Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineforgery
general allround humanbeing
Coffee and Subaeruginosa - Anyone tried it?
    #2919873 - 07/23/04 11:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone tested the effects of coffee on subs? I have just started my first sub experiments on pine bark.

(quick disclaimer - I have limited practical experience with growing shrooms, ok I'll admit it I'm a noob - BUT I have read lots and lots and lots and lots and lots etc. of shroomy stuff, mostly on the Shroomery  :tongue:)

Method:
1. Pasteurise pine bark for an hour or so, then drain off all the water.
2. Put in old 2 or 4 litre ice-cream container.
3. Put some 'myc-chips' from local patch or 'cardboard-myc' into the container with pine bark.
4. Seal container to retain moisture.
5. Sit and contemplate how easy it is to cultivate wood-lovers hahahaha  :cool: (saying something that arrogant is bound to get the attention of the ShroomGods who will no doubt make all my future grows contam  :wink: )

I did one container following the above method, and another one with two tablespoons of organic ground coffee added to the pasteurising stage.

My predictions are that the coffee grow will grow faster, but possibly contam (pine bark on its own doesn't generally contam with the normal moulds, right?) - and the non-coffee one will grow slower but surer.

Has anyone done any similar experiments? Anyone done anything with coffee and subs? Coffee and wood-lovers in general?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coffee and Subaeruginosa - Anyone tried it? [Re: forgery]
    #2922241 - 07/23/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

forgery said:

My predictions are that the coffee grow will grow faster, but possibly contam (pine bark on its own doesn't generally contam with the normal moulds, right?) - and the non-coffee one will grow slower but surer.

That's been my experience, but I've never grown subs. I have grown oysters and shiitake, and the coffee helped both. A local grower in our town makes the rounds of all the Starbucks coffee shops and collects their waste grounds. He grows oysters with excellent results on pure coffee grinds. Enormous flushes. Much better than on straw or wood.

Offlineforgery
general allround humanbeing
Re: Coffee and Subaeruginosa - Anyone tried it? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2922520 - 07/24/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I should have mentioned - I have tried growing sub myc off straight spent coffee grounds - absolutely no growth whatsoever, and if green doesn't take over the grounds then soon enough it starts to break down and it smells like it's fermenting or something - a very pungent, alcoholic, natural rotting kind of odour.

The nutes in the coffee seem to be beneficial for the growth of most shrooms, but does anyone know if subs can digest the grounds themselves? Or if they may be beneficial as a casing?

--------------------
peace,
forgery
:hippie:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology