Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedanma
Mushroom Aeration
    #2912167 - 07/21/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

First off, using PF tek, medium grade verm and BRF. 1/2 pint widemouth canning jars, using four equidistant injection points. golden teacher spores.

I know its important to keep mushrooms somewhat aerated during incubation. I have read that at some point you are supposed to loosen the lids, to let more air circulate through the cake. I have two questions about this.
1) At what point in incubation is the best time to aerate a little more? Its been 5 days and I have nickel or quarter ssized patched of mycelium growing at 4 different points on the substrates. At what point during the colonization has the growth used up most of the air available in the jar and its appropriate to aerate a little more?
2) Actually, how do i do it? That is, i read you are supposed to loosen the jar lids. But my jars have those two piece lids. If I unscrew the ring it wont make much difference, I dont think, because the lid will still sit flat and snug on the rim.

Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Mushroom Aeration [Re: danma]
    #2912421 - 07/21/04 03:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey danma,welcome to the Shroomery!

First let me say that if you have four points that are germinating and have grown to the size of a nickle in five days you are right on track and have done very well so far.

As for air exchange in the jars it is most important during the final stages of colonization as they reach about 70 -80% colonized.

The myc needs a higher concentration of co2 during the vegetative stage so you dont really need to worry about it at first. The holes in the lid will provide plenty of exchange at this point. When the myc has covered two thirds or better of the substrate in the jar you will often times notice a stall in growth. This is the point where you may need to flip the jars upside down to give them a jump start and get them going for the last bit of the jars to finish. This works due to the fact that co2 is heavier than the normal air mix and will flow out of the holes due to gravity and fresh air will enter the holes to give the myc what it now needs.

If you wish to loosen the jar lids with the two piece setup,just loosen the ring a little bit and turn them upside down and give the bottom a gentle slap with the palm of your hand. The cake will slide down against the lid and pop it off the jar a bit. Just make sure you dont loosen the ring so much that the cake takes the lid off and ends up in the floor soon to be soaked with a river of your tears. Or you could just put a piece of tape across the lid and ring so that they are basically one piece and pop it loose that way.

Good Luck
MYKEY

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation