Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Thinking of trying out grain, couple questions
    #2899988 - 07/17/04 04:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My first try at cultivation was PF cakes, and it has gone very well. I'd like to try out grain cultivation now, what I'm thinking is I will use an exhuasted cake, broken up, to innoculate the grain. My idea is to steralize the grain in jars with my PC, then put the grain into a try that is around the same size as the bottom of my terrarium and let it colonize there. My first question, obviously, is do you guys think this is a good idea? Secondly, if I do this, should I put the broken up cakes on the very bottom of the tray, then cover them with the grain, or put down some grain first, then cakes, then cover them, essentially putting them in the "middle" for the myc to grow out in all direcsions and thus colonizing the entire substrate faster. Lastly, would any one grain work better for this then others? My thought is to use popcorn as it seems to be the easiest to prepare, but if I'll have a better flush with something else using a method like this I think that would be worth the extra hassle.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Thinking of trying out grain, couple questions [Re: Erasmusluclin]
    #2900010 - 07/17/04 04:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Forget the exhausted cake, it would have picked up contam spores in your fruiting terrarium. Prepare a new liquid inoculant, like dextrose and shoot some grain. Beats shooting spores to grain. And don't try to colonise that sterilised raw grain in a tray, it will contam. Do it all in the jar. Go read the grains FAQ. You're way off.

Convert Metric and Imperial.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation