Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
PBS program on Neurological disorders
    #2920407 - 07/23/04 02:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Did anyone else see this one?  The program that talked about strange disorders/problems resulting from head injuries? 
    For instance, there was a bit about this person who had the main circuit of their optic nerve severed.  However, the older, "reptilian" optic nerve still functioned.  This is the part of the brain that detects movement.  So these people were blind, but they could see movement. 
    Anyway, on it, there was another guy who had seizures.  He would go into religious ecstasy.  The way he described it was EXACTLY like an acid/shrooms trip.  Makes me wonder if this guy was having spontaneous trips.  Kind of cool.  He had the option to try to have it fixed but he has decided not to, as he values the experiences too much. 
    The upshot was I guess the portions of his brain that were being fired during these seizures are probably involved when you take psychedelics.  I don't know much about this field, it's just speculation. 
Any neurological doctors around here? :grin:
    Take it easy people.

GB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: PBS program on Neurological disorders [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2920978 - 07/23/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I saw it. Pretty interesting stuff. Apparently temporal lobe epilepsy is just like tripping. Dostoevsky had it and he described seeing lots of colors and patterns.
The part where they talk about 'blind sight' people is very interesting. I think it applies to alot of people, most of us don't really conciously see what we see.
Also interesting is that they can't find a part of the brain the creates consciousness...
At the time it was alittle too much though because I had had a really bad trip a week prior and didn't want to think about that stuff.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience