Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
The Magic of Mistakes
    #2924508 - 07/24/04 10:20 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The Magic of Making Mistakes

Many folks come from and live in the world of academics, a world where mistakes are perceived as bad and to be avoided. In the world of education, the more mistakes a person makes, the less intelligent that person is thought to be.
Other people, like me, have different views on making mistakes. For instance; the mistakes are opportunities to learn something new, something we did not know before. The more mistakes a person made, the more the person learned. There is a bit of magic hidden in every mistake. So the more mistakes I make and I take time to learn from, the more magic I have in my life.
The example of learning to ride a bicycle is a good analogy to reinforce the idea of the magic found in mistakes. Just remember the frustration you went through as you struggled to learn how to ride a bicycle. All your friends are riding but all you are doing is climbing on the bicycle and immediately falling off. You make mistake after mistake. Then suddenly, you stop falling off, you begin to peddle, the bike begins rolling, and then suddenly, like magic, a whole new world opens to you. That is the magic found in mistakes.

Other Mistakes
A company named Diamond Fields, was formed to look for diamonds, which were never found. The company's head geologist had made a mistake. Yet, instead of finding diamonds, they struck one of the largest nickel deposits in the world. Their stock price soared upon the discovery. Today, although the name remains Diamond Fields, they make their money in nickel.

Levi Strauss headed for the gold fields of California to strike it rich in mining. However, he was not a good miner, so he instead began sewing pants out of canvas for the miners who were successful. Today, I think most of the world has heard of Levi's pants.

It is said that Thomas Edison would never have invented the light bulb if he had been an employee for the company he ultimately founded -- General Electric. It is said that Edison failed over 10,000 times before finally inventing the light bulb. If he had been an employee of a major corporation, he would most likely have been fired for making so many mistakes.

Christopher Columbus's big mistake was that he was looking for a trade route to China and accidentally bumped into America, the richest, and most powerful country in the world.

The Art of Making a Mistake

Instead of avoiding mistakes, learn the art of making a mistake and gaining wisdom from it.
The first thing that happens after you make a mistake is that you become upset. Everyone I know gets upset. That is the first indication of a mistake. At this point of upset, you find out who you really are.

Chorus: Who you really are?

At the moment of upset, we primarily become one of these following characters.
1. The Liar. The liar will say such things as: "I didn't do that." or "No, no, no. It wasn't me." or "I don't know how that happened." or "Prove it."
2. The Blamer. The blamer will say such things as: "It's your fault, not mine." Or "If my wife didn't spend so much money, I would be better off financially." or "I would be much more stress-free if I didn't have you kids." Or, "Customers just don't care about my products." Or "Employees just aren't loyal anymore." Or, "You weren't clear in your instructions." or "It's my boss's fault."
3. The Justifier. The justifier says things such as: "Well, I don't have a good education, so that is why I don't get ahead." Or "I would have made it if I had more time." or "Well, everyone else was doing it."
4. The Quitter. The quitter says things such as: "I told you that it would never work." Or "This is too hard and it's not worth it. I'm going to do something else easier." Or "Why am I doing this? I don't need this hassle."
5. The Denier. Also known as "the cat in the litter box," which means this person tends to bury his or her mistakes. The person who denies that he or she has made a mistake often says things such as: "No, there is nothing wrong. Things are fine." Or "Mistake? What Mistake?" Or "Don't worry. Things will work out."
6. The Self-Defeater. The self-defeater will take responsibility, but not in a very constructive way. A person who sulks needlessly in guilt will say such things as: "I am such a failure. I knew I should've taken Mr. Skorpivo's advice." Or, "I am so dumb, I didn't even see what was coming."

When people are upset due to a mistake or accident, one or more of these characters will take over their mind and body. If you want to learn and gain wisdom from this priceless mistake, you have to let The Responsible You eventually take control of your thinking. The Responsible You will eventually say, "What priceless lesson can I learn from this mistake?"
If a person says, 'What I learned is that I'll never do this again,' he or she has probably not learned much. Too many people live in a diminishing world because they continue to say, 'I'll never do that again' instead of saying, 'I'm glad that happened because I learned this or that from the experience.' Besides people who avoid mistakes or waste mistakes never see the other side of the coin.

Spread the Wisdom

Why do so many people repeat their mistakes, countless times? Perhaps it is because, like many other people, they have not been taught how to learn from their mistakes... So share. Share the gems of Wisdom.

Chorus: `O share the gems..

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: The Magic of Mistakes [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2924729 - 07/25/04 12:04 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

How about admit your mistakes and move on in a guilt free manner.

Anonymous

Re: The Magic of Mistakes [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2924986 - 07/25/04 02:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The best advice I ever heard is, replace the word 'problem' in your thoughts with 'oppurtunity.' Every mistake is a learning experience.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology