Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Silica Gel

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Preserving shrooms for display?
    #2935334 - 07/28/04 03:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Not sure if its the right forum, if not i appologize.

I am wondering if there is any way to preserve a mushroom for display. i find lots of really cool looking mushrooms, and though it would be awsome to somehow bring htem home and keep them so that they apear to be alive.

The museum here uses some sort of somthing to preserve their plants so that they apear and feel alive but are actually long dead. very unhealthy and they said it will do the same to you if you touch it. however they would not give me the name of what they use, go figure.

I would liek to keep them in a display cabinet and make a moke setting for them. i would prefer not to use jars and fameldahyde.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks,
kada

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblephobey
watcher

Loc: home
Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: kadakuda]
    #2935508 - 07/28/04 06:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well i tried disolving some various plastics in paintthinner. And the clear plastics from cdboxes melt pretty good. If you disolve just enough it will stay pretty liquid and you can put a dried shroom in there and it will suck itself full of the liquid plastic.

When the shroom starts to swell you can add more plastic to make it dry quicker. it wont regain its complete freshform tho and i have yet to try this on a fresh on. But something syas me that won?t work that good :smile: hope this helps.

peace

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
    #2935542 - 07/28/04 07:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i know there is like "liquid plastic" you can buy at hardware stores... i think basicly you put it down and let it dry and you can have up to like an inch thick of plastic... so if you just like put all your stuff on a piece of cardboard or something, and made edges for it, then poured that stuff in, i think it would be permanintly set in the plastic... next time i am at home depot i will check out the exact name of the stuff

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: Kilgrin]
    #2935795 - 07/28/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have to encase parts in plastic at work for sross sections. Basically lucite poured into a dixie cup with hte part embedded in the middle. That might work for you, but it gives off heat so don't use too much catalist, your mushie might get too mushy.

polaroids are the easiest, and they contain no schedule 1's

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: meanoldman]
    #2936684 - 07/28/04 04:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you guys thinking of fibreglass/epoxy resins? i like the idea, and probably will do it but i would kinda liek to have it as is type of thing, just preserved.

about the resins and fresh fungi. once i set it in would the heat generated screw it up? i would definatly add a thinning agent, but still would it end up rotting or something after time? or would it be good and keep shape? slight discoloration i think is alright, cant be too picky.

thanks for the help guys/gals.

kada

--------------------

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #2937070 - 07/28/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You wouldn't want to try and thin the clear plastic resin.

The heat generation can be minimal, or literally smokin' hot (done it that way).

Ever do any fiberglassing? Just like that, too much catalist and it gets hot while setting up, and air bubbles get trapped.

Give it a try. I have seen half a cheeseburger encased in Lucite. It looked fine 20 years later. It was partially eaten by Nixon, then saved and encased by somebody with too much free time.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: meanoldman]
    #2937638 - 07/28/04 08:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

haha, ya i have done a fair bit of fibreglass work. is not thinning it just for heat? i was thinking adding styrene monomer. bad idea?

--------------------

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
    #2940341 - 07/29/04 01:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I remember some time ago there was a discussion on vaccume drying mushrooms so they retained there wet volume while lowering the boiling point of water so that they dryed quicker or better or something. this was easily over a year ago, so good luck finding it. it may have been discussed again. anyhoo, i believe they were discussing using a foodsaver vaccume with jar attachment. This would give you a fully "inflated" dry specimin. it would be quite brittle though, so perhaps the plastic would be a good idea anyways. I'm 90% sure it was done successfully, but as i said it was a while ago.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: Shaw]
    #2941939 - 07/29/04 09:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You can try air drying for a day before it shrinks and shrivels then put it into a book for flat display. Encasing it in plascic will allow the shroom to rot inside. The best meathod to keep it looking fresh would be in a jar with high proof alcohol or some kind of liquid preservitive.

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2943083 - 07/30/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

from HOW TO MAKE A PLANT COLLECTION
Quote:

Such fungi as mushrooms, puffballs, etc., presents special problems because of the size, shape, moisture content, and texture. They can be dried in an oven at 100 F for 3 to 4 hours, but the shape is then lost. A much better method uses a drying agent called silica gel. Pour a layer of silica gel crystals a half inch deep in a plastic or glass container. Place the fungi on this layer and pour additional silica gel around and over them. Cover the container. Twelve hours is usually sufficient to dry most specimens. If the fungi have a stickly surface, particles of silica gel will adhere to them. These can be gently brushed off.

from http://www.nm.cz/pm/mycology/history.htm
and http://www.nm.cz/pm/mycology/predmety.htm#Tekut
Quote:

Often shown at exhibitions are also specimens in conservation liquid. Glass cylinders filled with preserving liquid contain fruitbodies of species that markedly change their shape and colour during drying and could thus hardly be exhibited in the dried form. The best for this method are members of the genera Morchella, Gyromitra, Verpa, Boletus, and Agaricus.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Preserving shrooms for display? [Re: Speeker]
    #2943485 - 07/30/04 05:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:thanx: :penis: :shrug: :cheers: :cheers: :whoa: :bow: :wexican: :gonzo: :goombah: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleep:

thanks man that was exactly what i wa slooking for.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Silica Gel

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology