Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineazcrash
Questions for fellow bulk growers
    #2932939 - 07/27/04 04:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Im so close to having one of my rooms in my house transformed into a grow room that I can taste the oysters already :smile: 

I had a few qustions about bulk growing that I hope can be answered between the nook and shroomery. 

1.  In paul stamets books, it tells the air exchanges needed per hour.  I have no idea how to measure that.  I can adjust my hepa unit and use timers and such to turn the hepa on and off, but I dont know how to tell how many air exchanges per hour it is doing. 

2.  If I bought marine paint and panted my entire room (and i have tile flooring) do you think that would be ok to prevent my wood from rotting with the high humidity in the room?

3.  If you have grown oysters or lions mane in the past, is the best way with a straw hanging "log", or would jars/trays/or blocks work better?

4.  Last, as far as cleaning the room, what is the best methood used?  And how often do you clean it?  It will not be possible to set up a drainage system due to the way the house is set up.  Also, do you mix bleach, and if so at what amounts? 

Thanks for your help!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Questions for fellow bulk growers [Re: azcrash]
    #2934934 - 07/28/04 01:15 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

1. Fans and blowers are usually rated in cubic feet per minute. If you know the CFM of the blower, and the volume of the room it just takes simple math...

2. Yes provided you seal everything with caulk also. All the little nooks and crannies...

3. Never grown lions mane yet, but it seems for both species a vertical fruiting surface is normal.

4. The bleach bombing technique seems popular. Wash with a 10% bleach solution and seal the room up for 24 hours to let the chlorine fumes kill everything you miss. How often you clean is up to you, whenever crop cycles permit, or when contamination appears...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Questions for fellow bulk growers [Re: azcrash]
    #2939544 - 07/29/04 08:52 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

1.Use a fan that gives you at least 10 air exchanges per hour.

2. I took a cement room in a basement and painted the walls with basement sealant. I bet marine paint would be good. You'll still need a vapor barrier. At least two layers of 6 mil Visqueen. It's most often sold in the paint section near the dropcloths.

3. Straw logs are best for oysters unless your target market is asking for wood grown mushrooms. Stamets suggests packing the growroom to 1/8 its total volume.... but I found that impossible. In my 4'x8'x6' grow room I have 14 logs that are 6" in diameter (round diameter not layflat).

Clean often and thorough. Pick mushrooms before the margin expands to plane.
Consider testing a bunch of strains first.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms