Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
e-voting continues to suck, as does florida
    #2935868 - 07/28/04 12:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/28/florida.voting.ap/index.html

Florida officials: Some voting records wiped out

Wednesday, July 28, 2004 Posted: 7:53 AM EDT (1153 GMT)

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- A computer crash erased detailed records from Miami-Dade County's first widespread use of touchscreen voting machines, raising again the specter of election troubles in Florida, where the new technology was supposed to put an end to such problems.

The crashes occurred in May and November of 2003, erasing information from the September 2002 gubernatorial primaries and other elections, elections officials said Tuesday.

The malfunction was made public after the Miami-Dade Election Reform Coalition, a citizen's group, requested all data from the 2002 gubernatorial primary between Democratic candidates Janet Reno and Bill McBride.

In December, officials began backing up the data daily, to help avoid similar data wipeouts in the future, said Seth Kaplan, spokesman for the county's elections supervisor, Constance Kaplan.

The loss of data underscores problems with the touchscreen voting machines, the citizen's group said. "This is a disaster waiting to happen," said Lida Rodriguez-Taseff, chairwoman of the Miami-Dade Election Reform Coalition. "Of course it's worrisome."

The group is concerned about the machines' effectiveness, following revelations about other problems with the system. Last month, state officials said the touchscreen systems used by 11 counties had a bug that would make a manual recount impossible. Earlier this month, a newspaper study indicated touchscreen machines did not perform as well as those that scanned paper ballots.

Also Tuesday, election reform groups asked a judge to strike down a state rule preventing counties that use the machines from conducting manual recounts from them.

State election officers say manual recounts are not needed since the machines tell each voter if they are skipping a race, known as an undervote, and will not let them vote twice for the same race, known as an overvote. The officials also maintain that the computer systems running the machines can be trusted to count the votes accurately as they're cast, and give the final numbers when needed.

But lawyers representing the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups said the state should require a paper trail in case a physical recount is needed, as it was in the 2000 presidential race in Florida.

"I have concern about votes that are cast but not recorded," said Howard Simon, executive director for ACLU of Florida.

Election supervisors from some of the 15 counties using touchscreens had asked the state if they would need to go through the laborious process of printing screen images of each ballot during a recount.

The Division of Elections then ruled that state law only requires a recount to determine voters' intent, and that it is impossible to question voter intent with touchscreen ballots.

Florida counties without the touchscreen machines use optiscan technology, in which computers read voters' pencil marks on paper ballots, and would be able to do physical recounts in tight races.

Administrative Law Judge Susan B. Kirkland has 30 days to make her decision after receiving the hearing transcript, which is due back in 10 working days.

Florida's voting system has been under scrutiny since the 2000 debacle, when it took five weeks of legal maneuvering and some recounting before Republican George W. Bush was declared president.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: e-voting continues to suck, as does florida [Re: afoaf]
    #2935884 - 07/28/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's amazing that they didn't design redundancy into the system. Maybe we should get in the business of designing electronic voting systems, I'm sure it could be done a hell of a lot better... open source, paper trail/receipt of votes for each voter, raid setup or at least mirroring of data. These fuckers make big money putting together a piece of shit system... oh wait, we couldn't get contracts unless we're big donors to the current political parties in power.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: e-voting continues to suck, as does florida [Re: afoaf]
    #2935908 - 07/28/04 12:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i like how republicans oppose having evoting machines making printouts...lol... wonder why

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: e-voting continues to suck, as does florida [Re: Evolving]
    #2935912 - 07/28/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've got a water jug full of change and a streak of political geek in me.

maybe we can set up shop!

love the new avatar...I'm not a number, I'm a man!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion