Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethelittlenemo
Stranger
how i goofed up the syringes...
    #2933528 - 07/27/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

this is sort of a question and sort of just a pitiful story. any feedback on what i might have done wrong is certainly welcome since i'm pretty new at this.

i ordered a print from TLG the other day and decided to make some syringes. after reading a ton of teks, i actually decided to kind of make up my own (based on others, of course). that's probably where i went wrong. anyway, here was my brilliant new syringe-making tek. critique away (i'm curious where i might have gone wrong):

i sterilized all the syringe stuff along with a batch of jars i was cooking. i filled four syringes with water and set them inside the pan (not PC) on top of the jars. i also found a small plastic cup with a sipper cap and filled it with water. i had figured out, beforehand, that half the sipper cup was about 40ccs. so i let everything steam for about an hour and then quickly grabbed the syringes and cup, threw them in a ziplock bag and tossed them in the freezer (for quicker cooling). once the water in the cup was warm to the touch (by squirting it out on my hand, not by dipping my finger in), i quickly sliced my print in half with a sterlized razor, cracked open the lid and tossed it in the cup. then i shook like mad. pretty soon the print was cleaned off and (i assume) spores were swimming around happily.

from there it was pretty easy. i sterlized the needle of each syringe, let it cool, then poked it through the little openning in the sipper-top to draw out 10 ccs. once i was done i let each syringe sit for about 20 hours (i got impatient) and then used them to inoculate the jars i had also cooked.

now...when i finished all this i thought it was brilliant. easy, fast, household items. what more could you want? the only problem is that none of the jars have done anything! it's been about a week. TLG threw in one of their syringes for free (which i used at the same time on a couple jars) and those jars are doing fine...so what went wrong with my syringes? do homemade syringes sometimes take longer to inoculate? was 20 hours too soon for the spores to rehydrate? i'm trying to decide whether to give up on syringe making and just order a ton of syringes again. gosh i feel like an idiot.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

Re: how i goofed up the syringes... [Re: thelittlenemo]
    #2933616 - 07/27/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

For some reason I think it may have to do with the jars. Did you overcook them? Are you using grain or BRF?
When I do my syringes, I usually scrape the print into a glass. Then with the syringe sux up boiled or bottled water up with the syringe. Let cool if boiled. Then squirt a drop or 4 into the clean shot glass with the scraped spores and mix around. Sux back up and repeat. After each sux up, shake the syringe. And the jars, did u clean the needle after each hole?

Edited by Juan_del_Pueblo (07/27/04 07:29 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2933664 - 07/27/04 07:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I suggest trying a fresh syringe from TLG, after you have a sucsessful grow make your own prints and try making syringes from those... it will save you tons of money and you can read a little more about printing and syringe making

try following a single tek with what you have on hand before you start developing your own.

you also may want to wait another week to see if anything starts growing... sometimes it takes a little while...

Offlinethelittlenemo
Stranger
Re: how i goofed up the syringes... [Re: Juan_del_Pueblo]
    #2933697 - 07/27/04 07:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yeah...i've inoculated jars fine before. and the fact that some from the batch turned out well (the ones inoculated with the "professional" syringe) makes me think the problem wasn't the jars. i know my technique is different than what you described, but it doesn't seem fundamentally different, you know? what's been the experience of all you syringe makers out there?

Offlinethelittlenemo
Stranger
    #2934270 - 07/27/04 10:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

am i to take it nobody makes syringes around here? or perhaps this post was just too foolish to even warrant a response.

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

#2934322 - 07/27/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

maybe next time u should use the razor to just scrap a few spores in the cup instead of throwing the whole thing in. what was the print taken on? foil? index card?

--------------------

Offlinethelittlenemo
Stranger
Re: how i goofed up the syringes... [Re: SubGen1us]
    #2934385 - 07/27/04 11:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

a little piece of clear plastic. i'm not sure exactly what tlg uses. at any rate, it seemed to clear the spores off pretty well and it seemed to have less chance of getting contaminants (which is why i did it that way).

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation