Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekitsune
Psilocybinaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a van down by the rive... Flag
What the hell is this stuff?
    #2935317 - 07/28/04 03:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry no pics, I'll do my best to describe it tho. After my first flush I dunked my cakes, fast forward a few days and they are covered in what looks to be white troll-doll hair, very fine and growing at right angles from the cakes to be about 1.5 - 2 inches in length. It seriously looks like whitish-grey troll doll hair. I've never heard of cobweb doing that, so what the hell is this stuff? Thanks, all.

--------------------
Foe unvanquished, I won't perish in the field;
I'll be born again, to take up the sword seven more times.

Kuribayashi Tadamichi  (1945)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is this stuff? [Re: kitsune]
    #2935714 - 07/28/04 10:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like bad news.  My bet [though it's tough without a pic] is either Mucor spp. or Rhizopus spp.  Very, very quick-growing.  I've grown this stuff on petri dishes before, and overnight it can grow so much it pushes the petri dish lids off! ! !

Does it look anything like this?

This is Mucor, aka 'strawberry rot'.  As I'm sure is obvious, dispose of with care.  Some species of Mucor have been associated with infections in healthy people [very rarely].  The one case I remember reading about, the infection started through a pre-existing open wound.  Both Mucor and Rhizopus are common environmentals.  I'm pretty sure we had some pics of it recently, where someone posted fuzzy dog turds :wink:

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: What the hell is this stuff? *DELETED* [Re: Suntzu]
    #2935722 - 07/28/04 10:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by TheHateCamel

Reason for deletion: k

Offlinekitsune
Psilocybinaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a van down by the rive... Flag
Re: What the hell is this stuff? [Re: Suntzu]
    #2939044 - 07/29/04 03:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, that's definately it, damnit. Thanks. *Sigh* Well, so much for my second flush. :sad:

--------------------
Foe unvanquished, I won't perish in the field;
I'll be born again, to take up the sword seven more times.

Kuribayashi Tadamichi  (1945)

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2939077 - 07/29/04 03:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

in my early days, someone who looks amazingly like me tried putting a bunch of rice down in a container and innoculating it only to fail and have that shit in it.

The container never smelled the same and for serility reasons, I never even use it for food anymore, It smells gross.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2939087 - 07/29/04 03:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yo, Kitsune, you should try to turn your cakes into an outdoor technique. Hopefully you can still get some flushes out of them. Good luck, man!

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: What the hell is this stuff? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #2939674 - 07/29/04 10:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's probably Dactylium in most 'cobweb' situations, though I wouldn't be surprised if Mucor/Rhizopus is sometimes labeled 'cobweb'.  ID'ing a contam just by description is shaky at best. . .ID'ing from a photograph is only slightly less shaky.  You gotta get a little tape prep or something under a scope to know for sure [and even then, it's likely only to genus!].  The good news is that the controls for fighting it are almost always the same. 
I had a Mucor accident in one of my first PF experiments.  The jars were nice and solid white, ready to birth. . .I put 8 of them in a styrofoam/perlite cooler.  Two days later, one of them looked like a cosmic explosion of 'troll doll hair'.  It was beautiful, actually;  it looked like rays shooting out from the cake for a good two inches--the single PF cake was an almost perfect sphere!  :eek:
In that case, even though the crap was running into adjacent cakes, no others became infected.  [out of curiousity, I took a small piece of tape and touched it to the surface of the fuzz, then made a slide out of it. . .Mucor!  :laugh: ]

http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/mold-spore-mucor-fungus.html

Mucor is a rapidly growing fungus that is usually dark gray or light olive gray when grown on typical laboratory media. One colony can easily cover a 15x100mm petri dish in four days. It is easily recognizable microscopically by its tall (up to 2 cm) needle like sporangiophores and large sporangium. Mucor, together with Rhizopus, is one of the most quickly invading organisms able to contaminate many kinds of stored food products. Mucor has world-wide distribution and is often found in hay, stored seeds, horse manure and house dust, regardless of geographical location. It is also frequently found in air samples from indoor environments. Accumulated dust in HVAC systems and poorly maintained carpeting may contain high concentrations of Mucor spores. One study of the most frequent molds found in house dust in samples of homes found Mucor in 98% of the samples from homes in Denmark and 31% of the samples in homes in Canada. Heavy exposure to the spores of Mucor can cause extrinsic allergic alveolitis, a type 3 (IgG) allergic response. It is generally associated with occupational exposure to wood chips and sawdust. The symptoms, which occur 6-8 hours after exposure include: elevated temperature, flu-like symptoms, general malaise, difficulty breathing and later asthma. Eliminating exposure before the onset of pulmonary fibrosis usually leads to a return to a normal, healthy state. Mucor is also a rare opportunistic pathogen, attacking individuals with significantly compromised immune systems, metabolic acidosis, uncontrolled diabetes, starvation, severe trauma or other forms of debilitation.

http://www.doctorfungus.org/imageban/index_enlarge.pl

Yeah, I'm a geek.  :tongue:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2942344 - 07/29/04 11:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

are there little black dots on the end? sounds like black pin mold for sure...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum