Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ
    #2928234 - 07/26/04 12:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

this is amazing. simply put. ive only read through the prologue and the theories produced are tantalizing and appealing to the shroomer. read this!!!! :thumbup: The Psilocybin Solution

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #2928285 - 07/26/04 12:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What a garbage read.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2928307 - 07/26/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I love how the author continually pumps up the aztecs as a great nation and condemns the conquistadors all the while ignoring the aztecs participated in genocide and the destruction of subservient people's culture just as much as any european catholic people.

The documentation of aztec mushroom use is thorough, so that's good. It just goes to show that a mushroom-based religion is just as foolish, dogmatic, and dangerous as any bible-based christian religion. I see the aztec's meeting the spanish as two idiotic war-mongering cultures meeting and doing battle, not the popular new-age version of the nice groovy aztecs being pounded by the evil conquistadors.

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2928375 - 07/26/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
I love how the author continually pumps up the aztecs as a great nation and condemns the conquistadors all the while ignoring the aztecs participated in genocide and the destruction of subservient people's culture just as much as any european catholic people.

The documentation of aztec mushroom use is thorough, so that's good. It just goes to show that a mushroom-based religion is just as foolish, dogmatic, and dangerous as any bible-based christian religion. I see the aztec's meeting the spanish as two idiotic war-mongering cultures meeting and doing battle, not the popular new-age version of the nice groovy aztecs being pounded by the evil conquistadors.

Murder/Self-sacrifice can either be spiritual or it can be evil. Didn't Krishna teach you anything?

-ergot :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2929044 - 07/26/04 04:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

all I can agree with is that life is amazing, mushrooms are a riot and dragons are the result of superimposition or overlay, but of what I think that is debatable.

personally there are so many "why" -type questions in this that it becomes completely untrustworthy.

anyone knows "why" is not a working question, it is a child's plea for attention. --- the only answer to a "why" is love and attention. you can say anything.

I guess I am a question bigot, "what" or "how" are decent question types "who" is OK but might lead to an argument while "what" could lead to to endless information - long stories, and paintings even -

meantime "why" leads to inadequate brief stepwise answers, or to re-requesting with branches, the answers to "why" are never good enough.

Edited by redgreenvines (07/26/04 04:59 PM)

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2929117 - 07/26/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
all I can agree with is that life is amazing, mushrooms are a riot and dragons are the result of superimposition or overlay, but of what I think that is debatable.

personally there are so many "why" -type questions in this that it becomes completely untrustworthy.

anyone knows "why" is not a working question, it is a child's plea for attention. ---  the only answer to a "why" is love and attention. you can say anything.

I guess I am a question bigot, "what" or "how" are decent question types "who" is OK but might lead to an argument while "what" could lead to to endless information - long stories, and paintings even -

meantime "why" leads to inadequate brief stepwise answers, or to re-requesting with branches, the answers to "why" are never good enough.

The attempt to answer why should be the pursuit of any reality-probing mind, whether it is focused on spirituality or science.

That book will aid in stimulating thought, if nothing else.

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: ergot]
    #2929200 - 07/26/04 05:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Murder/Self-sacrifice can either be spiritual or it can be evil.

Cool I never said otherwise. Go back to school.

Didn't Krishna teach you anything?

But wait, how could I have not understood his teachings when I never read anything by him.. oooohh I see. Boy did you just trick me into betraying my lack of "spiritual" knowledge or what?

The attempt to answer why should be the pursuit of any reality-probing mind, whether it is focused on spirituality or science.

astute observations like this are so hot right now

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: ergot]
    #2929337 - 07/26/04 06:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ergot said:

That book will aid in stimulating thought, if nothing else.

replace "Why" with "How" and you have a chance to do some science, otherwise you end up in a bit of a courtroom trying to turn systems theory into linear causation, which never works.

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

#2929466 - 07/26/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:

oh so what if he loves the aztecs. anyways, sure they commited genocide, but not nearly in the magnitude of the european catholics.
Europeans came over and wiped out millions of natives.Big difference between a bunch of battles, which were mainly geared at sacrifice anyways, and someone coming into your city and killing an assload of unarmed innocent people on one of the holiest days of your year. the Aztecs always had sacrifces in mind. have you seen thier weapons? most of them are non-lethal; clubs, tiny little arrows, and thier so called "swords" were really just clubs with obsidian spikes on the edges. The goal was to capture the enemy for sacrifice. they believed the sun itself would not rise without sacrifice. Christians killed for gold, glory,land,fame and oh yeah, God( not even really, sometimes it was convert or i'll kill you.)

Quote:

The religions were not mushroom-based first off, the mushrooms were consider dieties themselves, and only apart of minor cults and sections of the Aztec religion. we really dont know for sure to the extent they were revered, but it definately wasn't Mushroom-based in its entirety. Theres a BIG BIG difference between dogma and doctrine, and direct experience. It is insulting to me, and to my Allies, The Sacred Little Ones for you to compare truth and wisdom gained in such an ecstatic trance, to something so flabergasted as the bible.Surely if you understood the mushroom experience wellyou would not think revering them as foolishness.(c'mon, lets give em some respect, afterall they deserve it, they have brought us here together haven't they?) the mushroom worship was only a small part, the real deal goes with the experience and the acquiring of knowledge. you have to remember, humans at one time were at odds with nature, and they had to find a way survive, and acquire knowledge about the world around them by any means possible. There would be no room for impractical knowledge, so why else would they use the mushrooms for divination? it had to have worked, which is why the practice of shamanism has been around for so long. You dont see aboriginal people thumping big ass books or texts to help them out. To call both societies idiotic is idiocy in itself. Seeing as you are somewhat intelligent, i dont  even have to name the countless great architetual, spritual, and mathematical accomplishments that the aztec and Mixtec cultures had. War mongering?They needed sacrifice. The Gods needed to see blood flow, so that things could go as according to plan. And how do you know so well what is popular consesus about the whole situation? Im sure if i killed millions of your people with my advanced weapons and diseases everyone would think im a dick too. :rasta: i can't believe we are descendents of these Euro-Asswipes. :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2929757 - 07/26/04 08:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I agree :thumbup:

I have read some of that book, and I liked it alot. (I skipped past the history stuff, as I have read alot, but I was interested in the xplanations of how psilocybin works in the brain  :laugh: )

The one of the coolest parts was when he explained that Psilocybin(and other typtamines) dull the effects of the Raphe cells in the back of the brain.

The Raphe cells are there to stop your brain from getting overloaded with information , sight , hearing feeling etc etc.

As my friend Andrew put it in song we wrote on acid......."I've been.................. inhibiting my inhibitors ...that have been inhibiting me" :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (07/26/04 09:36 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #2929852 - 07/26/04 09:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

One important thing the remember about the Aztecs is that the "flower wars", whose purpose was to gain victims for sacrifice from tribes already conquered, did not begin until about 100 years before the Spanish conquest. Up until then human sacrifice was on a rather small scale. The notion that the sun would stop moving and the world would be destroyed for the fourth time unless the sun god was nourished with large amounts of human blood was INVENTED by a priest politician in an attempt to keep the large priest and warrior class employed after the Aztec tribe had conquered all their neighbors. During this hundred years of the flower wars the occasional human sacrifice was replaced by assembly line style human butchery atop the step pyramids. At the dedication of one temple during this period 20,000 men, women, and children had their hearts ripped out to "honor" the false god.

At the same time many holy visionaries in Mexico were predicting the overthrow of the Aztec empire by white men from across the sea, led by the legendary Toltec priest/god, Quetzecuatl, who shunned human sacrifice offering only butterflies to the "God of the close vicinity", "The inventor of himself", "the God of duality", "He who is at the naval of the Earth and above the highest level of the heavens, in the place of duality", "the One True God."

These people were warned by their prophets yet they persisted in their abominable blood lust.

If there was ever a culture that needed to be conquered it was the Aztecs.

And mushrooms had nothing to do with it.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2931542 - 07/27/04 07:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

so,

its okay to kill people if its for some silly hokey-pokey religious belief, but its not okay to kill people for profit?

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2931649 - 07/27/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Surely if you understood the mushroom experience wellyou would not think revering them as foolishness
Revering them as what?

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

#2931678 - 07/27/04 10:00 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

[b]revering them as what[/b]

as nothing less than the flesh of the gods. a one way calling card with the source, the center of everything, all that is, the collective consciousness, or God. whatever.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2932504 - 07/27/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sure they commited genocide, but not nearly in the magnitude of the european catholics. Europeans came over and wiped out millions of natives.Big difference between a bunch of battles, which were mainly geared at sacrifice anyways, and someone coming into your city and killing an assload of unarmed innocent people on one of the holiest days of your year.

So you are saying that it is fine to wipe out a culture, as long as it isn't too big?

One death is a tragedy, one million deaths is a statistic. -Stalin

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2933947 - 07/27/04 09:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

All of that is just a bunch of unoriginal old hat stuff.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: The Psilocybin Solution: A MUST READ [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2935558 - 07/28/04 08:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Surely most why type questions could be rephrased to what or hows anyway...

i.e "Why is the sky blue?" = "What makes the sky blue?"

so are what questions really superior to why questions?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2936785 - 07/28/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Cool- thanks for the link. I will check it out. :smile:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology