Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Vectran? [Re: JPZ]
    #2911758 - 07/21/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The film I-Robot scares me. It has all the appearances of yet another hollywood, big-budget, cgi-fest. I'll probably wait until it shows up on video or satellite one of these years.

It's rather interesting that in some ways our concepts of the future are still still somewhat enslaved to the gernsbackian vision of spaceships and humanoid-robots, when in fact, the real changes have come from industrial robots, materials science, computer networks, and biotech, with nanotech and nanobiotec two fields whose shadows are looming menacingly on the horizon.

I think the future is what happens, when your off busy planning a different future. :wink:

I don't know...

The intersection of technology and society does create some interesting potential narratives though...

I can easily envision 40 years from now, teenagers looking for symbolic ways to simultaneously rebel against their parents, and also band together as non-conformists by adopting a similar fashion statement, having allografts of synthetic skin with cephalopod chromataphore-matrices nerve-spliced directly into their cerebral cortex.

This will create the equivalent of a liquid crystal display on their bodies, which they can learn to program via their own thoughts in order to display interesting patterns and moving images on the contours and curves of their bodies. Sort of like personal tattoo-vision? instead of television.

This way, if you want to make the little hula-girl dance on your upper arm, you'll have to flex your mental muscles and not your biceps -- sort of a neat metaphor for our transition from physical space into mental space; from industrial economy to post-industrial economy; from human to post-human.

The advantage would be, of course, that in your thirties, you won't be stuck with whatever silly design seemed like it was hip in your twenties. Thereby neatly circumnavigating the problematic high-school-yearbook-haircut legacy of permanently fixed dermal-branding...

Back on the film issue: I see that they're remaking "The Manchurian Candidate." My god, what compels these people in Hollywood? They just finished a lousy remake of "The Stepford Wives." I mean seriously, these are both films of an era -- in that they somehow encapsulated the zeitgeist and societal-fears of a particular time in history. What makes these people think that they can somehow remake these films now, under completely different societal parameters, and try to retro-fit them to today's audience? Why don't they try writing some new movie scripts? Scripts that deal with issues which will resonate with today's audiences?

Maybe we need to start a new charity in order to raise money to send young screen-writers to Hollywood (talented screen-writers, I mean).

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJPZ
lost in mexico
Loc: Monterrey
Re: Vectran? [Re: Papaver]
    #2914363 - 07/21/04 11:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:
The film I-Robot scares me. It has all the appearances of yet another hollywood, big-budget, cgi-fest. I'll probably wait until it shows up on video or satellite one of these years.   

Sounds like a good call to me.

Quote:

It's rather interesting that in some ways our concepts of the future are still still somewhat enslaved to the gernsbackian vision of spaceships and humanoid-robots, when in fact, the real changes have come from industrial robots, materials science, computer networks, and biotech, with nanotech and nanobiotec two fields whose shadows are looming menacingly on the horizon.

I think the future is what happens, when your off busy planning a different future. :wink: 

I agree.  From what I understand of nanotechnology, (which is basically nothing, :confused: except it's really tiny computers) the future is already here...(however redundant that statement is)

All I know is that they better have hover-boards by 2005.  :grin:

Quote:

I don't know...

The intersection of technology and society does create some interesting potential narratives though...

I can easily envision 40 years from now, teenagers looking for symbolic ways to simultaneously rebel against their parents, and also band together as non-conformists by adopting a similar fashion statement, having allografts of synthetic skin with cephalopod chromataphore-matrices nerve-spliced directly into their cerebral cortex.

This will create the equivalent of a liquid crystal display on their bodies, which they can learn to program via their own thoughts in order to display interesting patterns and moving images on the contours and curves of their bodies. Sort of like personal tattoo-vision? instead of television. 

Nice use of the word "cephalopod".  I had to look it up...It's my word of the day. 

I'd get a tattoo-vision.
:grin:

Quote:

Back on the film issue: I see that they're remaking "The Manchurian Candidate." My god, what compels these people in Hollywood? They just finished a lousy remake of "The Stepford Wives." I mean seriously, these are both films of an era -- in that they somehow encapsulated the zeitgeist and societal-fears of a particular time in history. What makes these people think that they can somehow remake these films now, under completely different societal parameters, and try to retro-fit them to today's audience? Why don't they try writing some new movie scripts? Scripts that deal with issues which will resonate with today's audiences?

Maybe we need to start a new charity in order to raise money to send young screen-writers to Hollywood (talented screen-writers, I mean).

I know.  They see one remake doing well, and then they throw a dart at a stack of old movie posters and say "Thats it! Our next retro/ironic/whatever blockbuster" 

I can understand Dawn of the Dead...they basically just stole the title, and made a completely different movie (I enjoyed it)

But the Manchurian Candidate????  Next up M*A*S*H, I bet. :smirk:

It also gives the original a boost,  and they can make money that way as well.

--------------------
I do declare, I can float in the air.

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be fucked up."

OfflineOMNiKiLLeR
Scorned Watcherof Ages
 User Gallery

Loc: A Construct of my Percept...
    #2914444 - 07/21/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What a post!

Keep the useless facts coming :P

--------------------
"If it wern't for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"~Lewis Black
"Where did you get all these slackers?"~Manager Kmart, Boise ID
"Burp dee durb, durbidy durb dee dumm"~ Southark
I didnt do it!
:dancing: :dancing:  :ass: :whatever: :bow: :penis: :bow: :whatever: :ass::dancing: :dancing:

Please Visit and Support the FSRE!

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Vectran? [Re: OMNiKiLLeR]
    #2914575 - 07/22/04 12:35 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I know... :frown:

None of these "useless facts" will help you fix the broken tape player in your '73 AMC Gremlin, or help you get laid, but alas, the world is not there to serve your needs. It truly is a cold and random universe... :wink:

Here's another useless fact: Velcro? was invented by a Swiss engineer in the twentieth century. He developed the now ubiquitous Velcro? fastening technology, a system of simple loops and hooks, after careful observation of your mom's kinky pubic hair! :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2914592 - 07/22/04 12:39 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I had a girlfriend that had a `73 gremlin...it had a v-8 and hauled ass

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Vectran? [Re: JPZ]
    #2914609 - 07/22/04 12:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JPZ said:
Quote:

Papaver said:
I don't know...

Nice use of the word "cephalopod".  I had to look it up...It's my word of the day. 

I'd get a tattoo-vision.
:grin:

Hehehe...

I've actually been hatching this tatto-vison? idea for a while now, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to envision this...

Many of the Class Cephalopoda (squids and octopuses) have the ability to radically change their color and patterning, for both camouflage and communication, by specialized cells called chromatophores, iridophores, etc. It's truly amazing how they can totally change their appearance, and blend into the background.

Anyways, other research I'd done into the current methodologies and technologies of skin-grafting and skin-farming/culturing, combined with recent advances in genetics, have led me to the natural conclusion that, at some point in the future, it will be entirely possible to grow artificial laboratory skin, based on a modified genomic-coding which would include the various genes responsible for chromatophoric proteins, to produce a tissue culture with embedded matrices of these specialized cells. If properly nerve-spliced into a person, then this tissue could actually display full-color patterns and images based on a person's thoughts. It would be the dermal equivalent of the LCD Screen on a laptop computer.

Neuro-control of this display would of course, require extensive training to master, but young folks have a lot of time and energy, especially when it can be used to flex the muscles of their independence. :wink:

PS: If they remake M*A*S*H, I'll make Barbra Streisand move to France on general principle... :wink:

PPS: Roffles @ Alounacara! :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Papaver (07/22/04 12:47 AM)

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #2914610 - 07/22/04 12:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Do they make Vectran pen0r holsters?

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Vectran? [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2914614 - 07/22/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Not for tiny ones like yours

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineOMNiKiLLeR
Scorned Watcherof Ages
 User Gallery

Loc: A Construct of my Percept...
Re: Vectran? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2914719 - 07/22/04 01:30 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alounacara said:
Not for tiny ones like yours

Aww, its cute.

Is that it!

I was execting more. . .

More useless facts!!!

--------------------
"If it wern't for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"~Lewis Black
"Where did you get all these slackers?"~Manager Kmart, Boise ID
"Burp dee durb, durbidy durb dee dumm"~ Southark
I didnt do it!
:dancing: :dancing:  :ass: :whatever: :bow: :penis: :bow: :whatever: :ass::dancing: :dancing:

Please Visit and Support the FSRE!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale