Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRevolution
enthusiast
Loc: North Dakota, USA
Re: proper ph for substrate
    #293174 - 04/14/01 09:04 PM (23 years, 7 days ago)

Sean's gay.

Act now, think later.

**Keep the faith. If you book them, they will come**

--------------------
**Keep the faith. If you book them, they will come**

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineholographic mind
veteran

Re: proper ph for substrate [Re: Revolution]
    #293231 - 04/14/01 09:20 PM (23 years, 7 days ago)

"Sean's Gay" ~ could you be lamer you poser? Growing shrooms is easy, trying to complicate it just confuses people. Just grow them! Revolution you have not grown shrooms, cause if you had you would understand where I am coming from. You must have this eroneous misconception that growing mushrooms is a complicated process. It isn't!

rxwomen let me ask you this, if the pH was extreme, how would you correct it? If the pH was extreme it would be due to the water used. Just use pure water! pH is a measurement of hydrogen : hydroxyl ions in solution. higher number of hydrogen ions causes an acidic solution, a higer number of hydroxyl ions causes an alkaline solution. water is neutral because it contains one hydrogen and one hydroxyl ion which cancel each other out. As long as you use pure water, pH is not a problem.

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

Re: proper ph for substrate
    #293258 - 04/14/01 10:08 PM (23 years, 7 days ago)

elle7 said "blah blah blah blah i want to make mushroom cultivation seem complicated so i feel smarter, too bad I have never even inoculated a jar before"

OfflineMNmyc
enthusiast

Loc: MN
Re: proper ph for substrate [Re: holographic mind]
    #293263 - 04/14/01 10:13 PM (23 years, 7 days ago)

May I try to help? I will save the usual niceties for the previous posters...

Litmus paper may be produced at home with purple cabbage.

It also may be purchased in paper form for soil testing purposes, from the local nursery, although the liquid versions are more accurate.

a $6.00 ph meter (passive probe. nursery also) for soil would suit you just fine.

BTW my tap runs less than 6.0 and needs a shit load of buffering.

I use distilled. Cuz I like to complicate things. I figure if you know what is not your problem, than you almost know what is.

--------------------
Life is what happens while you're making other plans...

Invisibleelle7
Stranger
Female
Loc: Connecticut
Re: proper ph for substrate *DELETED* [Re: holographic mind]
    #293613 - 04/15/01 12:59 PM (23 years, 6 days ago)

Post deleted by elle7

Offlinegreymule
enthusiast
Loc: Colorado
Re: proper ph for substrate [Re: elle7]
    #293642 - 04/15/01 01:51 PM (23 years, 6 days ago)

Now children play nice! It's Easter. Eat the ears first, before someone else does.

I'm goin' straight to hell, just like my Mama said.

--------------------
Them not busy bein' born are busy dyin'.

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: proper ph for substrate [Re: elle7]
    #293661 - 04/15/01 02:16 PM (23 years, 6 days ago)

elle7 your new here so let me fill you in on something...holographic mind is a sock puppet and a throll, he has never grown before so all he can do is flame people instead of giving advice, see if he actually knew anything about growing he would give tips and points to new people who are new to growing, but since he don't know jack about growing all he can do is call names and act childish, so just ignore him. he doen't know his ass from a hole in the ground!!

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineRxwoman
Loc: the great plains, USA.
Re: proper ph for substrate [Re: Taz]
    #293741 - 04/15/01 04:36 PM (23 years, 6 days ago)

Gee whiz! I cannot beleive the vehemence of some of the responses this question illicited. Yeah, so Iv'e been here awhile? So what? Why does asking questions automatically mean that one has not been successfull?
The reason I asked the ph question is because my llama tried to innoculate some composted steer manure that was purchased at a nursery, and the mycilium would not touch it. All I could think of was improper ph. You know, just because one has been previously successfull at cultivating a few mushrooms, does not mean that one stop asking questions. Afterall there are so many differing techniques. People are all the time suggesting that one, "try this, and try that...dung teks, and straw teks....casing and not casing....pure verm vs.50/50 + ....etc, etc. " If some are happy with the first technique they try, which results in a few grams of fruit, there's nothing wrong with that, but others like to constantly try new and different methods, methods which are reported to result in fruitings which resemble the monster shrooms one sees posted every now and again.
I didn't think I was making things 'complicated', afterall even vegetable gardeners, or house plant enthusiasts are instructed to test their soil's ph.
If you don't know the answer to a question, please don't post a response which is simply intended to knock the person who is asking it.
And thank you to all of you who posted helpfull responses. I do appreciate it. Rxwoman.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom