Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepazuzu
Shroom-o-Vision
Cool skills learned while tripping
    #2924502 - 07/24/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've found psychedelics to be quite remarkable in their ability to enhance certain skills above and beyond what should be expected for casual practice. For example, when I got my first PC (1994) I couldn't type worth a damn, but months later I took a hit of acid and spent a great deal of time writing a trip log. I found that if I closed my eyes I could see the keyboard perfectly well as an afterimage, and I could type fast and accurately with my eyes closed! To this day, I have retained that ability.

Also, I was fairly clumsy with balisong (butterfly knives) until I tried playing with them on acid and then again on mushrooms. The mushrooms greatly enhanced my skills. Before the trip, I could do some basic opening and closing moves. During the trip, I found I could flip the knives up in the air and catch them either open or closed consistently. Again, to this day this skill remains.

Does anyone have any skills they've practised while on psychedelics? Have you found your skills greatly improved after a trip, above and beyond what improvements you'd expect from a few hours of practice?
I bet that's a big YES for musicians. Anyone have any more esoteric skills they've developed while tripping?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: pazuzu]
    #2924526 - 07/24/04 10:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, well I grew up with a computer so I can do that without the aid of drugs, as far as actually learning a new skill on psychedelics, I haven't been able to do it. I freestyle a lot and have heard of people being able to rap a lot better on psychedelics, but I can't do it at all. Although this one time on prescription amphetamines I rapped for 9 hours straight, no exagerration. I actually woke myself up rapping at one point, kinda weird. My friends I've tripped with who play guitar and stuff were unable to play at all most of the time, and when they could it sounded like shit. It just varies for people I suppose.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2924547 - 07/24/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You are right, I learned three new guitar songs in one night during my second acid trip.

Offlineacoostick
Gonzo

Loc: Tennessee
    #2924638 - 07/24/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

im badass at hacky-sack and we were all trippin hackin in the garage and one of the dudes was always horrible until he did it trippin and ever sense he has had this amazing self-confidence with his hack skills and dramatically got better during and after the trip

--------------------
Shine On,           

Offlinedaft
AccomodatingDesire
Loc: Whitby, Ontario
    #2924761 - 07/25/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've been studying and progressively learning instruments throughout my entire life.

I played in the royal conservatory for 10 years, I practice violin, guitar for 5 and have been taking vocal lessons for 10 years also.

Naturally I love to play listen and visualize music while stoned. Something I found while specifically high on mushrooms is;

Vocally I can sing almost one full octave above my normal limits
On the piano I can create structured music(like memorize a randomly inspired chord combination in one bar) in very VERY odd time signatures.
On the Guitar my scales really come together, arpeggios can be played allegro.

The violin is where I fall apart though. I'm awestruck by the sound, so it's fun to miss with it as well, although technically on this instrument I am incapacitated.

--------------------
We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies--all these are private and, ex- cept through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable. We can pool information about experiences, but never the experiences themselves. From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: daft]
    #2924790 - 07/25/04 12:35 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You're as good as my friend Lee, he goes to Burklee in Boston and took lesson in music ed.

OfflineSeppuko
Sprite

Loc: teh intarweb
    #2925335 - 07/25/04 05:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I can't play guitar worth shit on shrooms (not like I can that well normally :wink:)

--------------------
if I mention anything about the posession or production of illegal mushrooms, I am making it up.

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: Seppuko]
    #2925458 - 07/25/04 07:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have found that freestyling is much easier on mushrooms (not that i freestyle, but have tried). It's odd though because the concrete things you are trying to flow are interrupted by bizarre abstract thoughts. The thought flow is so much quicker though, and things just come together. I have a friend who is pretty good with a butterfly knife, and he happens to take lots of psychedelics :p Not sure if this is relevant or not. Peace

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

Offlinechevron
spiralling

Loc: UK
    #2925540 - 07/25/04 10:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If you're good at anything in real life, you're likely to be even better on shrooms.

If you're crap on the other hand....

--------------------
I am merely a parody.

OfflineMonsieur_Bleh
Stranger
Male
Loc: Ontario
    #2925572 - 07/25/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I decided to climb a tree on a 7 gram trip once and was amazed at how fast and easily I had got to the top, it just came so naturally.

Offlineacoostick
Gonzo

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: Monsieur_Bleh]
    #2925845 - 07/25/04 02:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

the only thing i do good on a dry 7 gram trip is freak people out by the way i act

--------------------
Shine On,           

OfflineYahoKa
Just a guy.

Loc: Canadian
    #2925946 - 07/25/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

AFAIK the memory effect is only for LSD.

--------------------
Hang on tightly ... and let go lightly.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: YahoKa]
    #2926075 - 07/25/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I talked to my friends dog one time, and when I looked in her eyes I ran to my friend, told him to stop neglecting his dog. He needs to play with her more, she's old, but she still needs loving. His dog stuck with me for the rest of the trip and she loves me to bits, before my trip, she would growl at me forever.

I've also learned to speak my mind while I'm on mushrooms. The same friend doesn't have the greatest relationship with his mom, and everyone's been too wary to bring issues up with him. I told him to just talk to his damn mom and work things out, nothing's stopping him. In context, it sounds easy to just 'solve your problems' but I let him know it wasn't going to be easy. But he's got two choices, make his life better or become more miserable. I could never tell him that had I not been on mushrooms.
It doesn't sound like much to just speak my mind, but I can't explain it... I just thought so incredibly deep, all the words that came out of my mind were so fresh. That's the only way I can explain it. I wish I could go to a gathering one day and just piss about with you guys.

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: browndustin]
    #2926975 - 07/25/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah, i forgot to add my first rock climbing experience was on 4g of mushies and it was hard to say the least. I don't know if i was any better off though because my death perception was really messed up, and i thought about dying a lot.

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

OfflineTheDarkSideof_Paco
Seeker

Loc: My basement
Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: LoneDeranger]
    #2927459 - 07/26/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I do extremely well at pool when I play trippin, I think its because I hyperfocus on it for the 15 minutes. I play and then after that Im back to the most random trippin thoughts imaginable

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: LoneDeranger]
    #2927526 - 07/26/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lol thats the wrong stuff to be thinking about when you're scaling up a cliff.

Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
    #2928003 - 07/26/04 08:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

heh, when i first starting shooting guns i couldnt hit shit. Now that i shoot when i trip on acid i hit everything......

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: kitteh]
    #2928065 - 07/26/04 10:23 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think some of you have to realize though. If your confident that the substance will help you than it probably will :shocked:, if your confident it'll screw you over than it probably will too, effects & "strength" differs between substances ofcourse and I dont claim this must always be the case for everyone because ppl are different in their mental approaches, but this is my general understanding.

I found that alot of the good things I do/learn when on a substance which I wasnt able to figure out yet while sober can be done the same sober later on instructional wize, not exactly the same obviously because your not under the influence. If you just take the time to observe how exactly you thought of something and arrived to its conclusions you can try it later on sober. Even with hacky sac for example, if you pay close attention to just how you kicked the sac (maybe you angled your leg more and kicked with less force.. who knows), later on while sober you can try kicking it with the same movement/force ect.

Theres a placebo effect with so many things in life, to the smallest things you could imagine, ie; ppl who smoke cigs thinking they need the cig to relax otherwise obtaining the same level of relaxation in the same amount of time and effort isnt feasible, which simply isnt true.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #2928069 - 07/26/04 10:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My friends and I had always had a huge Super Smash Bros. Melee rivalry on GameCube...the first time I tripped on acid was with those three friends and once we were tripping nice and good, we turned it on and played...I beat them round after round, and the kill count was 9 to 1 to 1 to 1 in my favor..after about five times I put down the controller, announcing that I couldn't play any longer since I was whuppin' so hard...the first time I played sober after that, it was really like I was way more in touch with the game and have been since. Might not be any sort of important skill..but still.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinebrybry
meow
Loc: georgia
Re: Cool skills learned while tripping [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2929942 - 07/26/04 09:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dancing

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience