Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVesicaP
Get ER Done

Loc: Here and Now
Mushies already growing and jar isn't colonized yet.
    #2935757 - 07/28/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yep. I have a 1/4 inch little guy growing. My first one! Hm. The jar is only about 80% colonized though...is it going to be ok to keep it in there?

I've posted a few things about what to do. I leave for vacation next weekend...the 6th/7th. This jar will be ready before then. I have my poorman's pod ready for action...but still have some questions.

IF I use the poormans, like Magash uses, can I leave the mushies in there for 2 days without attention? I will put the holes in the top of the chamber? What I mean is, will I have to fan?

I say by this begining of next week it will be fully colonized and ready to go, but don't want to birth it because of leaving for two days. Plus, I have a mushy growing already! I don't know what to do...this is my first round, and kinda nervous about screwing it up over a 2 day vacation.

Suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
Re: Mushies already growing and jar isn't colonized yet. [Re: VesicaP]
    #2935790 - 07/28/04 09:30 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My first try, I innocculated then left for four weeks. I got back and all the jars had mushies crammed in the small space between the cake and the glass. We ate those had a great time, and the next flush was huge.

Leave it in jar until fully colonized.

If doing PF cakes, I leave them in jar until there are little mushies starting, then I birth em. Any earlier and I feel a wasting terrarium space on toddlers.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: VesicaP]
    #2935945 - 07/28/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
Re: Mushies already growing and jar isn't colonized yet. [Re: Citric]
    #2935969 - 07/28/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

What's the worst that could happen?

if removed before complete colonization: contamination of cake, game over

if allowed to finish colonizing with mushies growing in jar: the mushies in the jar don't get very big, but the next flush is great

One choice has a risk, the other has no risks. choose wisely

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: meanoldman]
    #2935972 - 07/28/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #2936068 - 07/28/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How is it more likely to contaminate?

It is still inside a relatively closed system. Removing it from the jar introduceds it to a big scary world where anything can land on it and take off.

I have done so many jars where the mushies were started before birthing and never once have I lost a cake in the jar to contaminents, after mushie formation. It was my preferred method for years, wait for the new jars to get babies forming on them before replacing the mostly spent cakes in the terrarium.

once again, how does having a mushie starting in the jar increase contamination risk?

Invisiblewoodzmun
listening tonature
Re: Mushies already growing and jar isn't colonized yet. *DELETED* [Re: meanoldman]
    #2936820 - 07/28/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by woodzmun

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: woodzmun]
    #2936836 - 07/28/04 03:10 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

Invisiblewoodzmun
listening tonature
Re: Mushies already growing and jar isn't colonized yet. *DELETED* [Re: Citric]
    #2936859 - 07/28/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by woodzmun

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: woodzmun]
    #2936909 - 07/28/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
    #2937003 - 07/28/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Your mushrooms will rot before the jar is even finished colonizing...RIGHT =p

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #2937053 - 07/28/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Domey said:
You think it will colonize another 20% of the jar within 5-7 days while fruiting is initiated? No, not even close.

Yes, it will absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, definately finish colonizing the cake while the little mushie grows in it's confined state. It won't take any longer for the cake to finish colonizing the rest of the substrate even with the little guy(s) growing off the side.

Try doing a 1 pint PF style jar one day, but only innoculate one site with a minimum of spore water. You will be growing a mushie before the cake is 1/2 colonized. The cake will colonize fine anyway. I know becasue I have done it, more than once. Evidence I have seen with my own eyes, not speculation.

The mushie won't get squishy in the extra two days she waits to birth the cake either, it will be fine.

Domey:
How will it cause contamination? That was your first prediction.
Why do you think the mycelia will stop colonizing because of a small baby mushie growing on the cake?

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2937065 - 07/28/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

next time dont let any light get to them before its time to fruit
my advice would be let it go as long as possible before the invitros start to rot then open the jar and with a clean knife cut away any uncolonized substrate then do what ever your plan was for the cake
good luck and have fun

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2937141 - 07/28/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

So much disinformation in this thread. It's ok to expose to light from day one. I never incubate in darkness.

The mushie that is growing before full colonization is no problem. Let it grow. It will NOT contaminate the jar.

If you try to birth and cut the uncolonized parts out, you are almost sure to get contams. Don't do that.

You can even take a jar with lots of invitro mushrooms, and use it for a grain to grain into other jars. The invitro mushrooms are mycelial tissue, and will transfer into the new jars and help speed up pinning. This process isn't new. It was touched on in Stamets' book from twenty years ago. If you're sterile in your work, this will not cause contamination. There is an entire thread over at mycotopia in the archives concerning using pinning jars as a source for spawning compost or grain to grain transfers. http://www.mycotopia.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=5&post=149792#POST149792 There will be no contamination if done properly.

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
Re: Mushies already growing and jar isn't colonized yet. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2937264 - 07/28/04 05:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I like em when they look like this

Edited by meanoldman (07/28/04 05:15 PM)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2937277 - 07/28/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Incubate in the dark. There are three things that tell a cake to pin. Light, More air exchange, and lack of colonizable substrate. In most cases your gonna need all three of these things for the cake to fruit but as we have all read just one of these can cause pinning to accure.

Yes you can leave them in the jars Hippy has already proven that and they are not gonna contam if you do that. One small problem that nobody has addressed. Those mushrooms have to come out of there and that is gonna be dangerous if there is uncolonized substrate. Leave em in there for to long and they are gonna start to rot. Harvesting in a glove box is possiable but that sounds like a pain in the ass.

Keep your eye on the mushroom and try to leave em in long enough to finish colonizing and maybe pull out that shroom in a glove box if possiable.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineVesicaP
Get ER Done

Loc: Here and Now
    #2943852 - 07/30/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys. I went ahead and birthed the cake. It was around 90-95%. I did this because that little mushie was close to the top of the jar and was starting to grow out of the dry verm. That freaked me out and didn't want any contams to start to form. Was that the right thing? When I cut the excess off. There was still substrate that was dark, but has myc roots all through it. I assume this is fine. My cake is leaning a little, but the mushies are growing on the other side, so hopefully that will balance it out.

Oh well. It's in the chamber has about 10 or so little "Pins"...I guess now it's time for the next phase. We will have to see if my PoorMans Pod is effective.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep ya posted.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate