Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Velcro?
    #2914731 - 07/22/04 03:35 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"For thousands of years, man has walked through fields of weeds and arrived home with burrs stuck to his clothing. It?s amazing no one took advantage of the problem until 1948. George de Mestral, a Swiss engineer, returned from a walk one day in 1948 and found some cockleburs clinging to his cloth jacket. When de Mestral loosened them, he examined one under his microscope. The principle was simple. The cocklebur is a maze of thin strands with burrs (or hooks) on the ends that cling to fabrics or animal fur. By the accident of the cockleburs sticking to his jacket, George de Mestral recognized the potential for a practical new fastener. It took eight years to experiment, develop, and perfect the invention, which consists of two strips of nylon fabric. One strip contains thousands of small hooks. The other strip contains small loops. When the two strips are pressed together, they form a strong bond. VELCRO, the name de Mestral gave his product, is the brand most people in the United States know. It is strong, easily separated, lightweight, durable, and washable, comes in a variety of colors, and won?t jam."

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChairman Meow
Concern Pork
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: Towerball

Re: Velcro? [Re: Papaver]
    #2914739 - 07/22/04 03:39 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

at starbucks we're supposed to velcro our name to our safebox when we do register and i'm the only one with a nametag without velcro so now i have to duct tape it to the box and i feel so lonely being the only duct tape user :frown:
thats all i got.

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Velcro? [Re: Chairman Meow]
    #2914746 - 07/22/04 03:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Be proud! Many great empires were held together with duct-tape! :laugh:

"Adhesive tape (specifically masking tape) was invented in the 1920?s by Richard Drew of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing, Co. (3M). Duct tape (the WWII military version) was first created and manufactured in 1942 (approximate date) by the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division. Its closest predecessor was medical tape.

The original use was to keep moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." Also, the tape was made using cotton duck - similar to what was used in their cloth medical tapes. Military personnel quickly discovered that the tape was very versatile and used it to fix their guns, jeeps, aircraft, etc. After the war, the tape was used in the booming housing industry to connect heating and air conditioning duct work together.

Soon, the color was changed from Army green to silver to match the ductwork and people started to refer to duck tape as "Duct Tape." Things changed during the 1970s, when the partners at Manco, Inc. placed rolls of duct tape in shrink wrap, making it easier for retailers to stack the sticky rolls. Different grades and colors of duct tape weren?t far behind. Soon, duct tape became the most versatile tool in the household. "

--------------------

InvisibleChairman Meow
Concern Pork
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: Towerball

Re: Velcro? [Re: Papaver]
    #2914748 - 07/22/04 03:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

now i know why i always want to hug you everytime i see you online, even if i dont know you. i'm not stalking you, honestly.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Community >> The Pub