Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineclockvvork
Stranger
first timer casing q
    #2906839 - 07/20/04 12:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I laid down about 1/2 inch of dry verm and crumbled 2 pint creeper PF jars on top of that and am letting it sit in the dark for 24hours, now when they say the casing should be 1/4 of the substrate depth, is the substrate depth just the depth of the broken up cakes or is it the dry verm and the crumbled cakes because my two cakes made less than an inch on top of the verm( container is 16x11x9 in. )

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: first timer casing q [Re: clockvvork]
    #2907375 - 07/20/04 03:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

when they refer to "the casing" they mean the top casing...you didnt specifically mention casing on top but you did mention casing on bottom....casing on bottom is optional casing on top is what you want...

So assuming you do have casing on top :tongue: it should be 1/4 the "substrate depth"...substrate depth is the depth of the crumbled cakes only...no bottom or top casing counts...so if your crumbled cakes are 4 inches, the top casing should be 1 inch, according to your ratio, and again bottom verm is optional...

Oh yea you mention "dry verm", you want to use wet verm on top, not dripping wet just wet    Good Luck :mushroom2:

OfflineLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: first timer casing q [Re: clockvvork]
    #2907501 - 07/20/04 04:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I laid down about 1/2 inch of dry verm and crumbled 2 pint creeper PF jars on top of that and am letting it sit in the dark for 24hours

....Uh oh. You just put your substrate on top of your casing layer, definitely not what you're supposed to do. A "casing" is when you have a large substrate with a non-nutritive layer on top. You need to be going about this a little bit differently, I reccomend using 60/40 verm/coir casing layer under a 3 pint layer of substrate. You also need to build an incubator or else things aren't going to work out, you can't be having that "casing" just sitting the dark at room temperature... you need to let it colonize the casing layer for a day or 2, patch, incubate again for a day and fruit. Switch around the way you're making that casing, because the substrate goes on the bottom, and the non-nutritive casing layer on top (straight coir brough to field capacity will work, as well as a mixture of verm. and coir brought to field capacity.)

Good luck, my friend! (A drunken post at 3:30 in the morning... I'm tryin here).

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation