Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineorderofthenew
Stranger
Micrwave Sterilization?
    #2936607 - 07/28/04 04:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

O.K. has anybody ever microwaved there
PF cake? A FOAF did and they got really hot!
Is this good enough for sterilization considering you
are using the PF Tek which is supposed to protect
you from cotaminates anyway. I have not heard much on this
technique. I would like to get lots of input please!
This is a FOAF first time. thx

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedolo
rapper

Loc: baltimore murdaland
Re: Micrwave Sterilization? [Re: orderofthenew]
    #2936674 - 07/28/04 04:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

what is foaf

--------------------
every thing dolo says is just for fun and should not be takin 2 heart i don't do drugs cause im a winner listen 2 my music http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/febmusic.htm
na mean

Offlineorderofthenew
Stranger
Re: Micrwave Sterilization? [Re: dolo]
    #2936682 - 07/28/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Friend Of A Friend

OfflineCrazyJulio
journeyman
    #2936694 - 07/28/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I nuked mine.  The only thing is that the top layer of verm that's supposed to be dry gets kind of wet from all the moisture loss from the substrate.  It might work, but not nearly as well as a pressure cooker.

I got zero out of three contaminated jars, after all, though.

Edited out bad suggestion  :tongue:

Edited by CrazyJulio (07/28/04 08:14 PM)

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Re: Micrwave Sterilization? [Re: CrazyJulio]
    #2937074 - 07/28/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

no way no way no way, do NOT sterilize and then add the layer of dry verm, thats contam city. only way that could be done is if you STERILIZE that dry layer of verm first, and do it INCREDIBLY carefully to avoid any contamination.

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2937431 - 07/28/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Simply put not gonna work. Don't have a pc put a towle in the bottom of a pot and boil the jars for 1 hour.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2937528 - 07/28/04 08:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

While it is possible, the success rates are lower than with boiling in a pot or pressure cooking.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23368

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2940825 - 07/29/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My friend had better success with microwaving than he did with boiling jars (this was before the purchase of a pressure cooker). Your containers should be as shallow as possible as this will assure that the microwaves pass through the substrate. My friend used the Glad Entree containers, they are 3 1/8 cups (25 oz). Here are some pictures...

Glad containers are superior to Ziploc for this purpose - Ziplocs don't close as well or stay closed as easily after microwaving. For the same reason, avoid generic containers.

Pre-punch holes in the lid, making sure that the innoculation needle could slide easily in and out with no binding. 5 holes total, one towards each corner and one in the middle as evenly spaced as possible (4 holes may work about as well - your call). It's better that the holes are a little large than too small because the plastic gives and will close up a bit - it's a bitch when your needle gets stuck.

Optional - Cut out Tyvek sheets to fit inside the containers over the substrate, below the Ramsey seal .

The substrate must be put in lightly - DO NOT PACK and leave extra room as the vermiculite will expand during microwaving. Wipe off the insides of the container over the substrate, (optional - then place the Tyvek sheet over the substrate) cover with dry vermiculite as a ramsey seal (My friend mixed in a little builders lime or Calcium Carbonate with the sealing vermiculite because he was paranoid about the mean green and was trying to keep the Ph unfavorable to it). Put two rubber bands around the container to keep the lid in place as it will pop open during heating.

Turn the container upside down and nuke it for about 4 minutes, then turn it over and nuke it again for another 4 minutes. These times are variable depending on your microwave, you will have to experiment with this as well as the added water content, using the normal amount of water will result in your substrate drying out and possibly burning. I think my friend used the maximum ratio of water that PF recommended and added an extra tablespoon of water for each container - but this is from memory and may be incorrect. Again, you must be willing to do some experiments and watch the container closely while nuking it until you get the ratios right.

After microwaving, immediately put some foil over the top of the container. BE CAREFUL OF POSSIBLE STEAM BURNS - the container will be very hot! Let the containers cool for a few hours before innoculating.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation