Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott
    #2883859 - 07/12/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I urge anyone who is interested in exploring new species to purchase the book Pharmacotheon by Jonathon Ott. It is a little difficult to find now but well worth the money. The Proemium of the book is available in MP3 format in the terrence mckenna audio library and addresses some serious issues regarding the drug war.

He has included an appendix that is a great reference for species of plants that have been vaguely or just recently thought to be of importance for its use as an entheogen or its phytopharmacological components. Here I will include a few plants that may be accessable to you , as they are relatively common or easily obtainable, for your research pleasures. Understand though that they should not be consumed unless one is completely certain of their potential toxicity or any interactions they may have with other foods or medicines.

The following is taken directly from his book. Statements in ()'s are of my own:

Mucuna pruriens : There is no evidence of traditional use of this plant as an inebant, but phytochemical research has shown it contains DMT, DMT-N-oxide, 5-MeO-DMT and bufotenine (he pronounces this Bu - Foe - Ten - een), and that an alkaloid-enriched extract of the plant was pharmacologically-active in rats (I have mucuna 10x resin extract actually). It remains to be seen whether the whole plant is visionary in human beings at ordinary doses. This plant is reportedly used as an aphrodisiac and nerve tonic in brasil, as an aphrodisiac by the Cuna Indians of Panama, and as a remedy for "disorders of the nervous system" in Nepalese ethnomedicine. Mucuna pruriens is used as an anthelmintic in tropical West Africa ethnomedicine, and in the Caribbean is considered to be a poisonous plant. In traditional Indian ethnomedicine, the seeds of this plant are employed as an abortifacient and aphrodisiac, whereas among the Akha of Thailand the leaves and stems are made into a poultice for treating burns.(I should note that this plant has been made readily available by some suppliers and is fairly easy to get. I have extract, seeds, and foliage of this plant and have worked with it extensively. SalviaEngland has some interesting posts about this as well.)

Tagetes erecta: (this is a fairly common plant. Marigold. IAMSHAMAN sells Tagetes lucida which was commonly mixed with N. rustica by the Huichol indians into a smoking mixture called ye-tumutsali. Many think that the psychoactive affects are actually due to the rustica rater than the lucida. I've also read that t. lucida is considered poisonous. okay on with the text)
.......Tagetes erecta, the famous zempoalxochitl of mexico, has been reportedly used as a sacred inebriant by the Mixe indians of Oaxaca who make hot-water infusions of nine flowers for divinatory purposes. This species is used as a malaria remedy in Madagscar. (Do not confuse this plant with Pot Marigold. This is pretty easy to find at green houses and garden centers. I have yet to experiment with it. Someone should do a search at Dukes Database and find it's constituents).

Alchornea floribunda: (This is made available by a few suppliers and he mentions it in this book a few times. I have heard great reviews of this plant being used as a pain killer and you can find a lot about it on the web. Schultes mentions that it was smoked as a cannabis substitute and was used as an ayahuasca additive.) A. floribunda (Iporuru) is used as an additive to African eboka (i believe this is Iboga tabernanthe) potions. An early report of indole alkaloid yohimbine in A.floribuda was not confirmed in a later study. Alchorneine, isoalchorneine and alchorneinone , novel pyrimidine and imidazole derivatives, have been isolated from roots and leaves. These are of unknown psychoactivity, but these plants are used in africa as stimulants and inebriants.

Clematis virginiana: (This is a pretty common ornamental plant. You can buy it at most garden centers and green houses. I should note that it does have toxicity including dermatoxic principals so if you have sensative skin, use caution when handling this plant.) A decoction of stems of this species of Ranunculaceae was reportedly used as a wash "to induce strange dreams" by the iroquois Indians, an "oneirongenic" effect suggested to be "hallucinogenic". No chemical data are available, but toxic alkaloids are known from this family. Some clematis species contain skin irratants, and their ingestion can cause burning of the mouth. North American Nez Perce Indians used C. hirsutissima as a stimulant for horses, apparently involving the local irratant effect of anemonin in peeled root placed in the animal's nostrils. The plant actually contains protoanemonin, which is converted rapidly into anemonin in vivo.

Helichrysum foetidum; H. stenopterum: (I feel that these species of plants wouldn't be too difficult to obtain if they are native to your area. They may also be available online. I'll see if I can find a source). These species were reportedly used by shamans "for inhaling to get their trance" in Zululand in South Africa. Thus far, no entheogenic principles are known from this species. (I should note that Schultes has mentioned this plant many times in his work.)

Hieracium pilocella: (this plant is easy to find growing wild, if you are in its area. We found two varieties growing wild at the Ohio gathering) Under the name Haret Hogeurt, this plant in the family compositae was reported in a Danish book on "Hallucinogens" to expand consciousness after smoking one or two joints. The psychoactive principle is unknown, and this interesting and legal plant has recently begun to be cultivated in the united states. Under the name "Hawkweed" H. pilocella was used as an anti-diarrheal by North American Iroquois Indians, and other species of the fenus were likewise used by north American indians as gastrointestinal remedies.

Jatropha grossidentata: (I have seen this species mentioned in a few field guides so I thought I would mention it here). Ayoreo Indians of the Paraguatan Chaco smoke dried roots of this plant, caniroja, to "communicate with the spirits" in shamanic initiation. The plant contains diterpenes of obscure pharmacology.

Magnolia virginiana: (This is a very common ornamental tree. There is probably one growing within a few blocks of you.) Leaves or bark of this North American tree were reportedly snuffed by Rappahannock Indians as a sort of "Mild Dope". No entheogenic principles are known from this plant. The mexican Magnolia dealbata or elexochitl has been suggested to represent the lost Aztec entheogen Poyomatli. (neuro did a search at dukes database that turned up some very interesting properties attributed to this plant. Maybe he can post them here).

Manihot anomala: (There are species of Manihot native to my area.) Paraguayan Ayoreo Indians smoke dried roots of this plant, sienejna, to "communicate with the spirits" in shamanic initiation. We've no phytochemical or pharmacological information.

Mentha pulegium: This aromtic mint is known to have been an ingredient to the entheogenic Kykeon potion drunk during the Eleusinian Mysteries in the ancient world, and has been considered to be "mildly psychoactive" Peruvian shamans burn the plant as an offering to Pachamama. No entheogenic principals have been identified.

Mirabilis multiflora: (This plant has been mentioned a few times on this forum and is well documented. There is a wild four o'clock around here but it has no psychoactivity , only toxic principals. I am not going to type this one up because it is lengthy , but thought I would at least mention it)

Petunia violacea: (only mentioning this one, see the post on Shanin).

Phytolacca acinosa: Used in traditional chinese ethnomedicine was said to be used by sorceres in antiquity for "seeing spirits". No entheogenic principles are known from thsi species.

Lycoperdon marginatum ; L. mixtecorum : (This was brought up in a previous post and I thought I would note a few interesting lines from his reference to it) In self experiments followed by chemical testes, we found none of these species to be psychoactive, nor did they contain any known entheogenic mushroom constituents. We concluded that the mushrooms were inactive at teh doses prescribed, althought "narcotic influence" has been attributed to meals of lycoperdon. It is said to be used by sorceres to enable them to approach people without being seen.

Tribulus terrestris: (this plant contains the same chemicals as Syrian Rue. it's a pretty common weed. I harvested about a pound of seed during an expidention in colorado simply because I thought the seeds were interesting looking , only to find out that they are psychoactive at a later date. This is also available from healthfood stores as a supplement. )

Thus concludes my little post. I may expand a little later including information from Richard Evans Schultes work as I could greatly expand on each one of these plants. I find that Marigold , Clematis, and Magnolia are very acccessable so I may be doing further research in the near future.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: Aneglakya]
    #2884194 - 07/12/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ethnobotanical uses
Tagetes erecta (ASTERACEAE)

Amenorrhea ; Anodyne ; Bactericide ; Boil ; Bronchitis ; Cachexia ; Carbuncle8; Carminative; Cold ; Colic ; Conjunctivitis; Cough ; Depurative ; Diaphoretic; Diuretic ; Dropsyz; Dysmenorrhea; Dyspepsia ; Edema: Emmenagogue ; Eye; Fever ; Laxative; Liver8; Malaria;; Medicine ; Muscle ; Nematicide ; Parotitis; Piles; Renitis ; Respiratory ; Rheumatism; Sore; Stimulant; Stomach ; Tumor ; Vermifuge; Vulnerary

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#2885453 - 07/13/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Does this not suprise anyone.. Let me put it in simple terms.

It is suggested that Magnolia , Clematis, and marigold may be psychoactive.. have your attention yet? Now get to some research!!

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2886199 - 07/13/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hehey!
whats you plan brother, to get the plant nerds working for you? >=]
this is what i love about this garden! researching never ends...

FH

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: felixhigh]
    #2886349 - 07/13/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

precisely , now get to work cronies!

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: felixhigh]
    #2886354 - 07/13/04 01:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Where in colorado did you find Tribulus terrestris if you don't mind me asking?

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: LoneDeranger]
    #2886497 - 07/13/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Outside of estes park.

Offlinemikey_
SURFING ON SINEWAVES
Male

Loc: Liverpool
Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: LoneDeranger]
    #2886500 - 07/13/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

an interesting read, thanks!

--------------------
The poison is the dose - Paracelsus
Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food - Hippocrates

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: mikey_]
    #2886523 - 07/13/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i always thought tribulas was from africa for soem reason. crazy stuff.

let the expermentation begin.

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #2887054 - 07/13/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmmm,i have a lot of Magnolias growing around my house ,they are so beautifull... I searched in Dukes database but i could not find the "Virginiana" it had other Magnolias though....

Sometime ago some people in my forum started a conversation about "ayahuasca analog" plants that would/do grow in Mediterranean climates.The thought behind that would be to identify and locate entheogens that exist in my country (Greece).It is difficult and sometimes shortsighted for someone to base al his hopes on online providers for materials like that since a "govermental whim" can ban certain plant species and throw cold water on many entheogen lovers...FIrst we researched peganum harmala but it was nowhere to be found.I even asked a 60 year old botanist/herb collector (gave him many photos and drawings of the plant) but still this plant was elusive.Our search did not bear any fruits,at least not something that is unknown to the maority of entheogen lovers.As MAOI we located only Passiflora sp. and Tribulus Terrestris.My dog has a lot of the latter (quite litteraly!!!!!!) and brings more to our home everyday.You see,her fur is full of its spiny seedpods and sometimes she is unlycky/careless enough to have some under her paws which i remove.I found about this plant looking at online lists of Beta carboline containing plants.Eleagnus sp is anotherone that contains beta carbolines and i think its is an ornamental one.

Any info on tribolus dosage? Net gossip mentions about 15 grms for ayahuasca purposes.

UNfortunatelly i have yet to find a tryptamine containing plant in my country....

(Sorry for the crappy post i intented to write a lot more and more structured but my fever and sleep deprivation make such a task forbiding)

P.S. I have mentioned Tribulus in a rather bad spelling here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...t=1#Post2854213

Edited by Psiloman (07/13/04 06:48 PM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #2888099 - 07/13/04 11:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, i was at walmart yesterday and they had rows of that marigold. Tagetes erecta. not positive of what species exactly, but it looks identicle, plus all the different colours they have. think they were lik 97 cents or somthing too. may have to pick up a few.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: kadakuda]
    #2935543 - 07/28/04 06:00 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I would experiment but it seems dangerous without any approximate dosages...

--------------------
]

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: Wysefool]
    #2936033 - 07/28/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

at this point research seems to be more of a nessessity than bioassay.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #2942437 - 07/29/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It seems to me that if such common plants could get you high, not just sideways or sick, then we would know about it by now. Years ago I tried all kinds of plant's, sweet flag, catnip, bannana peel, dream herbs, wild dagga, wild lettuce, morning glory seeds...

I finally came to the conclusion that all the good ones are illegal.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: shroomydan]
    #2943763 - 07/30/04 07:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thats silly. So you are telling me that salvia divinorum is innefective? As is sceletium tortousum ? The point is that these plants contain chemicals that do affect the central nervous system. It's not simply based on "lore" that we research these plants , its based on scientific evidence that they do contain psychoactive compounds and it is your loss if you dont wish to research. Obviously you didn't do much research as you would have known that banana peels are a joke, morning glory seeds ARE illegal as a drug, and the other plants do contain phytochemicals that are considered to be psychoactive. There is a lot of potential in this field and it takes hard work and research to uncover a plants activity. For three years SWIM worked with Yopo seeds and had absolutely no luck at all. untill one day SWIM found the correct CaO/seed ratio and unlocked a door that allowed him to have access to ancient knowledge. I hardly consider some idiot smoking catnip and banana's to be research. It takes digging through the books and finding that lost bit of data that hasn't been recovered for years. This field isn't THAT OLD at all. I mean it was only no more than 5-10 years ago that salvia was unveiled ot be the powerfull psychoactive that it is. It was a known entheogen for a long time but no one considered it much because everyone was chewing/drinking it rather than making concentrated extracts and now we have isolated salvinorin which has been proved to be the most potent natural psychoactive compound.

OfflineDark_Raider
 User Gallery
    #2945276 - 07/30/04 02:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Me and my cousin just picked 18-20 marigolds. We steeped them in water for a bit and then filtered. We added some cranberry juice for it's acids. It tastes like some bitter tea. I suppose if we added sugar it would have been better. Well, its been about 10-15 minutes. I'll let you know how things work out.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: Dark_Raider]
    #2945514 - 07/30/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

See that could be dangerous. You gotta be sure that they have not been treated with any pesticides or chemicals. Make sure it is the correct genus too. Since little is known about consuming these plants its important to do plenty of research to make sure you are not going to get ill or have some allergic reaction. Please be carefull. oh yeah, and let us know how it goes.

OfflineDark_Raider
 User Gallery
    #2945635 - 07/30/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The marigolds were grown by a relative. They kept the little tags in the ground and it was the right species. I'm sorry to say that the brew yielded no psychoactive effects. Anybody else tried?

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Species of Interest: Ala Jon Ott [Re: Dark_Raider]
    #2945731 - 07/30/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have yet to try it but have many doubts about it. I personally wouldn't expect much and speculate that it may be similiar to Shanin in the fact that the native species they used may be different than the hybridized species we have today. I am however, a little more hopefull about magnolia. Thanks for sharing your bioassay with us Dark Raider. I had my doubts. I would really love to sit down with jon ott and talk about these reports in depth, maybe uncover some new info.

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #2947524 - 07/31/04 04:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Grovesk8ter tells me there's tons of Magnolia around here - do you know where I could find more info about it and maybe even dosage?

--------------------
]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom