Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineArchemetis
sleep paralysis
    #2912292 - 07/21/04 02:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

looking for opinions on sleep paralysis...ever expireince it? what do you make of it?

so s/p has been an on goin problem for me for a while now...but as of late the episodes have intensified, often times physically feeling the shadows smack me...grab me...ect. but as of 2 nights ago the same type of expirience was taken out of my s/p state and into my waking reality. after finishing meditating i lay down to think, when i was smacked in the back of the neck by the "shadow" (as i like to call it) ...completely awake...completely concious...unsure of what to think.
my nights have been getting stranger and stranger lately.
also, later that same night as i made the drifting pass from awake to asleep i retured to the familiar "ears ringing...spirit pulsating" state that i associate with astral projection...only this time the ringing and pulsating got so loud and violent as to become quite uncomfortable...the farther in float from my body the more intense it gets, keeping me stuck. i couldnt help but think there was some kind of conection between the 2 expiriences.

i try not to jump to conclutions about anything...as far as im concerned i could interpret these things in a number of ways. so i take it as just one of those strange things i cant explain to myself and forget about it...but similar episodes continue to happen...usually around the same time every night.
so im curious if anyone else has been through the same kinds of things and if so what do they make of the expireince

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: sleep paralysis [Re: Archemetis]
    #2912368 - 07/21/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

At first I was going to tell you that your brain releases chemicals that make you unable to move your physical body while sleeping. These chemicals make your body stay still, inhibitting the motor system while your nerves are going off and dreaming. Basically, if our ancestors didn't have these chemicals, then they would fall out of a tree while dreaming, but I don't think this is your problem.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2913431 - 07/21/04 08:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sleep paralysis is indeed to prevent injury during sleep. In an experiment I read about cats were given a drug that inhibited the chemical that causes this paralysis. The animals ran wild, hissed, and attacked stuff while enacting their dreams. Any experience that occurs while in sleep paralysis could be called a dream.

Invisiblephalloidin

#2913872 - 07/21/04 10:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When I have sleep paralysis, I often get these weird rushing sensations that can be a bit terrifying. Similar to the onset of DMT though without ever breaking through to the DMT realm. I am usually lucid during sleep paralysis, and I believe that there are elevated levels of DMT in the brain during lucid dreams, which might explain these weird sensations. I can usually pull myself out of the rushing sensations, but have a harder time waking myself up completely. I also experience a feeling of free falling, being pulled, and being spun, usually against my own will.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2914267 - 07/22/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I will wake up and cannot move, but have full hallucinations in front of my eyes. Its very scary, feel like im falling into my bed, and when I wake up, I fall upward again. These hallucinations arent anything fun, they are my door opening, people coming inside, weird shit that is deadly frightening. I cannot explain how deadly terrifying the experience is.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #2916216 - 07/22/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's very terrifying. I've experienced it only once, and I'd be happy not to experience it again. I woke up in the middle of the night facing upward, feeling a heavy weight on my chest. I could not move, and the weight on my chest seemed to be the reason why. I began to suspect that there were demons in the room preparing to consume me. I saw their shadowy forms in my peripheral vision. I was trying to scream for help, but I couldn't. Eventually I managed to get out a few yelps. After that, I came to in sweat and panic.

I told my mother about the experience. She, being a nurse, informed me about sleep paralysis.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Anonymous

Re: sleep paralysis [Re: Ped]
    #2916263 - 07/22/04 03:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You're all unlucky to have such negative experiences with SP. I get it once or twice a week and enjoy it as much as a lucid dream. I especially like the occurances when I can see the room around me and the hallucinations are laid over it. Like a free drug trip. :grin:

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: sleep paralysis [Re: ]
    #2916919 - 07/22/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sleep paralysis is especially terrifying when it's a new experience. I have come to enjoy it and I see it as a bedroom variety mystical experience. The terror is still fresh and very powerful at times. My SP experience has led me to have lucid dreams and if, for no other reason than that, I am glad to experience SP.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: sleep paralysis [Re: Viveka]
    #2916937 - 07/22/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I dont know, Ive had it too many times and its never been 'fun' at all, its some of the scariest shit. Of course, it may be my epilepsy because I always snap out of it feeling like I was shaking the entire time. Either way, its not fun for me.

Offlinehuxmush
Wanderer

Loc: Australia
    #2916956 - 07/22/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
You're all unlucky to have such negative experiences with SP. I get it once or twice a week and enjoy it as much as a lucid dream. I especially like the occurances when I can see the room around me and the hallucinations are laid over it. Like a free drug trip. :grin:

I'm actually trying to lucid dream by staying conciously awake whilst falling asleep. I know what other people mean when they talk about feeling pressure on their chest etc. etc. I've Never got to the point where I've been fully 'sleep paralysed', but think I've come close to it... The pressure doesn't freak me out as I've come to expect it, but its still unpleasant. I also find I get all sweaty and uncomfortable and haven't managed to successfully 'wait out' this stage, instead giving up and going to a full sleep (sometimes a couple of hours have passed whilst I was in this uncomfortable 'waiting state').

Do you have to pass through the same sort of experience before the full-on hypnogogic stuff kicks in, or do you transition through (or even skip) this part?

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: sleep paralysis [Re: Redo]
    #2917169 - 07/22/04 08:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Are you epileptic? From what I understand, some cases of SP are linked to epilepsy. I've even heard that all SP produces the same brain waves that are experienced during seizures. There is epilepsy on my dad's side of the family but i've never experienced a seizure that I know of.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2917423 - 07/22/04 09:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They classify me as sub-ictal, they cant catch me in the act of having a seizure, but clearly can see activity for seizures. I usually get noticable seizures from many substances, including prescribed pharms. But I do know ive had them otherwise.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2917873 - 07/22/04 11:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have a condition similar to sleep paralysis but it is called sleep apnea and it is pretty terrifying. It also happens on heavy doses of shrooms so maybe some of you have similar experiences.

Basically when your brain gets to the point near sleep but still awake, it just decides to shut down your involuntary breathing reflex. There is nothing quite like suddenly realizing you havent been breathing for about 5 minutes and you are turning blue about to pass out. It is particularly dangerous because your body is already resting and you can go for long periods of time in this state before you shut down and revert to involuntary brething.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2918187 - 07/23/04 12:14 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Almost everything is linked to epilepsy.

Anonymous

#2918246 - 07/23/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

what you are experiencing is the beginning of an out of body experience. im not going to beat around the bush here, i will tell you straight up what you want to know. when you are in the paralyzed state, which is referred to as "vibrations" you will hear noises, sometimes voices, and even may hear your name said. Anyways, ignore the noise, it is like when switching radio stations, you hear static, the noise is like that static, you will hear it as your mind tunes into the astral plane from the physical plane. KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED. and remain calm and detached, be relaxed. think of how good it would feel to float away, and you will begin to seperate. you will feel yourself float away. you will be able to "see" with your consciousness's awareness, but not have total clarity, everything will still be black yet you can still see, its interesting. so you have to tell yourself you want to see clearly. and your vision will literally fade in when you do this, i used the saying "clarity NOW." its awesome, from there you can do whatever the hell you want to, go wherever the hell you want to, until you get pulled back into your body.

Anonymous

#2918303 - 07/23/04 12:27 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

im not gonna say anymore on this....but if you really want to know about it and what is happening to you, PM me, i would be more than happy to help you develop this ability you have attained.

Anonymous

#2918346 - 07/23/04 12:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

asleep i retured to the familiar "ears ringing...spirit pulsating" state that i associate with astral projection...only this time the ringing and pulsating got so loud and violent as to become quite uncomfortable...the farther in float from my body the more intense it gets, keeping me stuck. i couldnt help but think there was some kind of conection between the 2 expiriences

guess i didnt catch that, :wink:  these are called vibrations.

i remember when they first happened to me, i was terrified and very confused, sometimes annoyed.  when i learned what was really happening to me, i felt an extreme pressure on my head, sometimes chest, it was like i was going to explode, but this will happen AT FIRST, it does go away with experience.

ok, NOW im done.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2918354 - 07/23/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I dont know, I cantrol anything when its happening to me. Its one horrible hallucination that I have no control over ever.

Anonymous

#2918393 - 07/23/04 12:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

keep your eyes closed, and try what i said...dont open your eyes bro, it is not a hallucination..and you have control, always. control is done with THOUGHT alone. moving is not like being in a body like you are used to. it gets easier with practice, i have been at it for almost 2 years now, and i am just now starting to take off.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2918423 - 07/23/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When its (somewhat) voluntary, it can be benefical. I know i often achieve the sensation of SP at the beginning of meditation associated with asana.

Indeed, I think my condition is mental to some degree but when it happens, its involuntary and im sure its not very healthy lol. But like i said, ive gotten it when im on high doses of shrooms or in a deep meditational state and its identical to the symptoms i have when i wake up, suffocating.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology