Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed....
    #2932031 - 07/27/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

People seem to be so stressed out and completely given up on life. Mostly career/money stuff, but I think they've also seen some very major defeats. Part of this is because I'm working in the mental health field, but this includes people who have nothing to do with my job.

Myself, I'm extremely optamistic about things and feel a personal understanding of myself I've never felt before, but at the sametime rather stressed out about money and the future. I've been absolutly fed up and jaded about a lot of the human insitutions we have (or lack there of) to help people, and disgusted with the politics of resources for the poor, mentally ill, or people in need. It seems as if there is so much we could do, but the situations never change.

So is it just me, or have been been more pessemistic recently? How has the pub been feeling recently?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed.... [Re: Twirling]
    #2932049 - 07/27/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Luckily I hang out with very irresponsalbe people who think very little about career/money crapola so we have been very happy about life in general and enjoying it moment by moment. One of these days I'm going to get snapped back into reality and have to think about working again though.

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2932062 - 07/27/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Are you American? If so, I'm convinced it's our culture. We are disconnected from nature like never before- my god- growing and scavenging for food for most of us is a hobby- if that.

Many of us have jobs that make us feel we contribute nothing to society. (sounds like your job is not one of those though).

Everything around is is artificial in most ways....

Our dominant religions lack the feminine mothering qualities they should (imo) have.

Many of us are disconnected from our families in many ways.

We are brought up with extreme pressure to get and have anything possible, even totally worthless shit- so that our lives are consumed with this feeling of panic that we don't have enough.

We are supposed to live up to the Hollywood ideal of beauty- but
our diets SUCK. And we don't exercise nearly enough. Which both contribute to depression.

Our school system is laughable, and also ridiculously sadly inept.

We are brought up in dysfunctional families which teach us how NOT to have good relationships with the opposite sex so there is abuse and misogyny, and distrust, etc.....

Not to mention GEORGE BUSH. And teh lovely things he and his friends do for- uh- to the world. I could go on and on........

Yeah I think it is our culture.

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Edited by Phishgrrl (07/27/04 10:37 AM)

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: Twirling]
    #2932077 - 07/27/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've been noticing the same thing lately, which is probably why I spend so much time on this site.  Shroomerites seem to be much happier & optimistic than most of the people I run into in real life (hmmm...I wonder why :mushroom2: :pill2: :beer: :spliff: :bong:)  My friends are mostly laid-back stoners, so they're cool, but I work nights at AM/PM & I see a lot of bitter, miserable people.

Yet another reason I love the Shroomery!  :heart:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2932097 - 07/27/04 10:37 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This is the same conclusion I'm finding!. American culture seems to be so psychologically unhealthy, between the manipulation of identity and the hostile self-centered attitudes, it's no wonder so many people are depressed.

One person I know is being highly effected by the trend in buisness of treating employees like profit shares where people are layed off simply because it saves the company a couple thousand dollars. The worst part of it is profits have actually increased from the work the employees have put in, yet they're still being layed off simply because it pleases stock holders in the short term. Management never realizes that these are human beings who depend on the job, and it not only leaves morale at a low, but also will end up hurting productivity as well!

I think marketing has also gotten out of hand, because it ends up making people feel so used and bombarded with messages.

I try to turn myself off to the nonsense that goes on, so I think I feel a little more healthy, but it's impossible to escape without being a hermit. I've kind of also learned how to be internally happy and content without feeling so drained from the fast-paced life of American culture, but even still it's rather depressing to see others so down from it.

There are of course, other countries with far more damaging cultures. Just look at life in the Middle East. Still, from a psychological standpoint, we're so extremely unhealthy. I think the biggest difference is when you actually sit down and talk to people on a real level, you manage to retain that sense of real identity. Kind of like we're doing now, or going to the bar with friends, or a Sunday dinner with family. The nice, healthy escape.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: Renegade8]
    #2932107 - 07/27/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Renegade420 said:
I've been noticing the same thing lately, which is probably why I spend so much time on this site.  Shroomerites seem to be much happier & optimistic than most of the people I run into in real life (hmmm...I wonder why :mushroom2: :pill2: :beer: :spliff: :bong:)  My friends are mostly laid-back stoners, so they're cool, but I work nights at AM/PM & I see a lot of bitter, miserable people.

I defintely think you're on to something.  :stoned: I find that :mushroom2: :pill2: :beer: :spliff: :bong: manages to bring out the internal world and make a person feel much more adjusted (as long as we're not talking about abuse, of course). There are so many times where I felt repressed when I give in to that outside pressure and influence, but the drugs make it possible to self-actualize all of that to the point where it's laughably absurd. One of the reasons why the Simpsons are so perfect when  :stoned: :spliff: :bong: :stash:

--------------------

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

#2932192 - 07/27/04 11:22 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:
One of the reasons why the Simpsons are so perfect when  :stoned: :spliff: :bong: :stash:

Yep, the Simpsons is great when stoned 'cause it makes fun of so many aspects of everyday life.  I always notice things on that show when I'm high that I might have missed if I was sober.

And I agree that using (not abusing) drugs can help lead to more self-awareness and acceptance.  Anybody who's tripped knows what it's like to have to confront and resolve your internal issues.  I see so many sober people running away from themselves and it's kinda sad.

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2932222 - 07/27/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yup! I'm listening to Bill Hicks right now, another great media form for the psychedelicaly inspired.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2932229 - 07/27/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

nope, it's definately not just you. I think people are starting to look at the entire system as a whole and seeing how much it truley sucks

it like in school, we were introduced with the idea that our whole lives are going to be based on what job we get. think of it as being processed into a system we have no control over. basically everything we do revolves around money, and the less you have, the less you can get. the less you can get, the harder it is to survive. the harder it is to survive, the more depressed or angry we may become.

the kicker is that people rely on material things for their happiness, and so they then rely on money for their happiness. this is what we are told in school, this is what we are told through advertisements. we are literally brainwashed into thinking this. humans learn best through repetition and oh how they have repeated this over and over to us

we can't survive without money now because for the most part, we are a lazy society when it comes to basic survival techniques.

we need money to have a place to live, because everyone now seems to own a piece of this earth (which I think is retarded). you can't just live where you want because of civilization. you can't go out and hunt for you own food, there are too many of us, and mostly, the majority of us don't know how to hunt. we aren't taught how to sow really, we aren't taught to farm, etc. why do it when a company already has it done for us?

see what I mean? since this is the case, we are gong to judge ourselves and who we are based on where we work, how well we do in school, etc. is this really what our lives are all about?? it such a society, it's easy to see why many have become so jaded.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2932259 - 07/27/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

our whole society is based on lies, and lots of people are now beginning to realize this. Ive been raised on lies from the time I was barely old enough to open my eyes. Public Education. Marketing. Religion. Its taken me 10 years just to de-program myself from these forces which have been influencing my perception for my entire life. And I feel like I still have a long way to go. And the farther down the path I go, I realize more and more how screwed we are, and how little there is I can do about it.

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: kaiowas]
    #2932267 - 07/27/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Nice post, Kaiowas.  :heart:

The system is set up to funnel us into these jobs & lives we don't really want.  Of course, we don't realize we don't want 'em until we're already stuck.  That's exactly what happened to me - went to college, got the "good" job, made decent money, bought a house, then realized at 25 "this is what I was working so hard for?" 

I'd spent my whole life working toward this ideal and then I hated it when I got there.  Long story short, I managed to break out of it, but only through the good fortune of meeting some random people and spontaneously moving away.  Not everyone gets that chance - I know how lucky I am. :cool:

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2932296 - 07/27/04 12:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Great posts. I don't have any more to add except that I wholeheartly agree. Great to not feel alone on these things.

Sometimes I feel alone in these different ideas, to quote Bill Hicks "They stared at me like a dog that's just been shown a card trick".

--------------------

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

#2932337 - 07/27/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:
"They stared at me like a dog that's just been shown a card trick".

Excellent quote. :thumbup:  I've gotten used to getting that look from people as I've gotten older.

--------------------

OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: Usa
    #2933376 - 07/27/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

money gets me down most of the time, it's the only thing i really worry about

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#2934032 - 07/27/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Renegade420 said:

I agree 100%. Throughout this summer, my life and all of my friends' lives are just collapsing. People are getting hideously depressed about things, and it just feels wrong. To quote Stephen King, we are all surrounded in "slippage". But whenever I come to the Shroomery, everything is fine. This really is one of the best communities out there, if not the best.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: freddurgan]
    #2935865 - 07/28/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"Slippage" is a perfect way to describe it. This site is the only place I see people who are still trying - everyone around me seems to have given up.

--------------------

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
    #2935901 - 07/28/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Its all about how you handle your mind.  Reguardless of whats going on around you, who's sad, dying, whats corrupted, what isn't had, whats wanted, etc.... you have a mind, and thats enough to tackle any situation.

Right now I believe we need to take special care in being happy... in being cheerful, aware, conscious, alive, loving.  The more people in the world that slip into the emotion of fear, the more chances we have of having terrible outside consequences.  Unfortunately the greater part of America has allowed outside circumstances to make them fearful (economy, terrorist attacks, etc) and unfortunately it seems as if there are people on top purposefully making it that way.  In turn this emotion of fear being subjected to the American people causes them to live in it, which in turn causes the ability to manipulate to become much easier, which in turn makes it much easier for the government, businesses, and citizens themselves to get away with things unquestioned and unrestrained.

The only way to fight this seemingly impossible to avoid downfall of corruption, abuse, hate, "slippage", self-centeredness, and every other negative emotion, action, and underlying mission of imperialism of whatever is to love. 

Be aware, love one another, express fully, live consciouslly..... and thats my two cents.

And yes.... much easier said than done.  But once done it will be the easiest thing to keep up.  And now I'm going out to cut the grass  :tongue:

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Edited by Edge (07/28/04 10:40 AM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: Edge]
    #2938202 - 07/28/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I completely agree with what the others have so eloquently mentioned.  Ever since I stopped walking the road that social conditioning tried to coax me down, I've never been happier.  I feel like I reverberate with life and I am in love with existence.  Does that mean that my life is perfect?  No, not by any means!  I still get bummed out and struggle with issues on occasion.  But I feel like I now have the insight I need to live life to the fullest, and to find happiness.  And I found this insight by following my heart.  :heart:

More and more, every single day that passes, I realize that listening to your heart, that inner voice, is one of the most important things in life.

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: It seems like almost everyone I know is really depressed [Re: MOTH]
    #2938258 - 07/28/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Of course EllemyshShade, i completely agree with you.  Listen to your intuitive thoughts and live out your passion(s).  It is, obviously, the only way to fully live while experiencing your complete "path" if you will.  Both in the same.

Unfortunately I gotta get a handle on this mind yet... again.  I used to be how you sound, but eh, stuff happens i guess and you slip.  Lots of distractions out there....  But im glad to hear you've gotten yours under wraps  :thumbup:

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Offlineannielicious
pisces
Female

#2940638 - 07/29/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yes Yes Yes.  I agree with what you all have been seeing and why you think you are seeing it.  I also have noticed a trend with new colllege graduates.  They are getting out of school getting a great paying job, but are realizing that being a grown up sucks.  They do not seem to be prepared for the real world, even tho these people are 24 years old.  What I am hearing from them is that they didn't realize about how much it really costs to live, that you have bills EVERY month, you have responsibility to go to work EVERY day etc.  This one girl last night said I didn't realize how much she relied on her parents, until now.  They always made everything OK.  Well.... I think that we have become soooo PC that anything unpleasant has just been avoided or irrationalized to make it better to deal with, when doing that makes it worse, ie:  finances, work, lifes hardships.  I don't think that new adults are being prepared for the real world, they are being shown all of this wealth on TV, beauty etc and those "images" are not how it really is.  Also, I don't see a good work ethic alot of times.  The parents have given so much that the children don't realize what goes into getting these privledges, and they are set up for a hard lesson.  Being mislead by money, greed, beauty, things, and laziness doesn't do anyone any favors.  I too would be depressed if everything I believed to be true isn't. 

However, this is how it is.  This world isn't fair or perfect, so ... realize that and move onto your real life.  I see alot of folks just complaining about how rough it is, but I say... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.    No one can help you but yourself, rally your resources of friends and family, get realistic about what you can do now and DO IT.  Behave your way to success.  Often when I am getting overwhelmed, I break it down as to which problems are he worst, seeing what would make it better and take baby steps toward the goal.  It is amazing what some proactivity on your own behalf can do.  Also, first and most important.. tell yourself every day you are worth the effort and deserve the best you can create for yourself.  I have found self talk to be one of my best tools to create empowerment and a positive life for myself.

Sorry for the soap box, but I have been wanting to say this for a while. 

Everyone here seems to be compassionate and wanting change for those around us.  Be a good friend but do not enable them.  Live by example and people will notice how happy you are, and will start to ask questions.

Shroomerites WILL save the world

:heart:

--------------------
"Everything that limits us, we have to put aside."  Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck