Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: the sky
Conscience ridden smuggler or something?
    #2905303 - 07/19/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- A guilt-ridden fugitive who turned himself in after 20 years served just 45 days in prison for drug smuggling because a judge was moved by the man's integrity.

Rene Alzugaray-Cira, 62, who had been held in Miami's Federal Detention Center since he turned himself in last month, could have been sentenced to 10 years.

"Go home to your daughter and your little grandbabies and live out the rest of your life," Senior U.S. District Judge James Lawrence King said Thursday in sentencing Alzugaray to time served.

Alzugaray was arrested in 1984 after he was found on a boat loaded with marijuana. He pleaded guilty -- though in court this week he said he was never a smuggler -- but skipped his sentencing.

"I was scared," he said. "I panicked because I thought I would be going to prison for a long time."

For two decades, Alzugaray built lobster traps and picked vegetables in Florida. But in the past year, he reunited with his adult daughter, who urged him to turn himself in to ease his troubled conscience.

The prosecution and defense had recommended Alzugaray receive a two-year sentence. But King warmed to Alzugaray's case when assistant public defender Stewart Abrams said his client "came to the courthouse door and said, 'I did something wrong. I want to make amends."'

Because the federal court system had no sentencing guidelines when Alzugaray pleaded guilty, King had leeway to determine the sentence.

Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service