Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Demopublican Conventions
    #2926557 - 07/25/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

With the DNC Convention starting the week of the 26th(this week) and the GOP Convention starting in late August, I want to pose this question to the members of this board, specifically the supporters of Bush and Kerry: Do you support the use of tens of millions in taxpayer dollars to finance these conventions?

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Demopublican Conventions [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2926566 - 07/25/04 06:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

absolutely not.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Demopublican Conventions [Re: ]
    #2926734 - 07/25/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What he sid. ^ ^ ^ ^

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
    #2926749 - 07/25/04 07:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yea they are pretty dumb, especially because the candidate is already chosen.... Arnt the conventions supposed to be a debate within a party as to who they will endorse?  That dosent happen anymore, basically all the convention is now is a commercial for the party, placed directly in the news  :yawn: i got better things to do than watch conventions, like reading the shroomery  :regularshroom: or smoking cannabis  :wexican:

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Demopublican Conventions [Re: DieCommie]
    #2926879 - 07/25/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I second that notion DieCommie.

They used to use conventions to fight over what is on the party platform. Different issues would be brought to the table and people would duke it out, or so I am told. I never paid much attention to them when I was a kid. Well the story goes the old fights were too divisive, and no party wanted to air their dirty landry on TV.

What I get a kick out of is that the Democrats have a quota system for their delagates. Look for a perfectly proportioned crowd by mandate.

I look forward to some of the speeches though. I don't know who is speaking for the DNC, but I will probably watch the highlights. Also, look for Democrat Zell Miller to get a standing ovation when he addresses the Republican Convention. Zell Miller is good people. I will be watching for Arnonld as well.

The debates will be the big show, and they will most probably decide the election if the race stays so tight. Head to head is always good theatre.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2926885 - 07/25/04 08:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I guess I didn't answer the question though. I would vote to not spend the money on the conventions. Those bought and paid for political frauds have plenty of our money to begin with.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Demopublican Conventions [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2926916 - 07/25/04 09:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The debates will be the big show, and they will most probably decide the election if the race stays so tight. Head to head is always good theatre.

Sorry, but I must disagree. Not only are the debates NOT good theatre, I would say they are extremely boring and just about obsolete. The fact that viewership for the debates has been consistently down since 1988(when, surprise!, a group made up of the two major parties took control of the debates from the private group that had run them for the last few years, the league of woman voters) shows just how fed up people are getting with them. The debates need to be dynamic and need to be made up of more than just the two major party candidates. I would say any presidential candidate with a mathematical chance(enough potential electoral votes) to win the presidency should be allowed in the debates. I implore everyone to check out Open Debates, an organization actively trying to make the debates more dynamic(allow for TRUE town-hall style debates without pre-screened and soft questions) and open debates.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2926930 - 07/25/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Think of the debates though, you have Bush I and Bob Dole against Billy Bo Clinton. Watching elder Bush debate was like pulling teeth ("Wouldn't do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture"). I don't know anyone that would want to watch Bob Dole debate ("Bob Dole says this, Bob Dole stands for that"). Our last debate was Bush vs. Gore. Everyone knew they were both of bunch of yahoos. Now it is Bush vs Kerry. This election is about who you hate more! I think the point is that if you want better debates you need to get more exciting candidates. The only good debator of the bunch was slick Willie, and he of course was a MasterDebator.

Still, head to head is always quite telling. Bush took it from Gore during the debates in my opinion, and I think he will have to win them against this liberal as well.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
    #2927316 - 07/25/04 11:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Absolutely not. They are quite interesting, and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the RNC protests, but they are the first in a long line of campaign finance reforms (REAL reforms) that need to be made.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2927602 - 07/26/04 02:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's a no-brainer. NO!

Both parties have got the coin to buy the air time required to televise their conventions. Not a dime of taxpayer's money should be involved.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion