Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
how successful are you with germinating homemade spores?
    #2918115 - 07/23/04 12:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How many times do you make a syringe that ends up making a ton of bad jars? its pretty much all or nothing isnt it? you either get 12 good jars or 12 bad moldy ones, give or take a couple for sure....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: how successful are you with germinating homemade spores? [Re: sublimesubmind]
    #2918257 - 07/23/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It depends on how ill you are. When prepping a syringe, everything must be sterile (as you obviously know). Try this, heat up your oven a little and open it up, then pull out a tray. Do your work on this tray while the heat raises all the little nasty contam particals up away from your stuff. Maybe this will help. When Making prints, soak the paper in alchohol and dry before printing spores.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: how successful are you with germinating homemade spores? [Re: sublimesubmind]
    #2919665 - 07/23/04 10:05 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

To put blame, you really should know that it is the spores, and not ineffective sterilization. It can often be the 'homemade spores', but it sucks to waste energy on the wrong problem.
I like the idea of soaking what you're going to print on in alcohol before printing [and allowing to dry beforehand, of course]. Aluminum foil is a good printing medium.
You can also help things by printing in a clean environment. Inside of a glovebox isn't a bad idea. At the very least, slightly covered. . .you want some air exchange, as an airtight mushroom cap can start to contaminate fairly quickly.
Good luck!

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: how successful are you with germinating homemade spores? [Re: Suntzu]
    #2920777 - 07/23/04 04:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm unclear about contams when getting the cap for the spore print. How do you watch that contams aren't on the shroom cap? I mean, do you just take the fruit out of the chamber, take the casing box to your glovebox, snip, put into your jar on top of the foil?
It just seems, mind you I have no experience with this yet, that making prints that were sterile would be very difficult. Please tell me I'm wrong?
Thanks!

GB

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: how successful are you with germinating homemade spores? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2921660 - 07/23/04 08:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Making clean prints really isn't that hard. . .I am just thinking back to the times when I had sealed a cap in a 'more or less' airtight container and left it longer than overnight; as with any other moist organic material, it can begin to mold rather quickly. Many people do it something like this: pluck the fruit, cut the cap, lay the cap on clean foil, and set a cover over the foil/cap. After 24 hours or so, remove the cover and fold up the foil. The cap can be handled with clean hands, though it's better to use tweezers or something. As you can imagine, this isn't truly 'sterile', but should work if the printing is done in a fairly clean environment.
There are some really cool teks here for printing. One I really like involves suspending the cap from the underside of a jar lid of a jar of sterilized water; the spores drop into the water, you remove the lid/cap, and replace with a clean lid. There are others, but the key is to be clean [as with every other step of cultivation]. I didn't mean to overstate the risk of caps getting contaminated. ..with a 24 hour printing period it usually isn't a problem.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: how successful are you with germinating homemade spores? [Re: Suntzu]
    #2922374 - 07/24/04 12:46 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, thanks very much.  I guess I was more concerned with contams somehow latching onto the cap or whatever.  Contams picked up in the transit from the fruiting chamber to your glovebox or glass jar where the spores drop off the cap.  But, I feel a little better now.  Thanks!

GB :grin:

Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
Re: how successful are you with germinating homemade spores? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2923581 - 07/24/04 02:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well, i did 12 jars of brf that were ALL contaminated. I figured it was my 'bad' print i made, but then again the top layer of vermiculite must have been moist becacuse all had green and cobwebmold growing out of the freakin holes on the top!

I also think the brf was mixed too wet, as the mycelium didnt grow as well as it did the first time. oh well, ill get this stuff down someday

in the meantime, i have one, yes ONE shroom left growing! im must get this one right! i need a clean print from it or else i need to buy again:(

I also have 12 pint jars of wbs going, but they havent germinated yet and its too early to tell if the syringe was made poorly. Im honestly going to figure that it was because i didnt use a glovebox, and the cap was left for 3 days to drop spores, by which time the cap became greasy looking and wilted. Not sure if it was moldy, but it didnt look good. It might have been just the fact it couldnt dry out though so it just withered, at least im hopin!

Well, i finally was able to get the right WBS, (USE HERTZ BRAND PARAKEET SEED!) i finally have 12 jars of grain that arent a stinky mush bucket (USE A PRESSURE COOKER!) and im waiting for signs of germination. so far no contams buts its only been 3 days so.....

Edited by sublimesubmind (07/24/04 02:33 PM)

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #2926906 - 07/25/04 08:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

just buy some pre made syringes. I got 3 10ml for $15 from a vendor here and it came in 2-3 days.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2927834 - 07/26/04 04:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sublimesubmind said:
How many times do you make a syringe that ends up making a ton of bad jars? its pretty much all or nothing isnt it? you either get 12 good jars or 12 bad moldy ones, give or take a couple for sure....

From multi-spore germinations I have only had 2 bad batches of jars due to contaminated spores/prints (about half got the green, both batches were from the same print). Now, it was not made by me either so from my own prints I have had 100% success using homemade spore prints (although I have had some not germinate at all, but never contaminate)... Cultures from wild clones I have not had the same success with though, unfortunatly. This is to be expected as mother nature is not a sterile lab...

Your technique is the source of 99.9% of all contamination...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum