Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
Does anyone know how to cultivate Litchi chinensis ?
    #2909989 - 07/20/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was not sure wether to put this here or in culinary art, please move it if this is wrong forum.

I want to grow this fruit and I have seeds to start with (if, of course, it is possible at all to cultivate this plant from seeds. But I don`t have any info on cutlivation so I was hoping someone here maybe grow it or have some helpful advices on growing this kind of plants.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Does anyone know how to cultivate Litchi chinensis ? [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #2910071 - 07/20/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I don't grow Lychee, and haven't really seen any dried harvested seed as i hate the taste of lychee and won't eat it. But from what i understand the different cultivars of lychee have very different growing conditions associated with them, so it might depend on the cultivar you've obtained. You should have like 4 years of growing from seed until you get a fruit.

Most fruit trees are budded onto a root stock because the root systems of fruit trees aren't good enough to support fruit production that we've come to know and love.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/lychee.html
here is a site i pulled off a University of Florida botanical site. It helps.

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: Does anyone know how to cultivate Litchi chinensis ? [Re: neuro]
    #2911564 - 07/21/04 10:14 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you neuro. That link was most helphul

But what do you mean with root stock, do you have any webpages where I can see pictures and examples of this?

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Does anyone know how to cultivate Litchi chinensis ? [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #2912837 - 07/21/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

root stock like when we talk about grafting cactus we also say root stock perhaps you're more familiar with it in that context.

Most fruit trees are grown on a root stock, that is the seeds are planted and then a dormant bud is taken off the plant and budded (it's really just a kind of graft), onto another tree near the base/ground that has a strong healthy root system by it's nature. Root stocks are generally chosen for dwarfing, tall growth, bushy, and whatever else they want, there's quite a variety of stocks available from suppliers depending on what you're going for. If you've ever visited any fruit farms you'll see that practically all of their plants are grown on root stocks that are not true to seed of part of the plant that's above the ground.

The reason they do this is because the root stocks are better able to support the tree and it's fruit production than the tree's own roots if it were to not be budded. Usually this is done for larger and more fruits in commercial production.

However i think nearly the same satisfactory end can be achieved by removing many of the flowers on the tree when it does flower, say remove about 1/4 of them and see how it does one year, then maybe the next year remove 1/2 of them and see the fruit quality.

I think also most commercially available fruit trees for home plantings are budded onto root stocks, i was in a neighborhood today where a house had a few pear trees that were obviously bought from a nursery and it had the characteristic look near the bottom of the tree where it was budded.

Hope that helps.

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: Does anyone know how to cultivate Litchi chinensis ? [Re: neuro]
    #2915528 - 07/22/04 12:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

excellent answer :smile: thank you very much, i understand the concept :smile:

i give you 5 shrooms for informative good answers (not just this one)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden