Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Rate of Growth -- My mushrooms are slow growing
    #2910322 - 07/20/04 11:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have had the worst luck with my most recent batch. Two containers with overlay, and one with sparse fruit. On the batch that is fruiting my mushrooms seem to be growing slowly. What is the normal rate of growth? They've been growing oh say a 1/2 centimeter a day. What are reasons the growth could be stunted. Could my pH be off?

Oh and by the way, my gf thought of a way to put water in areas hard to reach when pinning begins. Fill one of your spore syringes with distilled water and inject as needed. Has anyone else tried this?
And a 2nd tip, related to my first overlay experience. Use a big and clear straw to take a "core sample" you can get a visual of how moist the layers are. This is how I determined that I in fact had overlay.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: Rate of Growth -- My mushrooms are slow growing [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #2910988 - 07/21/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

In my exp., if they are gonna reach their full potential, they do it relatively fast (read as 3-6 days pin to mature fruit). Sometimes they just don't want to grow.

The syringe w/ distilled h20 is a good idea. I have done the same to try to rehydrate flushed out casings. Don't over do the 'core samples'... maybe the overlay is due to over incubation or high temps in the fruiting chamber?

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Rate of Growth -- My mushrooms are slow growing [Re: daywalker]
    #2911893 - 07/21/04 12:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yep in fact the overlay was due to just that I think, combined with too much time in incubation. I had left for a few days, and when I got back they were overgrown.

On a side not, the pins have really picked up growth speed, and I'm not really scared they are going to abort anymore. They are all about an inch tall, and I'd say will mature within another 4 days. If this increased growth rate continues, maybe just a couple. What's strange is that from the time I woke up this morning to now (about noon) they have grown as much as they did all of the past 2 days. Strange ay.
All in all, I'd say this bad batch has taught me a lot. If you never get overlay you can't be sure how to avoid it, that's what happened to me. Sure I read about it a lot, but in former batches nevr had a prob. The high temps and too long incubation I think are major culprits, but I think my casing might have been too dense also. It was perlite and peat. I mixed an entire bag of vermiculite with the old casing to lighten it up. I like this new mixture a lot, but only time will tell.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation