Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Here's my setup - NEED advice from exp. growers..
    #2912225 - 07/21/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

alright, for those of you who saw my last thread, i basically probably nuked the spores (didn't let jars cool long enough.)

Well, I'm going all out this time. Next pay i'm going to restock on supples and get my ass growing!

Now, what i'm looking for here is criticism...break apart my routine/setup and let me know what is a better option/what i should get, do, etc. I will explain as much as i can..

Equip:

- box of ball canning jars, wide mouth (tapered)
- brown rice flour (online source, around 2-5lbs.)
- vermiculite (have a huge ass box of horticultural grade.)
- 2 rubbermaid tubs to build incubator (will this suffice?)
- aquarium heater/fish tank heater (WHAT BRAND, WHAT WATTAGE? -ebay?)
- spores (TLG website - legit, good?)
- perlite (already have; lay down in aquarium to keep chamber humidified when i induce fruiting)

Procedure:

Clean work area..dust, sweep, air-out room. Spray lysol, etc. Wear surgical gloves (i have)..wash hands with gloves on with antibacterial soap. Wash all equipment down, spray with lysol, rinse with hot water, dry.

Mix substrate based on PF-TEK (fungifun.org tek); load jars with substrate, put dry layer of verm. on top, put on jar lids (with holes already punched/drilled/knifed etc). Cut 2 5x5 pieces of tin foil per jar, one to act as a second lid, the other to cover that (precautions preventing water getting in the jars during sterilization). Place jars in pot with lid on rack, about 1 inch of water in pot, boil, steam for 1.5-2 hours.

Let jars cool overnight, place in refridgerator for an hour the next day, let them return to room temperature. Flame sterilize the needle, wait for needle to cool, inoculate. Flame sterilize after every jar or every other jar to prevent cross-contamination.

Place jars in incubator, wait for 100% colonization, wait for pins, fruit in aquarium, harvest.

That's the run down. Now, i'll try and follow the tek to build an incubator from fungifun.org, is that a good one to follow? any tips while i build this thing?

When i realize more questions, i'll post them. I want to do this GOOD this time, since it will be my 3rd attempt. Please, go in detail as much as you can because those little details are what messed me up the last 2 times..

Thanks again to those who contribute..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRat
Stranger
Re: Here's my setup - NEED advice from exp. growers.. [Re: KMK]
    #2912247 - 07/21/04 12:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

For the heater, I used a 50 watt I got on ebay.  I got one that's titanium (I went through 3 glass before I figured that one out) and has the heat controller on the outside.  It's what plugs into the wall.  I also got one that has a seperate temp monitor.  I stick that inside with my jars and the heater will heat the water until the temp inside is at 83 degrees.  Mine also has numbers on the temp gauge.  I noticed the cheap glass ones didn't have that.

Found it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Here's my setup - NEED advice from exp. growers.. [Re: Rat]
    #2912260 - 07/21/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

would a 50watt or 75watt suffice for a rubbermaid incubator?

rat, is the one you posted about good for my situation?

OfflineRat
Stranger
    #2912304 - 07/21/04 12:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The one I posted is the exact one I use in my setup and it works fine. I have a rubbermaid incubator too. The heaters are made for aquariums which hold much more water than a tub in tub.

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#2912386 - 07/21/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Unless you're doing a 50+ jar PF project, I wouldn't waste my time and space making a huge ass incubator like that. Unless you're using some small rubbermaids. Just get a tall drinking glass, a normal fish heater that you can get for a cheap $6 in the discount area at a pet store, some tin foil, and a styrofoam cooler from the dollar store. Fill the glass with water, hang the heater on the side of the glass and put foil over the top of the glass to keep the water from evaporating out of your glass and condensing in your cooler and that's that. Saves space and you can do it for less than $15.

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

#2912388 - 07/21/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, i'll get that one then (when i get money, that is..)

A few more questions..

- i heard in another thread that air-exchange with the jars is necessary, and the tin foil should be removed from the jars after inoculation..is this true? and for putting a blanket over the rubbermaids to keep it dark - wouldnt this prevent air exchange? do i need to have air flow, and if i do, how do i keep the rubbermaid container dark while keeping an air flow?

edit:

i'm still going to build the rubbermaid container, because if i get 1 successful grow done, i'm going to up the # of jars and do it very often. it won't be too expensive, i'll get 2 of the smallest rubbermaids i can, cheapest (but good quality) heater and it should cost me less than 30 or 40 bucks..i'd rather have something that will last and can be used for multiple jars (50+ as you said) rather than some poormans $16 deal..no offense though..

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#2912394 - 07/21/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

No it's not true. A blanket isn't going to prevent air exchange, don't sweat that. No air flow is needed, they'll do perfect left alone.

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Here's my setup - NEED advice from exp. growers.. [Re: ImOver18]
    #2912403 - 07/21/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ok, that's a load off my chest then..

so, is my setup and procedure good to go then?

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#2912412 - 07/21/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Seems good, but you don't need to put them in the fridge, just let them cool over night. Otherwise seems perfect.

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

#2912416 - 07/21/04 01:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

any advice on the TLG website on spores? are they legit?

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#2912422 - 07/21/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

They're more than legit. Got my first spores from them way back when. Great, great, site. Any sponsor of the shroomery is a sure thing.

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

#2913391 - 07/21/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

alrighty, i'll check back in this same thread once i get some $$ and some things going here..

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
    #2913645 - 07/21/04 07:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Your setup is looking good, i basicly have the exact some think. I dont have a pressure cooker, i just use steamed water in a pot, and it seems to do fine. As for the heater you only need a tiny one. even if you have 2 40gallon rubbermaids, the water you use would probably be 10 gallons at most. Just figure out about how much water your going to put in there, then go to any pet store that sells fish. I would probably go with a submersable... others just hang into the water, and dont work fully submerged. My friend works at the pet store near me, so he got me a good deal with employee discount = ) As for your first jars, i didnt read your other posts, but you probably dont wana throw those jars out for at least a month. If you inoculated the spores more near the center it could take a while to see the mycelium. One last suggestion is try a casing. I would go with the 50/50 tek. Since its your first grow you might want to use 1/2 of your jars for a casing and the other half just grow as cakes, incase your casing goes bad, its not a total flop. Good luck to you!

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Here's my setup - NEED advice from exp. growers.. [Re: Kilgrin]
    #2914160 - 07/21/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

thanks kilgren, i already threw them out. i realized i probably burned them, and with throwing them out i didnt see any growth, no myc., just wet vermiculite covered in brf..

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

#2915548 - 07/22/04 10:41 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

quick question...would buying a 75watt or 50watt heater for the rubbermaid incubator be overkill or would it be ok to use?

OfflineaNewPerception
candy eater
    #2915573 - 07/22/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

theyre both ok. 50 watt cheaper though

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Here's my setup - NEED advice from exp. growers.. [Re: aNewPerception]
    #2915731 - 07/22/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the heater that was mentioned above is 75 watt...their 50 watt is the same price as the 75..

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

#2917638 - 07/22/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

another question.

i ordered 4 spore syringes (more strains, cheaper, etc.)

when storing these, i cannot store in a refridgerator.

would it be safe to put them in a ziplock bag, in a drawer until i need them again?

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#2918330 - 07/22/04 10:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes.

Offlinedoug_E_fresh
the shroomerysrapper

#2919831 - 07/23/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yup, storeing spores in a dark, cool place is best. Also...if you ever need anymore spores or equipment...
Http://www.shroomery.org/vendors

Everyone listed on there and everyone on banner ads on this site are 100% good.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules