Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
When to patch casing Q
    #2901721 - 07/18/04 06:22 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I tried out my first casing a few days ago... just used 2 PF cakes... so not a very deep substrate layer at all... perhaps an inch at the thikest places, anyway.. I'm just doing this for fun to see if it works... I have some jars currently colonizing which will all be cased when they are done, the cakes I cased now were in my fruiting chamber before, they were the only ones without fruits so I cased them...

Anyway... its been 2 days at at some places I can see mycelium peeping through my 60/40 coir mix, should I patch it up or leave it?
and I wanted to ask at what point are the casings ready to be birthed? When you can see mycelium at the top... what is the process, I thought that the casing layer acts sort of like the vermic layer, while dunking and rolling.. wouldn't that mean that the mycelium should actually stay a bit below the surface?

Just please help me out.. I think you guys understand what I want to know

--------------------
www.powertabs.net <--- best guitar tablature site ever!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleeasyskunkin

Re: When to patch casing Q [Re: death_by_desire]
    #2901771 - 07/18/04 07:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I my (modest) experience, you should patch the places where mycelium is appearing first if it is only in a few places, but if it looks even then you should place it in the fruiting chamber, or you risk to overlay the casing (mycelium growing on top of the casing which makes it impossible to water). I generally run the casings two, three days tops if my casing is very thick (more than one inch) and place it in the fruiting chamber as soon as I can see the first traces of mycelium in the bottom of the "valleys", or even before I see anything, because anyway it takes a few days to the mycelium to stop vegetative growing and start fruiting. Hope I helped.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation