Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
A few questions on bulk....
    #2935534 - 07/28/04 07:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i succefully did the pf tek, and did casings at that all werked out etc. so i decided to go to bulk. I am doing millit in 1 quart jars. What i plan to do is after the jars are colonized place a layer of straw/manure then the grain, another layer of straw/manure more grain and then a final layer of straw/manure. Will this work fine? Another question is should i sterlize the straw/manure, and if so how? Would just microwaving it for 3 minutes, let it cewl and then microwave again do the trick? I heard that it should be pasturized, but i am not sure how to do that? Putting it in a pillowcase and boiling it sounds like it would be a mess. I am also a little worried about smelling up the house with the manure. If it smells for an hour or so that isnt too big a deal, but i dont want to reak up the house for weeks LOL. 1 final question is can i put mycelium into a jar of sterlized grain to get it to colonize? I dont have any spore syrnges right now, but i have some colonized jars from doing a pf tek. I was going to open up a jar, break up some of it, put it into the grain and shake it.

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
Re: A few questions on bulk.... [Re: Kilgrin]
    #2935594 - 07/28/04 09:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you want to pasteurize the straw and manure, if you sterilize it you may have contam problems..... Read the teks they will tell you all about it.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions on bulk.... [Re: phucknut68]
    #2935600 - 07/28/04 09:26 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

pasturize in your oven 170deg for 3-5 hours on foil covered trays or you can buy oven bags. Pre soak your straw. It smells a bit when covered but you smell it the most when making the casing.

I like to use more straw then manure since it colonizes faster but still yields nicely. I got 4oz per foot with 5" of 80/20 traw/manure with good creeper growth first flush.

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
Re: A few questions on bulk.... [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2939272 - 07/29/04 04:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hey, thanks for the info. I am still wondering if i can take a colonized PF jar, break it up some and stick it into a jar of grain... would this work as long as everything was sterile? I dont have any spore syrenges right now sooooo i was thinking this would be the easiest way to get mycelium growth in there.

--------------------
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!

Offlinemescal
shroomologist

Loc: Austral Island
    #2939765 - 07/29/04 11:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Don't see why not IF the grain has been PC'd and the transfer is done in sterile conditions etc etc.Try a few jars and let us know.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: A few questions on bulk.... [Re: mescal]
    #2939825 - 07/29/04 11:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hell yes, spores are a waste of time once you get going. Some say that the mycelium lose some of thier potency over time but I have never experienced this. In addition your jars will colonize faster. I use exclusively rye so I use that technique all the time for any type of mushroom. Contamination is a small factor, but out of countless jars I have only had a few contams (from bacteria I think, nothing seen, just a funny smell.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions on bulk.... [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #2943781 - 07/30/04 09:10 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You can transfer the PF to grain in a regular room thats clean and if you allow the air to settle for a good hour before re entering and doing the grain work. Also inject 10-12cc of 3% peroxide per quart jar and shake before the transfer. It will fight off most contam spores but allow for myc growth.

Steralize the syringe by filling with alcohol then empty it and fill with the peroxide, you shouldnt have to steralize it agin after this besides flaming and wiping the needle since the peroxide should continue to keep it sterile.

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
    #2943811 - 07/30/04 09:25 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

excellent. I just bought a pressure cooker last night, so i cant wait to get to work! i plan to transfer the mycelium in a home made glove box, use sterile knife to put a few little chunks of mycelium into the grain. Once i get some grain colonized i plan to just do grain to grain for fast colonization. As always, thanks a bunch for the info! you all are invaluable = )

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2943828 - 07/30/04 09:38 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You dont even need a glovebox if oyu have a semi clean workspace.

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
    #2944368 - 07/30/04 01:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was planning on building a glove box anyway. I mean it cant hurt to be more sterile.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2945827 - 07/30/04 07:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

but why waste your time if you dont need it.

OfflineNazrula
journeyman
    #2947111 - 07/31/04 02:47 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
but why waste your time if you dont need it.

Well if it's his first time, it can't hurt to be too sterile. After he's got some experience under his belt, he can loosen up his sterility practices.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions on bulk.... [Re: Nazrula]
    #2948043 - 07/31/04 12:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Only thing is once you start doing a tek it takes a bit to stop using it. 12cc h2o2 and open air, it shouldnt contam.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2948375 - 07/31/04 02:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

it takes about 5 minutes to make a glove box out of a cardboard box, saran wrap, plastics bags and duct tape.. total cost of about $3.. peace of mind - priceless

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation