Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Botanical Ninja
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Puruvian Torch cactus
    #2935330 - 07/28/04 03:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have some Pruruvian Torch cactus seeds, i was wondering what the best way to start them is?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Puruvian Torch cactus [Re: Tylor]
    #2935462 - 07/28/04 05:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

www.cactus-mall.com or just rip a google search for cactis germination. or do a search on here. there is plenty of info .

http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2936596 - 07/28/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

#2936960 - 07/28/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I copy/pasted this from our site:

Growing cacti from seed

Growing cacti from seed is a fun way to obtain large quantities of unique plants. Seed is much cheaper than mature plants and there are few things more rewarding than raising seedling cacti to flowering maturity. Although many people think it's difficult, actually it's pretty easy as long as some general rules are observed:

Use the proper compost
Preferrably a compost is used that contains little undecomposed organic matter since that may lead to problems with fungal attack. Usually special soil for seedlings/cuttings works well. Coco coir (1/3) and sand (2/3) is also good recipe. Some fine vermiculite can added to loosen the compost. For Lophophora some limestone is thrown in as well. Preferrably the soil is heat-treated in a microwave over before use.

Young seedlings should never be allowed to dry out
Unlike mature cactus plants, small seedlings should be kept in a humid environment like a miniature greenhouse. Temperatures should be between 20-30?C for the fastest growth. Only when they are about 3-4 months old, humidity can gradually be lowered to normal conditions.

a transparant jar can be used as a miniature greenhouse

Put the seeds on, not in the soil
Cacti seeds need light in order to germinate. Just sprinkle the seeds on the compost surface and water them to slightly wash them in the soil. Do not bury the seeds like you would with the seeds of most other plants. The seedlings are tiny and would never be able to reach the surface and suffocate.

Prevent and combat fungal diseases
Since the seedings are kept in a constantly humid and warm environment they are prone to attack by fungal diseases. Infected plants turn black at the base and quickly turn to a green snot. Remove these plants as soon as possible to prevent spread. The compost should always have been heat treated either in a microwave or in a pressure cooker. The use of a fungicide at the moment of sowing is highly recommended. If the soil is sprayed with Thiram few problems with fungal infections will be encountered. Always strictly observe the safety and environmental regulations concerning the use of fungicides! Regulations differ for each country!

Put them in a bright spot but don't burn them
Consider that these seedlings are baby plants that normally only germinate in cracks and crevices mostly protected from the sun. If you put the young seedlings directly in the full sun they will turn purple and die. Bright light is ok, but full sun is not! If the seedlings are turning purple, put them in a shadier place and they will return to their normal green color. In the winter some kind of artificial illumination will do wonders to keep them growing.
Fluorescent tubes work great for seedlings, put them at about 15 cm from the tubes and over the course of 2-3 months put them closer to the lights till they finally are only 5 cm from the tubes. The lights can be kept on for 24 hours/day. Growth is pretty fast when they are lit constantly.

Don't repot them too often
The young cacti will continue to grow even if they are crowded, so transplant them only when you notice that some plants are getting behind in development because they are being shaded by the larger cacti. If the seedlings get too crowded in their pots they can be transplanted and spaced further apart. Let the soil dry out a little, this makes uprooting them easier. Take great care not to damage the roots and repot them in dry soil. The rootsytem of the young plants is very delicate. Let them recover for one or two days in a shaded place and then slowly start watering them again. If they are kept too wet directly after transplanting you might risk losing them to fungal attack.

Don't over fertilize them
When the young plants are well established and have developed real spines they can be fertilized with half strength low-nitrogen fertilizer once every two months or so. Normally give them only plain water. If the tap water is of questionable quality, low-mineral spring water or rain water should be used. Of course the plants should not be fertilised during the dormant period. Too much fertiliser or minerals will sicken the compost making it impossible for the cacti to take up water.

After a few months....
If the plants have been growing nicely for about half a year they can be treated as normal cactus plants in respect to watering and dormancy although they will might need protection from the full sun. If the plants are still very small (<1 cm) and slow growing you should wait a little longer.

#2940136 - 07/29/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps the entheogenic FAQ needs to be updated. That was the first place I checked for URL's of good documents on growing cactii and I was suprised to see pretty much no information.

User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Puruvian Torch cactus [Re: utopianglory]
    #2940178 - 07/29/04 12:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, i'm lazy.

If you have good info you'd like to contribute PM it to me and i'll look it over and consider adding it.

We need new/more questions about different plants/cacti that are not already in the faq as well as some new additions to existing faq parts.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden