Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedantethemad
Warrior Monk
Overwhelmed....
    #2905939 - 07/19/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys, I'm new here so bare with me.

ok, well I never actually considered hunting for shrooms... I've always just bought them or what not. Anyways, I went to visit my parents and they've got alot of land, so I thought I would have a recon trip and look around a bit.

Well I've never paid any attention to mushrooms before. So I was really overwhelmed when I noticed how many different kinds there are. I mean, geez... The woods are perfect I guess, fallen and decaying trees everywhere, completely moist and dark soil etc. There must have been a few dozen different types out there. Everything from normal big red things to neon yellow babies and even these wierd things that looked more like white tulips than mushies.

Needless to say I just looked. I didn't even attempt to take anything. I guess I never realized that there were so many friggin mushrooms out there.

So having said that, I saw alot of shrooms that looked like candidates but I really couldn't be sure. Should I just take a digi with me next time and post pics? This is michigan by the way, in case that helps.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Overwhelmed.... [Re: dantethemad]
    #2905964 - 07/19/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

so true u just have to ge upof ur ass to find thant shrooms have been growing in the backyard,

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Overwhelmed.... [Re: dantethemad]
    #2906030 - 07/19/04 06:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The best way to learn about identifying mushrooms is to go out, find some, and try to identify them. Any mushrooms you want to identify you need to bring back home with you. Take notes in the field - habitat is important. Limit yourself to a couple kinds of mushrooms. At first, don't go for the LBMs (Little Brown Mushrooms) - they are orders of magnitude harder to identify than the distinctive ones. Instead, start with some of the more distinctive looking ones. Work your way up to the LBMs. Spend time yourself going through whatever books you have and do the best you can. At first you won't do well, but the time spent will make you better at it later. Then go ahead and post photos and a description of what you found, and we'll help you to identify them. Ask questions - why isn't this in genus xxx like I thought?

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification