Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineInjectTruth
Wasting my Time,Waiting for theEnd
Male

Loc: New Jerusalem
Has anyone else had this problem? Persistent MycoBag contam
    #2925617 - 07/25/04 11:54 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I have done the pf tek, cased cakes, and done bulk several times over the last two years. I usually just make jars, and then do the lazy bag method to get more spawn. Recently, I decided to spend a little extra cash to cut down on contams by buying pre-sterilized myco bags, and fresh "contam-free" syringes from both TLG and Spores 101. Well out of about 20 mycobags that were all injected with the same spores, only 4 actually colonized. All the rest got horrible nasty yellow contams and wet spot.

Im positive my sterile procedure is fine, because my jars never come out like this. Its leading me to believe that these products arent as carefully quality controlled as they say. The mycobags I have been receiving lately have all looked overly wet. I know mycobag is very good with there customer service as far as replacements go, but it is still a hassle to have to return something every single time you receive an order. I mean, Ive bought 3 shipments of mycobags just to make sure it wasnt me, and I used spores from both spores101 and TLG. Whats up with all this? How much can you really mess up, "Flame syringe, swab with alcohol, swab bag with alcohol, 1/2cc - 1cc, done." Anyone else noticing this?

--------------------
On a personal level, Freaking Out is a process whereby an
individual casts off outmoded and restricting standars of
thinking, dress, and social etiquette in order to express
CREATIVELY his relationship to his immediate environment and
the social structure as a whole.

http://www.OrganicPharming.com - Ethno Shopping Portal

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekornkob101
journeyman
Re: Has anyone else had this problem? Persistent MycoBag contam [Re: InjectTruth]
    #2925866 - 07/25/04 02:14 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I had that problem with mine too. But I fixed it permanently, I built a GLOVEBOX! It's the only way to do it. The moister is fine nothing to worry about. My bags got contaminated everytime when I didn't use a glovebox and now, no contams.

Another trick, don't shoot all your bags up at once. Do 1 or 2 to see if they contam, if they don't then do the rest. That way you dont throw away all that money you invested in the bags.

Offlinebudro
journeyman
Re: Has anyone else had this problem? Persistent MycoBag co [Re: InjectTruth]
    #2926233 - 07/25/04 04:47 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

i also have noticed sustrate looking too wet right from mycobag.com.currently have 5 going,three going real good ,one slow and the last is a corn morph 5lb bag going slow.

OfflineInjectTruth
Male

Re: Has anyone else had this problem? Persistent MycoBag contam [Re: kornkob101]
    #2926250 - 07/25/04 04:53 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I dont understand why the bags would need a glove box to be innoculated when jars dont. My contam rate with jars isnt as bad as with bags, but i use the same method. I might try it, but I think there is more to it still.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone else had this problem? Persistent MycoBag con [Re: InjectTruth]
    #2926542 - 07/25/04 06:25 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Contact MycoBag. They have excellent customer service... so does TLG (I haven't tried Spores 101 yet but I hear great things)... although it is hard to say who fucked up this time. Unfortunately, I suspect you fucked up.

The air in your inoculation room can change from day to day. Contams may come from outdoors or the trash. Make sure your room is sterile. You may have sucked air into your syringes.

Mycobags need to be mashed and you want to inject between the substrate and the wall of the bag. NOT THE MIDDLE OF THE SUBSTRATE. If you failed to do either of these things, your bags will stall... and possibly contam.

You may want to try making a jar, steralizing, and opening the lid to expose to the air... see what grows. Find out if the same contams grow. This is a non scientific way to see if it was your air, or the MycoBags that caused the contams.

20 MycoBags contaminating AFTER you injected them... and none before. Doesn't sound like it is MycoBag's fault to me... but like I said, contact them, they have excellent customer service.

Good luck.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineInjectTruth
Male

Re: Has anyone else had this problem? Persistent MycoBag con [Re: Rose]
    #2927245 - 07/25/04 11:32 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Thank you for your input. I was not aware you were supposed to inject the bags in between the bag and the substrate. Can you also squirt it on top of the grains, as to reduce the chance of puncturing the bag? I am an asshole I guess, but Ive never seen that in the instructions on mycobag.com.
As far as mashing them goes, do you mean just squishing the substrate BEFORE you inoculate to loosen it up? I didnt know this either. Ive read the mycobag instructions a bunch and dont remember seeing either of those points mentioned. Thanks again Cervantes, (Jorge? From OG?)

--------------------

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2927274 - 07/25/04 11:39 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Yeah, the more you shake the bag, the more scatterred the mycelium. The more scatterred up bits of mycelium, the faster it spreads.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2927429 - 07/26/04 12:47 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Yup, you heard me correctly, and nope, wrong Cervantes... Not the Soul Caliber 2 Ghost Pirate either.

MycoBag doesn't post instructions because there are murky laws that could make it problematic. Especially if it looked like MycoBag sold bags with the intent helping people grow magic mushrooms. Sadly, since the instructions are the same for many edibles and medicinals but instructions have to be found elsewhere.

Best to search the Shroomery Forums, the search function here rocks... I'm not just saying that to make you feel dumb... Shroomery Search is much better than Google. There's tons of info here on everything MycoBag. More than I could post in one sit.

Oh, and contact MycoBag. In my experience, it seems they like their first time customers to succeed. Be nice and as honest as you can (although sometimes people need to use creative phrasing). MycoBag understands their instructions leave something to be desired.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineInjectTruth
Male

#2928291 - 07/26/04 12:36 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks again dude. I'm not a first time customer, this is just a persistent problem Ive had nagging me for a while. Im guessing its totally due to my injecting into the middle without loosening the substrate. I will from now on inject the spores on the top and sides after loosening the grain somewhat. Mycobag has already replaced so many of my bags that I dont want to make them replace any more. They are good people. I'll give it one more shot with these new tips in mind.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2928469 - 07/26/04 01:52 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

I predict success for you in the future. When you mash the bags, mash 'em until they have the consistancy of potting soil. Mash 'em once or twice, after colonization starts too. They will colonize faster that way.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlineblinky2
journeyman
    #2959812 - 08/03/04 12:24 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

how did your future attempts turn out, pm me please im also considneing buying from them, what kinda bags did you buy?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation