Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
OUTFOXED
    #2906405 - 07/19/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i just ordered this DVD from amazon, it should be here before the end of the week  :laugh: i can't wait to see it, the trailer is really good, check it out...

www.outfoxed.org
"Outfoxed examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2906409 - 07/19/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Becuase we all know, Fox News is in on a conspiracy too.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: Redo]
    #2906417 - 07/19/04 06:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redo said:
Becuase we all know, Fox News is in on a conspiracy too.

part of the right wing's move towards an orwellian world....the first outlet for big brother

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2906444 - 07/19/04 07:01 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know."

No such right exists. One has the right to seek knowledge but not to be provided with knowledge.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: OUTFOXED [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2906595 - 07/19/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Bullshit. You claim that we don't have the right to know what our governemnt is doing about any given subject at any time? I could not possibly disagree more strongly.

Quote:

One has the right to seek knowledge but not to be provided with knowledge.

Irrelevant argument at best. When talking about general knowledge and general people and general motivation and lazyness, then sure.. you have a point. But we're not. We're talking about the right of the American people to know what their government is doing in their names, and the propaganda fronts that obfuscate that right. And yes - it is a right.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: OUTFOXED [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2906701 - 07/19/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think what he is saying is you have the right to look, but you don't have the right to expect the information to be given to you. I think he's saying you have to seek it.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

#2906747 - 07/19/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ancalagon said:
Quote:

This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know."

No such right exists. One has the right to seek knowledge but not to be provided with knowledge.

you truely are the king of BS

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2906756 - 07/19/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bullshit. You claim that we don't have the right to know what our governemnt is doing about any given subject at any time? I could not possibly disagree more strongly.

I said NOTHING OF THE SORT. The initial post specified fox news then shot off the statement about the publics right to know. I repeat, there is NO SUCH RIGHT that obligates a private television network to provide us with information. Government is a completely different story. Government, deriving its power from the consent of the governed, ABSOLUTELY has, not a right(those are inherent), but the PRIVILEDGE(something granted to an individual or entity by something of higher authority...yes, despite what occurs today, people are a higher authority than the state) of providing us with knowledge.

Perhaps, if in the future there is some confusion as to what I meant, you should ask me to CLARIFY instead of shooting out a bunch of irrelevant rebuttals to arguments I never made. Appreciate it much, buddy.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: AhronZombi]
    #2906759 - 07/19/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

you truely are the king of BS

I DEMAND that you prove an individual has the right to be provided information from a private corporation. If you cannot, I suggest you shut the hell up.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

#2906903 - 07/19/04 10:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think that this is really the point, here:

You claim that the public has no such inherant right to know. I claim that the public has a penultemate right to know what it government is up to - not necessarily to be spoon fed the information, but to have it available to them; the whole and un-spun version of the information, which some simply refer to as "The Truth". While you are technically correct that we have no right to be "provided information from a private corporation", the larger point is that when such a private corporation becomes an official propaganda arm of a part of the government (and in this case, an extremist and fringe part of the government), the corporation itself has become an obstacle in the ability of the people to know what the government is doing.

The corporation - in this case Fox News and Newscorp specifically (as you will recall that the original subject is about the documentary Outfoxed) - then becomes something quite in the way of democracy, rather than a tool of democracy.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2907531 - 07/20/04 02:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

No such right exists.

In the same way that no right to life,liberty and happiness really exists outside the minds of a few people?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2907597 - 07/20/04 05:09 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What about how fair and balanced CNN, BBC, AL-JEZERA and MSNBC are?

I find it hillarious that there are so many sheep here that feel FOX NEWS is evil and unfair because they oppose their believes but grab their ankles when CNN, BBC, AL-JEZERA and MSNBC is concerned.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2907792 - 07/20/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

CNN and MSNBC are shite, as well. You cannot put them in the same class as the BBC and Al-Jazeera.

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage

Al-Jazeera may be the only news source in the middle east that comes anywhere near impartial and unbiased. Occasionally some pro-Palestinian bias will creep into their reporting, and there is decidedly some anti-US editorializing (remember - editorials and Op-Eds are NOT the same as news and reporting), but they are without a doubt the best source of news from the middle east.

In fact, if you want to do a really interesing experiment, take a news story that involves Israel, the West Bank, or the Palestinians - then find that story on Al Jazeera, then on http://www.israelnationalnews.com/, then on http://edition.cnn.com/ (the web version of CNN International), and then see if you can even find the story on CNN.com or MSNBC.com.

But if you believe that Al Jazeera news is as biased as Fox, CNN, or MSNBC et. al. then you are not a reader/watcher of it. Because while I don't often agree with you, Innvertigo, you are not stupid - and to believe that while being a regular reader of their news, you'd have to be.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2907837 - 07/20/04 09:04 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CNN and MSNBC are shite, as well. You cannot put them in the same class as the BBC and Al-Jazeera.

Sure I can, It's all a matter of perspective.  Actually I'd choose MSNBC over the BBC anyday.  As for Al-Jezeera, the fact that you put the BBC in the same realm made me smile a bit.

Quote:

Al-Jazeera may be the only news source in the middle east that comes anywhere near impartial and unbiased.

:what:

edit: that's not really saying much

Quote:

But if you believe that Al Jazeera news is as biased as Fox, CNN, or MSNBC et. al. then you are not a reader/watcher of it.

I'd say the same if you think that they aren't.  Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.  Then again I come from the position that anytime a homicide bomber goes into a crowded mall and blows people up, bad and don't give two shits about trying to justify it. (not saying you in particular)

Quote:

Because while I don't often agree with you, Innvertigo, you are not stupid - and to believe that while being a regular reader of their news, you'd have to be. 

That's good to hear.  I'm not defending Fox news nor am I anti-BBC persay.  I watch CNN from times to time as well as FOX news and MSNBC.  Granted I don't watch Al-Jazeera because I don't have a satalite but I would if it were on my cable stations.  When Fox says that something I as well as most others don't just leave it at that.  If they say Bush did or didn't do something I just don't immediatly cite my source as Fox news, rather I try to incorporate a little common sense (which works sometimes and not so good on other things).  But you have to be honest as well, the BBC does not always report things as they are, nor does Al-Jezeera.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: GazzBut]
    #2907862 - 07/20/04 09:14 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Quote:

No such right exists.

In the same way that no right to life,liberty and happiness really exists outside the minds of a few people?

technically, and scientifically, you have no 'rights' to a damn thing except to be born, and to die at some stage in your life.

Satisfaction not garunteed.
Sorry, no refunds.

Mother nature loves you. :smootch:

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: OUTFOXED [Re: Barbi]
    #2907910 - 07/20/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I wholeheartedly agree. Rights only exist in the minds of men and not outside of them.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: GazzBut]
    #2908058 - 07/20/04 10:18 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ditto.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinecoralrives
Adventurer

#2908220 - 07/20/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I would just once like to see any of you leftist admit that CNN, ABC, CBS and NBS have been arms of the left for years and years. Its so funny how FOX NEWS draws all this critisism now, once it has become 3! in ratings. Maybe thats cause lots of us spoon fed folks are tired of the HUGE LEFT SLANT those afore mentions Corporations have fed us for decades....

--------------------
"Be good and you will be lonesome."
Mark Twain

Grow Log

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: OUTFOXED [Re: coralrives]
    #2908236 - 07/20/04 11:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinecoralrives
Adventurer

#2908254 - 07/20/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
"Be good and you will be lonesome."
Mark Twain

Grow Log

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder