Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: Seuss]
    #2899948 - 07/17/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Why do I care if gay people marry?!

because it will undermine the sacred institution of marriage, leading to social decay and the decline and eventual fall of society, not to mention the wrath of god.

:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: ]
    #2899993 - 07/17/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

because it will undermine the sacred institution of marriage, leading to social decay and the decline and eventual fall of society, not to mention the wrath of god.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty... let them marry and if the world starts to turn in the opposite direction, well, we can worry about it then.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: daussaulit]
    #2900181 - 07/17/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think that the government should get out of the marriage business.

Tell everyone that they are free to marry whomever or whatever they want, and that we don't care.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2900196 - 07/17/04 03:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

*GASP* *HORROR* You used a four-letter word! F**E! The government hates that word.

Anyone else here notice that most all homosexuals are offspring from married heterosexuals?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2900298 - 07/17/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:

Tell everyone that they are free to marry whomever or whatever they want, and that we don't care.

unfortunatly marriage has a legal status, so you can wed however you want, just not with legal status.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2900316 - 07/17/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:

I think they should wipe the word "marriage" out of the law. Civil unions for gay people, and civil unions for straight people. Religions can call them marriages if they want.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: silversoul7]
    #2900338 - 07/17/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think we should stop giving everyone tax breaks for shacking up with eachother and breeding.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2900354 - 07/17/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's not just about tax breaks(on balance, married people actually get penalized more). It's about visitation rights, inheritance rights, etc. Also, there's the issue of who's entitled to what in a divorce.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2900383 - 07/17/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I read (don't know if it's true) that the first marriage licenses in the U.S. were required as a way to stop interracial marriages. The government has no business in marriage or any other voluntary union between consenting adults (yes, I also support the right to engage in polygamy - though one wife is often too much). Any people so desiring should be able to have signed statements as to who has visitation rights, inheritance rights, etc. and it should not be up for dispute by any governmental body.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: Evolving]
    #2900393 - 07/17/04 04:41 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent point. Let the people involved work out the terms of the contract, and leave the government with only the authority to enforce it.

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: Evolving]
    #2900441 - 07/17/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I read (don't know if it's true) that the first marriage licenses in the U.S. were required as a way to stop interracial marriages. The government has no business in marriage or any other voluntary union between consenting adults (yes, I also support the right to engage in polygamy - though one wife is often too much). Any people so desiring should be able to have signed statements as to who has visitation rights, inheritance rights, etc. and it should not be up for dispute by any governmental body.

ABSOLUTELY true. A related historical fact is that the first gun licenses were issued to free'd slaves that the government feared would take arms in revenge against their former masters.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: daussaulit]
    #2900513 - 07/17/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think alot of people here are side-stepping the fact that the gay marriages issue is a product of rogue activist courts. I have a problem with it because it is an abitrary revision of the most fundamental social contract in human civilization, and is being forced upon an unwilling public and legislature by self-righteous judges.
The process of 'legalizing' gay marriage has been in no way democratic. Certaint groups use autocratic courts to force changes on the culture that the majority rejects.
If the public really wanted gay marriages and congress voted to pass it, then fine. But when one social group tries to use the judicial branch to overide the democracy in favor their agenda I have a serious problem.
Moreover, changing what marriage is should not happen on a whim. People should think of the ultimate consequences of dissolving the cultural basis for the family unit. There is a slippery slope as well. I see no reason why the same argument can't be used in favor of polygamy or pedophilia, save for those practices aren't as culturaly recognized. Unless we are really ready for a true anarchist or Spartan society, we should be apprehensive about letting the basis of human civilization be changed. If we are ready, then let the Congress decide, not the courts.
I am surprised so many libertarians support such an autocratic policy.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2900539 - 07/17/04 06:01 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I think alot of people here are side-stepping the fact that the gay marriages issue is a product of rogue activist courts.

Seems to me that they're just following the Equal Protection clause.

Quote:

I have a problem with it because it is an abitrary revision of the most fundamental social contract in human civilization, and is being forced upon an unwilling public and legislature by self-righteous judges.

I love how people like you use the word "force." It is none of your business if two men or two women want to declare their love for each other and sign a mutually binding contract. The public is not being forced into anything except minding its own business.

Quote:

The process of 'legalizing' gay marriage has been in no way democratic. Certaint groups use autocratic courts to force changes on the culture that the majority rejects.

So what? Democracy is nothing more than the tyranny of the majority. The majority does not have any more right to impose its will on peaceful individuals than does a minority.

Quote:

Moreover, changing what marriage is should not happen on a whim. People should think of the ultimate consequences of dissolving the cultural basis for the family unit.

Like what? Having to mind your own business?

Quote:

There is a slippery slope as well. I see no reason why the same argument can't be used in favor of polygamy or pedophilia, save for those practices aren't as culturaly recognized.

What's wrong with polygamy? If all parties involved are willing, then what's wrong with having more than one wife(apart from having a bunch of women PMSing at the same time)? As for pedophilia, the difference is informed consent. A child is not mature enough to fully understand the repurcussions of sex. If they were, I'd have no problem with it.

Quote:

Unless we are really ready for a true anarchist or Spartan society, we should be apprehensive about letting the basis of human civilization be changed.

Long live anarchy!!!! Fuck the government!!!

Quote:

If we are ready, then let the Congress decide, not the courts.

No, let people make decisions for themselves, instead of letting the government tell them who they can and can't sign a voluntary contract with.

--------------------

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2900589 - 07/17/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

How can you hate the government so much? They have to provide people of lesser needs just because it would be inhumane to let them live a miserable life. But as soon as they step in on any other topic, its a complete hatred. You have to give and take some, and gay marriage is a relativly new issue. Some states dont even allow some forms of sex. This has to be debated and decided on the legislative side, not on the judicial end.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: Redo]
    #2900613 - 07/17/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redo said:
How can you hate the government so much?

Simple. I don't like thugs who initiate force against peaceful individuals.

Quote:

They have to provide people of lesser needs just because it would be inhumane to let them live a miserable life.

No, it would be inhumane to CAUSE them to live a miserable life. If they make bad choices in life, it is their responsibility to deal with it.

Quote:

But as soon as they step in on any other topic, its a complete hatred.

And rightfully so. I will continue to oppose tyranny in all forms.

Quote:

You have to give and take some, and gay marriage is a relativly new issue. Some states dont even allow some forms of sex. This has to be debated and decided on the legislative side, not on the judicial end.

People have a right to live as they see fit, so long as they do not initiate force against others. With this right comes the obligation to respect others' rights to do the same. This is a matter of human rights, and is not up for discussion.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2904686 - 07/19/04 06:54 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I think they should wipe the word "marriage" out of the law. Civil unions for gay people, and civil unions for straight people. Religions can call them marriages if they want.

That is the best idea I have heard yet.

--------------------

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: GW Bush is disappointed that same-sex marriage wasn't ba [Re: Seuss]
    #2905094 - 07/19/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Quote:

Why change it? There is no difference between that idea and just legalizing gay marriage. Its playing word games.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2905142 - 07/19/04 10:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

> Its playing word games.

Exactly, which is why this is such a waste of time... it is all word games... stupid waste of money... Why change it? Because people are getting their panties in a wad about it... so remove the problem and let people call their union whatever they want... as long as the law offers equal protections to couples, gay or straight, I don't care what they call it.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2905148 - 07/19/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redo said:
Quote:

Seuss said:
Quote:

Why change it? There is no difference between that idea and just legalizing gay marriage. Its playing word games.

So is outlawing gay marriage simply because of some dictionary definition of the word "marriage."

--------------------

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2905299 - 07/19/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

So is outlawing gay marriage simply because of some dictionary definition of the word "marriage."

And the legal definition.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale