Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
A few casing q's
    #2905087 - 07/19/04 12:07 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

hey there....
so I'll get right to it:
I don't have a humidity chamber to put my casings in so I'm gonna just put each one in a plastic bag... my question is how often should I spray the casings for humidity and how? spray on the casing? Or just lightly over the top and let the mist sink in...

Second question: Why is it (or is it at all) good to let cakes have 1 flush before casing? I hear a lot of ppl crumble and case after the first or second flush... is this the best way to do it or would it be just as good to case imidiatelly?

next q: If it were impossible to get at straw and pasturize it would you... just case straight PF cakes? or just case straight popcorn? or perhaps even mix them somehow?

Thanks a lot for all your help guys...

--------------------
www.powertabs.net <--- best guitar tablature site ever!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: A few casing q's [Re: death_by_desire]
    #2905190 - 07/19/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

First question, mist a few times a day. Let a light mist settle over them, you're goal is to get them saturated, but not waterlogged. You'll quickly get a feel for the thirst of your mushrooms. Use the color of your casing if possible to monitor moisture. Remember that fresh air is important too.

No idea I don't use cakes anymore. My guess is that they fruit first because they are worried about cross contamination from handling before casing. Ask others.

Yes you can case PF cakes plain, or popcorn, or a mixture. Think of them all as sources for mycelium and food, that's all they are. What will you be using as casing?

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2905209 - 07/19/04 01:00 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1)  You can spray directly on the casing itself.  You have to spray when the layer looks dry.  With coir, it's easy to know since it changes color when dry.

You might consider a rubbermaid with perlite for a simple and cheap terrarium.  I'm not saying a plastic bag couldn't work but it's a lot of extra problems in my opinion.  Air exchange is more complicated.  Growing room is quite small.  Contams risk are higher due to the design of your room. :wink:

2)  I never heard such a thing of letting cakes flush 1 time before casing.  Maybe some people want that good first flush from a cake and then prefer to case the cake before harvesting the further flushes known to be a little less good.  I wouldn't do both myself.  I would birth as a cake and die with it or case immediately and die with it.

3)  If bulk wasn't an option for me, I would stick with grain culture and case grain.  I wouldn't bother with pf-cake since they take too much time to colonize.  You can colonize a grain jar that is 4 times bigger than the pf-cake in half the time it takes for the cake.  Casing grain works really good and you sure don't really need to go with bulk, unless you need pounds and pounds of shrooms.

Enjoy these popcorn casings ! :

1 quart of Golden Teacher

2 quarts of EQ

2 Quarts of Golden Teacher

.fs.

Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
Re: A few casing q's [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2905329 - 07/19/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well I am using a coir/verm mixture, what color does the coir become when its dried up?

--------------------
www.powertabs.net <--- best guitar tablature site ever!!!

OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

#2905336 - 07/19/04 02:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Concerning your 3rd question...
If you can't get ahold of straw, try a BRF/verm/OHM (organic hulled millet) mixture. I hear its better than those others you had listed :smile:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2905641 - 07/19/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Your coir will look quite a bit lighter in color as it dries out. When you are misting it you know you have saturated it when it gets a nice even darker look to it.

MYKEY

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation