Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineddog
journeyman
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP!
    #291732 - 04/12/01 04:31 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I'll try it, but I'm still worried that the angle won't be drastic enough to level off the water droplets to one side. I can't tip it too much without causing the cakes to tip over.

I also forgot to mention that I do have a heating pad under the container keeping the temp about 70-75.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: ddog]
    #291747 - 04/12/01 04:42 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Well, the heating pad is definately what is causing the droplets, but the heat pad is also a good thing because is creates the wamth and makes the perlite steam. So you want to keep it. I would try the 'rainX' trick, I honestly beleive this stuff will work. It will put a waterproof coat of wax, which 'should' in theory repel the water. If anything you will get 'little' droplets, but it should improve it alot. (havent tried it myself, but am going to, I know it works great on windsheilds).

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: Anonymous]
    #291767 - 04/12/01 05:14 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Put the heating pad on top.

Offlinew3rmf3wd
journeyman
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: puscle]
    #291788 - 04/12/01 05:55 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

You could just toss in a drip shield. the MMGG and PF guide both have terrarium plans with this feature.

Offlineddog
journeyman
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: puscle]
    #291792 - 04/12/01 05:58 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, I know the heating pad is causing the droplets but, as pavlov said, it's cold and I need the warmth.

Putting the pad on the top sounds like a good idea. But I'm not sure it will heat the terrarium as well nor produce the warm humidity as much as from the bottom.

What I've been doing before posting was keeping an indentical lid handy from another container. I crack the 1st lid and swiftly insert the new dry one then discard all the water from the 1st. Then repeat when it's time to fan. It's kind of a crazy process and I still risk getting water on the cakes, but so far I can't seem to find a better way.

OfflineMr. Toad
    #291827 - 04/12/01 06:41 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

w3rmf3wd is right. throw in a drip shield. Its the easiest way to solve your problem.

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: Mr. Toad]
    #291995 - 04/12/01 10:55 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I was getting ready to say that.I use a drip shield and never get water droplets on the cakes.

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

Anonymous

Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: w3rmf3wd]
    #292036 - 04/13/01 12:29 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I've found that 'drip sheilds' are not just easily 'tossed in' , in fact, they are a pain in the ass to install without sacrificing 25% of your terrarium real estate.

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #292072 - 04/13/01 01:26 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

put try towels on top...maybe you can cling them on to something so its like a roof, it works for me with cubies

B Leu B oxo

--------------------
" Insanity is just a thread of reality...the make-as-you-go part of living, the bare second reflex of dying _Stavros Christou... by_"

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #292243 - 04/13/01 11:25 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

yes that is true pavlov, it does take up space, but if you got cakes that are not fruiting move them to the front of dripshield, fruiting ones in the back, then when they start to fruit move those in the back the fruiting ones that where in thhe back will be on a secound are 3rd flush whatever, move these now up front. this is why I always incoluate 5 jars at a time a week apart, this solves the problem of running out of room with the drip shield it always gives ya time to move the cakes around so the ones that are starting to pins sit up front and visa versa.

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

Offlineddog
journeyman
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: Bleuboxo]
    #292421 - 04/13/01 03:35 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks everyone, I'm going to implement the dry towel idea. I was thinking of trying that and the post by beuboxo pretty much convinced me. Just got home and noticed that big shroom is really going, and more little ones have started sprouting. From what I've read about B+, theres usually one big one per cake that's ahead of the others, and then other small ones start growing. That's exactly what I'm seeing, in spite of the soggy situation.

Yes!

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
    #292423 - 04/13/01 03:38 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

one more thing i forgot to add, B+ loves humidity...LOVES!!! if you have pinheads remember to increase humidity.

B Leu B oxo

--------------------
" Insanity is just a thread of reality...the make-as-you-go part of living, the bare second reflex of dying _Stavros Christou... by_"

Offlineddog
journeyman
    #292448 - 04/13/01 04:19 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

it seems you're right. I've been daubing water droplet off the cakes with a tissue, but the shrooms don't seem to mind the moisture anyway.

Offlineddog
journeyman
    #292449 - 04/13/01 04:20 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

it seems you're right. I've been daubing water droplets off the cakes with a tissue, but the shrooms don't seem to mind the moisture anyway.

the cakes might have been a little on the dry side. perhaps the extra moisture helped as if they were dunked?

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
    #292455 - 04/13/01 04:28 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

yes, lots of moisture is good, but droplets are bad because it kills the mycelia. vaporized water is best.

B Leu B oxo

--------------------

Offlineddog
journeyman
    #292482 - 04/13/01 05:00 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

do you recommend misting directly? There seems to be *plenty* of humidity from the perlite alone but I suppose more can't hurt if misting won't harm the cakes.

Also, how often would you fan? The shrooms *seem* to take off better if I only fan the terrarium every few days instead of everyday because the humidity stays trapped.

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
    #292536 - 04/13/01 06:17 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

ive had many pins abort because of direct misting, some didnt but i cannot tell you no all i can offer to tell you is that my pins aborted because the water is bad alltogether for mycelium. misting on the walls should be perfect since you already have humidification it would be better if you did that. if you have alot of cakes maybe you can try misting one and see what happens. thats just how i am because i love experimenting with everything. fan every other day if fanning everyday is releasing humidity. i wouldnt be too worried about it im sure the humidity will stay fine once you mist though. every other day is best though because it gives the terranium a 48 cycle for gas exchange which is also important. you should be okay on that. good luck with everything! if you are going to take pics remember to post them up here! im eager too see your results! peace and good luck!

B Leu B oxo

--------------------

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
    #292538 - 04/13/01 06:19 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

p.s. read the post about milk dunking, i never knew about this one!

B Leu B oxo

--------------------

Offlineddog
journeyman
    #292543 - 04/13/01 06:23 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

thanks man, will do.

Offlineddog
journeyman
    #293710 - 04/15/01 03:40 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

hey there. well things are coming along very nicely. To solve the water droplet problem, I lined paper towels along the roof of the lid and used tape to secure them. The paper towels seem to be absorbing the water and any extra humidity is just pushed off and falls down the sides of the terrarium, which is actually great cause I'm getting crazy humidity now! The other cakes are really taking off (no more droplets) and I just harvested that first big one. What a monster - about 9" and the veil just broke today before harvesting.

Thanks again everyone - I would post if I could find my stupid digital camera, and I must admit slight paranaoia, but anyhow.......

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #294030 - 04/15/01 11:30 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Hi... i know you solved yer problem already- but another way to stop the droplets is to coat the top of your terrarium with vaseline. Apaprently works... there's a *tek* on it here somewhere (I can't remember who came up with the idea in the 1st place; not me though.) Congrats! :)

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

OfflineJesus-Christ
Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: oscill8]
    #294096 - 04/16/01 12:50 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Vaseline does not work.

OfflineBleuboxo
enthusiast
    #294097 - 04/16/01 12:51 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

im glad to hear its going good! for easier towel method just use one big towel though. sometimes small towels get to wet and maybe the tape can soak and slip and boom towels fall on cakes or casings!!! personal experience just needed to add that.

B Leu B oxo

--------------------

Offlineddog
journeyman
    #294442 - 04/16/01 03:06 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

thanks, no problems so far but I've been swapping out the wet towels when fanning so next time I'll only use one. Hurray for Bounty (God I'm such a dork)

and yes Vaseline is completely useless for this purpose, see my original post. Luckily I got rid if it in time and went ahead with the paper towels. *All* cakes are now fruiting and even casings from uncolonized cakes are starting to look good

OfflineTenchi23
Stranger
    #25283329 - 06/21/18 01:12 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Tape a piece of foil, a layer of paper towel, plus a piece of cardboard (in that order) to the outside top of your shot gun box. This will prevent moisture accumulation on the inside of your lid.

The explanation is long,and verbos. It has to to with how condensation functions between two environments of disparate temperatures that have come into contact with one another. In this case, warm shotgun box vs slightly cooler room temp.

For the my fellow geeks, here's a link that gives a more complete explanation:
http://www.insulationstop.com/radiant-barrier-blog/how-to-reduce-condensation-with-reflective-aluminum-foil-insulation/
was this helpful
You may choose many

Votes accepted from (06/21/18 10:11 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Edited by Tenchi23 (06/21/18 01:16 PM)

OfflineNorthernKronic
Stranger

Re: Water Droplet problem w\ perlite. HELP! [Re: Tenchi23]
    #25283337 - 06/21/18 01:18 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tenchi23 said:
Tape a piece of foil, a layer of paper towel, plus a piece of cardboard (in that order) to the outside top of your shot gun box. This will prevent moisture accumulation on the inside of your lid.

The explanation is long,and verbos. It has to to with how condensation functions between two environments of disparate temperatures that have come into contact with one another. In this case, warm shotgun box vs slightly cooler room temp.

For the my fellow geeks, here's a link that gives a more complete explanation:
http://www.insulationstop.com/radiant-barrier-blog/how-to-reduce-condensation-with-reflective-aluminum-foil-insulation/

Remember to check dates before you post in a thread, this one is over 17 years old.....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom