Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2912780 - 07/21/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
If this is our future, we're fucked. :shake:

We are fucked.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2912782 - 07/21/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

but for someone to be fired over something so inane and trivial is just stupid.

I mean, she dedicated a song to a fellow artist and praised one work of his in particular. I didn't even see it as a political statement, more like an artistic homage.

the decision to terminate her employment for this reason was sensationalist and irrational, and I predict it will ultimately result in more problems than it solved for the business. Now, if they had fired her for some other reason, ie: she sucks, then I would have had no problem with that

Wow...did you not even bother reading the thread? It has been established that she WAS NOT FIRED BECAUSE OF THE VIEWS SHE ESPOUSED, she was fired because she made a significant portion of the people who came to see her perform UNHAPPY.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2912788 - 07/21/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

He doesn't need to read, he's smart.

If you don't believe me, just ask him.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2912803 - 07/21/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

not only will he tell you but he'll remind you about 40 times. Still not convinced.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: Swami]
    #2912856 - 07/21/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe theyll boo Whoopi off next.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2912916 - 07/21/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I'll try to avoid saying how smart or unsmart you are (you've said it about a hundred times)but you haven't a clue about what happens in the business world. Your generalizations are off and based on your extremely short work experience.

let me say this once more:  I think everyone in this forum (with a few exceptions) is very intelligent; otherwise, I would not be here.  The day I lose respect for the minds in this community is the day I cease to post here. 

given the sheer number and variance of the jobs I've had over the years, I would doubt the accuracy of your assesment of my analysis.  I'm a job hopper, and a jack of all trades.  Not to mention I read a lot, study a lot, and have a lot of friends of whom I ask a lot of questions. 

Quote:

yet you still don't adapt. Humans and other higher life forms exist because they adapt. It seems as though you're unwilling to adapt and as a little dose of reality for you, if you don't adapt in the business world, you don't exist.

I find it highly interesting how this statement directly conflicts with your otherwise very Mercurian, western view of man's relationship to reality.  Seriously, read that statement again ^  Are you a buddhist, dude?  Is life just a movie to be passively percieved?  Arent you basically just telling me to "go with the flow, man"?  Where's the old inny?  The rigid moralist, always taking stands on everything?  If the government tried to impose taxes and regulations you wouldn't 'go with the flow', but if a private business tried to do violate your rights in the same way, you would just 'adapt to it'? 

Quote:

no you don't. You've said it yourself of the biggotry, cronyism, and other bad traights businesses have as the reason you haven't got anywhere. 

who said i hadnt gotten anywhere?  All I'm saying is that everywhere I have gotten had everything to do with my own merit and little to do with employers offering regular positions.  Regular jobs have always been an anchor around my neck, and they don't tend to agree with my psychological disposition.  My skills are more valuable in the world of independant contracting.

Its just sad because it doesnt have to be that way.  Its also sad because these huge corporations are ripping people off on consumer goods and services which can be made and performed better and cheaper by small independant businessmen.  If people were smart, they would buy internet access from the local guy that is always cheaper and more reliable.  But people are dumb.  They buy AOL.  And AOL hires, overpromotes, and overpays idiots who drive around drunk on the expressway saturday night in their brand new beamers (they tend to hire the same bad consumers that buy their own product.  keep the money in the hands of idiots.  this is their perrogative)  Its just sad, thats all. 

Quote:

yeah but I don't give up like you, I adapt. I say "that sucks" then I think of ways and things I can do to avoid getting myself into that position again. I use my brain.

adaptation doesnt necessarily mean putting up with unjust bullshit.  Adapatation could be quitting your job when your boss asks you to work overtime off the clock, walking down the street, and getting a new job the same day. 

You like to use your brain too, eh?  What if it were crippled by coporate policy?  What would you do then other than grin and bear it or quit and find a new means of income? 

Quote:

how would you know? Was your last job responsibility screening candidates for hire?

I have done that before.  I have a enough experience on either side of the job interview table to be comfortable in either situation, lets put it that way. 

Quote:

You claim to have all this vast knowledge with absolutly no background in it. Even someone as smart as you would know that that's rediculous.

wtf?  social psych was my primary area of study until I started my study of nueroscience last year.  What, may I ask, are your degrees in?  (think you told me a long time ago you had a bachelors and a masters, the latter of which I must admit I have not achieved yet)

Quote:

I'm sorry but there are rules in this game, if you don't want to play by them do something in life where you don't need to follow others

As I have done.  I simply see it as sad and unecessary that in order to work with a large organization, I would have to cripple myself in order to get along with others.  Constructive, applicable rules are one thing; arbitrary and ineffective rules are quite another. 

Quote:

Possibly, what do you base this on?

my study of social psychology.  It really is fascinating stuff.  You should look into it sometime.  The people who write the campaign speeches you hear and the television commercials you see certainly know all about it, and you should too.  Psychic self-defense and well being, brother :smile:

Quote:

HA, no my wife is quite happy with where I am professionally and fiscally (I have no kids). I'm not comfortable with you talking about my balls.

oops, sorry about that.  I confused you with another member who does have children.  my sincerest apologies. 

Quote:

I was referring to a professional environment. 

'professional environment' is something I have yet to see, even in work environments which have advertised themselves as such, and made great pains to appear as such. 

Quote:

I was leaving education out since you have none.

ahem, once again you are wrong.  I have completed all required hours for my psych degree and am currently persuing my masters.  I've told you this before.  Memory gettin a little spotty there old timer? 

Quote:

and you say you're not full of yourself? I'd suggest removing the word "Doctor" from your user name.

I bet you hate my title too, right?  The reason I take control is because if I didnt in most situations, things would go horribly wrong.  Is it being 'full of myself' to want to help people and advise them from making stupid decisions?  When my mother wants to give half of her retirement money away to some televangelist and I tell her its the stupidest idea I've ever fucking heard am I being 'full of myself'?????  Maybe you're right, maybe I should just shut the fuck up for awhile and let everyone fuck their lives up.  Its not my life right?  Why should I give a fuck?  Its less competition for me right?  I should be glad that people are so stupid.  Boy, how could I have been such a jerk, trying to offer my help to people instead of just laughing at them and taking advantage of their problems. 

Quote:

I'll take that bet. I have a job and can keep it, can you? 

Yeah, I can do it.  But I'm smart enough to have no desire to.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2912939 - 07/21/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ancalagon said:
Quote:

but for someone to be fired over something so inane and trivial is just stupid.

I mean, she dedicated a song to a fellow artist and praised one work of his in particular. I didn't even see it as a political statement, more like an artistic homage.

the decision to terminate her employment for this reason was sensationalist and irrational, and I predict it will ultimately result in more problems than it solved for the business. Now, if they had fired her for some other reason, ie: she sucks, then I would have had no problem with that

Wow...did you not even bother reading the thread? It has been established that she WAS NOT FIRED BECAUSE OF THE VIEWS SHE ESPOUSED, she was fired because she made a significant portion of the people who came to see her perform UNHAPPY.

poor show. thats a matter of opinion and hasn't been factually established at all. You're really reaching here. You can't just put a spin on something and call it the truth.

You think that the quarter of the audience that left had nothing to do with the minority of rabble rousers that started a fracas over this nonsense?

Are you saying that If I had a concert, expressed a controversial opinion, and a small group of druken hoodlums started tearing the venue up and people started leaving, that the people who left would be my fault and not the fault of those hoodlums who behaved inappropriately for no reason?

How do you know that the crowd didnt leave because of the rabble-rousers and not because of ronstadt's oratory?

whatever, I'm not even going to argue this when its clear you've made up your mind based on scant evidence.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2912960 - 07/21/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Fuck you, I can't stand it anymore. Ban me if you must but the good doctor sounds like one of the biggest self-impressed assholes I have ever had the displeasure to come in contact with. 23 and has the world all figured out. And social psychology his main study. If ever there was a wanker degree it's that. I have a psych degree and I thought that was a wank but sociology was worse. He has combined two wanks in one degree. And figured out the world at 23. We must all go in mourning because he has decided to withold his immense talents. Ah well, hopefully my children won't suffer too much. WHAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2912970 - 07/21/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

for someone who has a psych degree, i find it odd that your understanding of social psych is so rudimentary.  It has nothing to do with sociology, dumbass.  Sociology is the study of groups of people, social psych is the study of individuals in social situations. 

where did you get your degree, out of a cracker jack box? :lol:  Thanks for illustrating my point that a degree obtained 20 years ago should not hold the same weight as a degree obtained 2 years ago. 

degrees are as hard as you make them.  I dont take blow off classes.  For every theoretical psych class I've taken, I've taken three classes based in hard science.  Organic Chemistry.  Nuerophysiology.  The Principles of Synaptic Transmission.  Stuff like that.  mmmkay?  night night, grandpa.

edit: funny you have such a low opinion of social psych, because George W Bush doesnt share your feelings.  At least two high ranking members of his campaign have PhD's in social psych.  They know its power, and so should you, if you hope to defend yourself against it.

Edited by DoctorJ (07/21/04 05:42 PM)

Offlinecoralrives
Adventurer

Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2913572 - 07/21/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
He doesn't need to read, he's smart.

If you don't believe me, just ask him.

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Be good and you will be lonesome."
Mark Twain

Grow Log

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2913676 - 07/21/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Similar stuff for me too. Physio psych, hemispheric specialization, psycholinguistics. Plus chem and calc., Comparative primate anatomy, ethics, lit., chess, oceanography. Soc. and poli sci. Been there done that. I have a low opinion of soc psych because I know it isn't science. I am gaining a low opinion of you because you are acting like a blowhard

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Linda Ronstadt booted from Aladdin [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2913721 - 07/21/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This thread is so far off topic there is no longer hope for recovery.

Locked.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder