Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hemp, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedanma
Fine vermiculite formula
    #2907776 - 07/20/04 10:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm on my first PF and I just found out I used fine vermiculite instead of the coarse stuff. (The label on the bag didn't give a grade, and the stuff isn't quite 'powdery' as I was warned, but more robust than that.) But anyway, I have half of the jars I was going to do set up already, and they seem to be moving slow. I used a 50% verm 50%BRF and 50%h2o mix in them, pc'ed, etc. Been incubating 4 days and nothing showing.
My question is, before I finish the rest, is there any difference in formula that I should use, compared to what I used before? And does anyone experience variation in growth times or other things that I should expect, or does anyone have any special techniques? Just so you know the verm was hard as sheet to find around me, but if the fine grade just doesnt work well with PF i might as well not waste my time.
I know the importance of patience and that 4 days isnt really a long time for no growth, but I realize I deviated a bit from the norm, and if more knowledgeable people know that I clearly messed up and nothing is going to happen then I would like to know so I can just start over. Thanks in advance guys (or girls.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: danma]
    #2907788 - 07/20/04 10:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Why are you messing with the formula? If you could add twice as much food and get better results, that's what the PF formula would call for. Believe me, it's been tried by so many people and it always boils down to "follow the tek". If you want to boost yeilds and cut time, try grains because the PF tek is what it is so I'd just stick with the formula.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: danma]
    #2907925 - 07/20/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

When I did PF tek way back in the day I made the same mistake of using fine grade vermiculite.. they say use coarse for a reason.. the fine grade stuff will make the substrate much too compact and there is no room for the mycelium to breath. Thus... very, very slow growth. All my 24 jars were overtaken by bacteria before the mycelium could grow. Lesson learned.

Use the coarse vermiculite. If you can't find it in your area, order some online.

--------------------

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: Shroomism]
    #2907950 - 07/20/04 11:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

fine vermiculite is ok just as long as you don't pack the jars as much as you usually would,IMHO.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Invisible1_fr0ghair
Stranger

Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: mycopsycho]
    #2910372 - 07/20/04 11:30 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yes sir the fine verm works just fine, and as far as dickin with the recipe well, i put some karo (one teaspoon for a 6 jar batch) in my water on my second batch an trust me i won't ever forget to do that again. wow the ones with karo in them really blasted outta the gate.

hell maybe i just got lucky but it sure worked for me.

i'll shut up now.

peace

fr0g :frog:

Offlinerave_propaganda
this guy
Loc: eastcoast
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: 1_fr0ghair]
    #2910439 - 07/20/04 11:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

that karo doesnt sound like to bad an idea to me. might have to try that sometime, but what do i know.

--------------------
reality is a crutch for those who can't handle drugs

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: rave_propaganda]
    #2910923 - 07/21/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Please explain In Parts the Formula for BRF and Medium grade/coarse Vermiculite. I did 2 Verm : 1 brf : 1 water and only one jar is having any luck. This is for Half pint Jars. thanks

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: 1_fr0ghair]
    #2911328 - 07/21/04 06:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i put some karo (one teaspoon for a 6 jar batch) in my water on my second batch an trust me i won't ever forget to do that again. wow the ones with karo in them really blasted outta the gate.

hell maybe i just got lucky but it sure worked for me.

No,you didn't just get lucky,lol.Adding honey or karo is adding nutrients,just don't over do it.I use karo in every grow,in some shape,form,or fashion.They really have a sweet tooth,lol.

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinehydr0420
Psycopahtic Ryda

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: doc34]
    #2911583 - 07/21/04 10:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I put Karo in my jars once, and talked to a couple people before I Pressure cooked them. I was told it would carmalize and ruin my jars. Is this not true? did i waste all my time emptying and redoing those jars?

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: Fine vermiculite formula [Re: hydr0420]
    #2911632 - 07/21/04 10:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've been using fine vermiculite with success...packing the jars as lightly as poss. Also on the topic of boosting it with tasty juice, hemp/flax seed oil has really made the mycelium explode on 2 WBS jars i inooculated a few days ago.

Offlinechully
Stranger
Karo? [Re: deafpanda]
    #2911718 - 07/21/04 11:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I was looking at this and the idea of using karo really hooked me. I've been thinking of doing something like that, but I have always followed the teks to the letter, and this sounds great. Just to clarify, karo as in http://www.karosyrup.com -- that kind of karo? would any sweetener (eg sucrose) work? I will remember "one t. of karo per 6 jars"

Invisible1_fr0ghair
Stranger

Re: Karo? [Re: chully]
    #2913021 - 07/21/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah man plain old white syrup. mine was Blackburns White Corn syrup.

chully: like i said i warmed one of my cups of water and added the karo then mixed it with the rest of the water before i put it in the BRF and Verm. keep in mind that i only added one teaspoon for a 6 jar batch.

hydro420: i don't have a pressure cooker so i don't know for sure about your question maybe Doc can help with your answer.

Peace

fr0g :frog:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hemp, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation