Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Children to be immunised against drugs
    #2925873 - 07/25/04 12:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Children to get jabs against drug addiction
Ministers consider vaccination scheme. Heroin, cocaine and nicotine targeted
By Sophie Goodchild and Steve Bloomfield
25 July 2004

A radical scheme to vaccinate children against future drug addiction is being considered by ministers, The Independent on Sunday can reveal.

Under the plans, doctors would immunise children at risk of becoming smokers or drug users with an injection. The scheme could operate in a similar way to the current nationwide measles, mumps and rubella vaccination programme.

Childhood immunisation would provide adults with protection from the euphoria that is experienced by users, making drugs such as heroin and cocaine pointless to take. Such vaccinations are being developed by pharmaceutical companies and are due to hit the market within two years.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/story.jsp?story=544439

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: Xlea321]
    #2925921 - 07/25/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

wft?

how is that even possible?

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: ]
    #2925923 - 07/25/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

They create targeted antibodies that attach to the molecules of the drug, thereby provoking an immune response, and also (i think) screwing up the metabolism of the drug/ability to cross the blood/brain barrier.

Nasty mojo. I'll see if i can't find a link.

http://cocaine.org/vaccine/drugvaccine.html
There's a good one....for more articles, google "antibodies, drug vaccine" without the "
Not too in depth.....but a good overall picture.
I'm kinda curious as to how they intend to manufacture the antibodies....because if they can make targeted antibodies for molecules, then they can do it for virii, (such as aids, syphillis, etc) and quite possibly for cancer cells.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Edited by Randolph Carter (07/25/04 12:37 PM)

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2926663 - 07/25/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

what gives these people the right to say what we can or cannot experience? this idea is ridiculous

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2926757 - 07/25/04 05:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, when you live where you do what do you expect?

But at least guns are illegal.  :rotfl:

You and your countrymen are getting what you deserve.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblematts
matts

#2926793 - 07/25/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Great! Let's immunise people against opiates, and cocaine, so they become useless medically! Screw facial and dental surgery, and pain management... we have to stop the kids from getting high!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2926899 - 07/25/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, doesn't that seem extremely risky? Messing around with a person's ability to feel euphoria is something I'd detest. Why are ministers the one considering this??!

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: Twirling]
    #2927263 - 07/25/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This choiced is forced amoung families? I hope they can cure addiction one day.

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: Twirling]
    #2927334 - 07/25/04 10:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

>> Why are ministers the one considering this??!

Exactly... shit, now ministers can't get the children high and have anal sex with them. What are they thinking?

Christian ministers (I am not very aware of any other religion, there may be others), or any person who is extremely religious, have a strange need control the lives of everyone around them. For example, they need to go to other countires and force their religion on people who have had a strong belief system before their intervention. They feel the need to convince people to do what they consider right... at any cost. Oh, and the anal sex... can't for get that. I really hate religion for that reason... because they can't leave well enough alone and let people make their own choices/mistakes, and force their beliefs on others.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: matts]
    #2927369 - 07/25/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That shit sounds like it could really fuck your body up. Immagine if these antibodies attacked normal chemicals or cells in the brain? This shit can't be good.

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: MAGnum]
    #2927476 - 07/25/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Heh yeah... good point. If they immunized you against morphine, I wonder what it might do to your normal endorpins?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2927614 - 07/26/04 12:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Strange to see you knocking it luv. It would've stopped you becoming a hopeless crackhead. Why knock it?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #2927739 - 07/26/04 01:04 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, I've heard about this in the past but it never sounded like anything was really going to happen...it is after all an extreme thing to do that in imo would be unconstitutional.

People really must think drugs are the devil. To fuck w/ a childs brain and ability to feel pleasure so that they dont have the choice to do drugs.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: DailyPot]
    #2927773 - 07/26/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the solution drug abuse is to legalize pot

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2927840 - 07/26/04 02:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This is such a bad idea on so many levels, that I don't even know where to start...

I actually believe that this is something, that we aren't even close to doing technologically, and when that day comes (in 10-20 years), we really need to think about the social implications of such things.

Chemically limiting a person's choices is one more step towards post-humanity; of being less human. It also flies in the face of traditional Christianity, in which God endowing man with the ability to choose between good and evil is a very important cornerstone.

Chemically-enforced, pre-defined, choice, is no choice at all, and it makes a mockery of both man and god. It is a few people playing god, and deciding the future of all of us. I can imagine the people most in favor of such methods of control would be civil-bureaucrats and social-architects. People who view humanity in a very cold and calculating manner; like they view the construction of highway interchanges, or new prisons. It's terribly Orwellian in the worst way conceivable.

PS: I believe the "ministers" they are talking about are governmental ministers (i.e. the Minister of Finance, or the Minister of Health). This article is from England, and they speak differently.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2927876 - 07/26/04 03:14 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:

Strange to see you knocking it luv. It would've stopped you becoming a hopeless crackhead. Why knock it?

How predicatable PinochhiAl. Another lame attempt at insult.

When people like you and many of those from your country scream for the government to do this, that and the other thing..... why are you surprised when then keep right on rolling along doing things you don't want them to do?

You and those like you are your own worst enemies. It's just too bad that those who can do for themselves have to suffer right along with you.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2928586 - 07/26/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You are a self-confessed crack addict are you not? You have said it on the board. What insult is there in me pointing this out in context of your reply? Don't be so paranoid. No-ones "insulting" you.

I'm not screaming for the government to do anything. I'm not even sure if I'm for it. But surely those people such as yourself who cannot handle their high and have problems with addiction need all the help they can get. I repeat, why knock it?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Children to be immunised against drugs [Re: matts]
    #2928616 - 07/26/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Great! Let's immunise people against opiates, and cocaine, so they become useless medically!

I'm not sure if the idea is the drug stops working, I would imagine it's more related to stopping the euphoria.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Children to be immunised against [Re: Xlea321]
    #2928632 - 07/26/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

As mentioned in the page i linked, one of the effects of the antibody binding is making the chemical too large to effectively be taken into the brain from the .

Which would stop effects altogether.
I honestly don't see a way for them to alter the euphoria aspect of any chemical without disallowing the activity of the chemical entirely, short of some massive genetic work, which our government won't allow.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Children to be immunised against [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2928873 - 07/26/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I believe Randolph Carter is correct. It's a matter of targeted imuno-system binding and not of limbic reward-pathway mediation.

That later, which is much more horrific, probably won't be effectively applicable for many decades, while the former, might be "ready for prime-time" in a decade. Either way, they are both horrible ideas to apply on a mass scale.

If such technology was applied on a limited, consensual, basis with someone who was struggling with a drug problem that's one thing, but to biologically pre-limit one's ability to choose proper behavior, is just horrible in its implications.

Such wide-spread application, would also require a fundamental shift in government to a level of big-brotherness, which would make anybody's current concerns seem paranoid. It is conceivable, but god help us, if it's probable...

The cleverness required to figure out how to do something, is not as important as the wisdom to know whether or not to do it.

As a civilization, we will soon be entering a stage of bio/nanotech-adolescence, which will make our recent nuclear-adolescence seem like a child's squabble in the sand box...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale