Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Religion and Politics
    #2901627 - 07/18/04 04:45 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The parental units came to visit me over the weekend. Our family was raised Southern Baptist. But our congregation was certainly not overtly fundamentalist when I attended during my high school years.

I had some conversations with my parents this weekend, and learned to my sadness that our current pastor, Dr. Gunn (I'm not making this up) is preaching vote George W. Bush. I have distanced myself from politics over the years, but when I heard this I felt blood pumping up into my neck, I twitched a little and I don't recall what I said I was so shocked. That SOB..how dare he bring politics into this realm.

I guess I am a little naive. I am not a religous person. My beliefs concur with many of the teachings I was raised with in that church. But I can't help feeling that something was stolen from me, I feel violated that this bullshit is being preached in my old church.

I am thinking about sending him a letter and telling him politely but clearly that I don't appreciate him claiming that God favors a certain candidate in this election.

Am I wrong? Will what I say do any good or should I just let it be?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Religion and Politics [Re: Jellric]
    #2901641 - 07/18/04 04:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What you say will do no good (like my seven thousand posts here), but do it anyway. Throw in some Biblical quotes about loving thine enemy and not killing when speaking of Bush and say how Christ would NOT approve of us killing God's other children...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Religion and Politics [Re: Jellric]
    #2901650 - 07/18/04 05:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Last time I went to a church (with my parents) the paster's message there was very similar. Vote Bush, and you're voting for a moral, Christian America. Several people in the congregation spoke a resounding "AMEN."

I couldn't believe it either. My husband and I looked at one another with bulging eyes that said, WTF?

Mingling religion and politics has happened many times throughout history, as I recall, all throughout the world. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. But I was anyway.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Religion and Politics [Re: MOTH]
    #2901655 - 07/18/04 05:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My brother is a Born-Again Christian and a big Bush supporter. When I point out the hypocrisy about war, he manages to find some obscure justification. That is the beauty (and terror) of these types of beliefs: one can justify ANY HORRIFIC act!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology