Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYahoKa
Just a guy.

Loc: Canadian
Mycelium not growin (too much heat?)
    #2918956 - 07/23/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, these 6 jars got spores injected 2 weeks ago, and only 2 of the jars are showing mycelium... the other jars show nothing at all. So far, they look uncontaminated, but it is hard to tell since the mixture they are growing in isn't a uniform color. What i think may have been the problem is that the spores were injected while the jars were still warm (not too hot) from sterilization, could this have killed the spores in some of the jars?

Also, because it is sort of tough to see (visually) if there is contamination, is there anything else to test if there is (smell them, just keep lettin it grow and see?) Oh and if a jar were contaminated, would the mushrooms just not grow, or could they grow and then have poisonous bacteria on them?

--------------------
Hang on tightly ... and let go lightly.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineevilchipmunk
All your nutsare belong tome.

Re: Mycelium not growin (too much heat?) [Re: YahoKa]
    #2918968 - 07/23/04 02:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Don't smell them. Sniffing a pure culture of mold can be very bad for your health.

--------------------
George Dubya Bush's Resume.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2918991 - 07/23/04 02:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You can usually see contamination and smell it clearly. I don't think your contammed, but you may need some more spores.

If they were still warm, you may have fucked yourself over, otherwise your syringe was shitty. How dark with spores was it?

Invisiblephobey
watcher

Loc: home
    #2919080 - 07/23/04 03:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It could also be a contamination that isn?t visible yet.

If the myc grows very thick and slow you got a contam alright. Sometimes it can take a while for spores to sporulate give the other jars some time.

You can take a little smell by scooping some air into your nose with your hands. If its sour toss em and start over.

I think the temp that is said to kill spores is greatly exegerated.

OfflineYahoKa
Just a guy.

Loc: Canadian
    #2919629 - 07/23/04 09:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well there is no smell that I noticed after handling these jars a couple of times. It seems unlikely that a contamination wouldn't show after 2 weeks, but what do i know ...

Anyways, the spore syring looked like water with a bit of "cloudiness" from little particles (spores, i guess :smile:. And my other question that wasn't answered: If a jar were contaminated, would the mushrooms just not grow, or could they grow and then have poisonous bacteria on them?

--------------------
Hang on tightly ... and let go lightly.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2919851 - 07/23/04 11:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Spores suffer thermal death at 120F. If you have reason to beleive that your jars may have been near or around that temperature range (which is really just "Warm" to the touch and not generally "hot") then there is a solid chance your material was damaged when injected into the hot jars.

The fact that you have some germination suggests that the problem wasn't with your syringe, but with some other vector. You may need to inject additional material into the non-showing jars to get them started. If the jars are contaminated then you will visibly see the mold or bacteria forming, or smell it if it is an invisible contamination. Jars that smell strongly of ammonia are infected with "wet spot" bacteria.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation