Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
mushroom ID
    #2926067 - 07/25/04 01:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hey i found these outside, was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are...

So basicly they are tanish when closed, and turn out white, with tan spots when they open. They were found in connecticut (its summer here) growing in the shade on woodchips. The spore print is brown and red... the brown is very dull and the red is really bright, like a typical red colored pencil. I forgot to check if the stem was hollow or not, but it seemed pretty dense. The caps are about 1" in diamater closed, and 3-4" when open. The stems are about 1-2" long. They have gills and i think they are attached... (i am not really sure how to tell atached from non-atached) i was just curios as to what these mushrooms might be.

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: mushroom ID [Re: Kilgrin]
    #2926156 - 07/25/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Looks to be some sort of Lepiota, but the color you
say the spore print showed doesn't coincide with any
species I know of off hand. As always, never consume
any mushroom that has not been positively identified.
Some species of Lepiota; L. clypeolaria, L. josserandii,
L. lutea, to name a few, are poisonous. L. josserandii
or Deadly Lepiota being well worthy of its title.

Happy hunting!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: mushroom ID [Re: Kilgrin]
    #2926185 - 07/25/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Your specimens appear to be Lepiotas in the photos. How did you get a spore print? It sounds like you rubbed the cap bases against the paper, and juices from the mushrooms stained the paper. Getting a spore print often requires waiting overnight to get enough spores. The spore prints of Lepiotas are white.

To determine whether the gills are attached, the easiest way is to slice a mushroom in half vertically. From the inside it's pretty obvious if the gills are attached to the stem. When you do this, also note any color changes on the inside of the sliced mushroom.

As cfsimmons mentioned, there are several deadly poisonous species of Lepiota. The size range you described for the open caps suggests that yours are not among the deadly species.

Another feature that is important in Lepiotas is the stem shape. Is it club shaped (thickest near the base) or spindle shaped (thickest near the middle and tapered at both ends)?

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck