Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeppuko
Sprite

Loc: teh intarweb
Purchasing questions...
    #2911009 - 07/21/04 02:24 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

[edit]My questions have been answered, but you can post some other opinions on them if you'd like :P[/edit]

I went shopping today to find some things...

At Home Depot I was ASSURED perlite was the same as vermiculite. I bought it with the idea in mind "I'll return it if she is wrong".

I read she was wrong so that's my first clarification...

(1) Is Perlite a functioning alternative to Vermiculite?

At Home Depot, I also purchased a thermometer. It wasn't very expensive, so I figured it might not be perfect...

I got home and set it up in the area where I'd have a setup and the thing sat at 72 degrees. So I thought to myself "That can't be right" so I checked the thermostat upstairs. It was at 70...so it probably was right. So question 2 and 3...

(2) 75-80 is ideal, I'm told, but is 75-80 ideal for the first stages? I've read "ROOM TEMP"..Well that's room temp, but the ideal growing temp is never refered to as room temp. What's going on? :P

(3) Using the Poorman's Pod, Will the high humity add to the temp? If so, will that be enough?

I went out and got some canning jars. 12 4oz tapered jars... I thought they seemed kind of small, so when I got back to my friend's house (who I was with) I checked online for a conversion. 8-10oz = 1/2 pint. "So these must be 1/4 pint", I thought to myself. I returned them.

But when I got home and nabbed a can of Sprite I noted that in This guide's comparison between the jar and a regular can.

(4) Were these the wrong jars? If they were correct, I can easily pick them up again...But where they wrong? :p

Finally, the Brown Rice Flour.

I found it with ease. But never having seen it before, I figured it would be brown. so this one also has 2 questions...

(5) Is Brown Rice Flour WHITE?

(6) Is 1lb of BRF good enough to make 12 jars assuming I use 3 cups of it to make the substrate

Thanks for the help, here are the questions again for easy copying/pasting (if you so wish)

(2) 75-80 is ideal, I'm told, but is 75-80 ideal for the first stages? I've read "ROOM TEMP"..Well that's room temp, but the ideal growing temp is never refered to as room temp. What's going on? :P

(3) Using the Poorman's Pod, Will the high humity add to the temp? If so, will that be enough?

(4) Were these the wrong jars? If they were correct, I can easily pick them up again...But where they wrong? :p

(6) Is 1lb of BRF good enough to make 12 jars assuming I use 3 cups of it to make the substrate

--------------------
if I mention anything about the posession or production of illegal mushrooms, I am making it up.

Edited by Seppuko (07/21/04 02:49 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: Purchasing questions... [Re: Seppuko]
    #2911036 - 07/21/04 02:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

hey! I'll do my best...

probably not for your application as in the PF Tek, if that's what you are going to use - I don't think perlite is airy enough.

Incubation: 84-88 (86 optimal) Fruiting: 10 degrees lower on average

RH shouldn't affect AIR temp. Cakes will love the PMP

if they wil be cakes, then it would be easier to deal with if they were wide mouth jars... if you are casing, then they are cool.

if it says brown rice flour, then you got the right stuff :spliff:

(6) Is 1oz of BRF good enough to make 12 jars assuming I use 3 cups of it to make the substrate

use the PF Tek recipe calculator found in  the FAQ's - works great!

OfflineSeppuko
Sprite

Loc: teh intarweb
Re: Purchasing questions... [Re: daywalker]
    #2911056 - 07/21/04 02:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

daywalker said:
hey! I'll do my best...

probably not for your application as in the PF Tek, if that's what you are going to use - I don't think perlite is airy enough.

Incubation: 84-88 (86 optimal) Fruiting: 10 degrees lower on average

RH shouldn't affect AIR temp. Cakes will love the PMP

if they wil be cakes, then it would be easier to deal with if they were wide mouth jars... if you are casing, then they are cool.

if it says brown rice flour, then you got the right stuff :spliff:

(6) Is 1oz of BRF good enough to make 12 jars assuming I use 3 cups of it to make the substrate

use the PF Tek recipe calculator found in  the FAQ's - works great!

Ey, that friend I refered to...we were JUST watching Blade II before I went home, heh.

(1, 2, 3) A-Ok!

(4) I meant the sizes. I looked up more and found out I was right on the 8oz theory

(5) Woohoo

(6) yeah, I planned to use 2 parts verm, 1 part water, 1 part BFR..but I don't know how many cups in an ounce :smile: I checked convert-me.com and it said 1oz = 1/8 cup, which is very very very wrong sounding. Wait a second. I made a big mistake. It's 1lb not 1oz. Holy crap, I'm retarded! <modifies original post>

thanks for the reply :smile:

--------------------
if I mention anything about the posession or production of illegal mushrooms, I am making it up.

Edited by Seppuko (07/21/04 02:48 AM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Purchasing questions... [Re: Seppuko]
    #2911356 - 07/21/04 07:17 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

No.Perlite evaporates water to create humidty,vermiculite stores water and wicks it back into your substrate.
Perlite=humidity
Vermiculite=stored water for use when needed.
Quote:

At Home Depot I was ASSURED perlite was the same as vermiculite. I bought it with the idea in mind "I'll return it if she is wrong". 

She was WRONG! But,you can still use it for extra humidity in the bottom of your fruiting chamber.
Quote:

Incubate at 86'f
fruit at 70'-76'f(room temp)
Quote:

For fruiting yes,for incubating ,no.
Quote:

Ball 1/2 pint wide mouth tapered jars are what you are looking for.If you got the same ones as in that link,yes they are the correct ones.
Quote:

It has sort of a tan appearance,but,it is more or less white,yes.
Quote:

That should be enough to do 4 dozen jars if my memory serves me correctly.

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineIAmTheWalrus212
LIL WEEZY
Male User Gallery

Loc: ?
Re: Purchasing questions... [Re: doc34]
    #2911399 - 07/21/04 07:51 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The brown rice flour I got looks pretty white, but not stunning white. You got the right thing.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation