussion here, it was dominated by Republicans. But in order for me to accept that I'll first have to see the proof. I'm not willing to accept just on KingOfTheThings' unsupported say-so that the bill was a Republican bill.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: republicans: invading our privacy [Re: vampirism]
    #2946939 - 07/31/04 02:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Morrowind said:
Erm?
So why do they vote republican?

The south = not democrats.

oddly enough here in the south we vote republican in federal elections and democrat locally.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

#2948627 - 07/31/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you people are weird. i think democrats do good in both offices. is is just a church thing?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion