Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Fertilized pre-mixed soils & casings
    #2899540 - 07/17/04 12:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've been thinking about casing in a pre-mixed soil next time. I have troubles balancing pH appropriately and get tired of the mess and hastle. I have heard people suggesting cactus soil, and I myself have used plain Jiffy Mix. My thoughts center around the new fad of fertilizers worked into the soil when you buy them.
1st off, I wonder what the effects of temperature on the fertilizers would be if any - perhaps they break down with heat(during sterilization)and release toxic substances. 2nd, I wonder whether the fertilizers could harm either myself during consumption of the mushrooms, or the mycelium during growth. Finally, I wonder if in fact all of the previous elements pose no hazards, do the fertilizers actually have the potential to increase mycelium growth and fruiting yeild? Hmmmm... let the experiments begin.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fertilized pre-mixed soils & casings [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #2899554 - 07/17/04 12:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

fertilizers contain nutrients and thus are very prone to contamination. The whole idea of a casing layer is to have a non-nutritious substance to hold water. If there are nutrients in the casing layer then contaminants have a better chance of colonizing it before the mycelium does. what kind of fertilizer are you talking about anyway??

Jiffy mix is meh... it works... but I prefer to make my own.
What do you use? 60/40 vermiculite/coco coir is my favorite.
If you are having problems balancing the PH you should add a little horticultural hydrated lime and crushed oyster shells. about a teaspoon of lime for every two or three cups of casing.

--------------------

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2899558 - 07/17/04 12:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Be careful on what you use. Some premixed soils contain fugicides which will hinder growth. You may still get growth, but it'll be slow. Jiffy Mix has been used effectively by many people though. I plan to give it a go in the near future.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Re: Fertilized pre-mixed soils & casings [Re: QandA]
    #2899618 - 07/17/04 01:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

What I currently use is a peat vermiculite 75/25. I change my casing often, trying new things. Almost everything seems to work, with a thick substrate layer I've had pure vermiculite work with spraying. I know 75/25 seems like a lot of peat, and it is. I use 2 teapsoons on average per 2 cups substrate. That is what I have found balances the pH best; (occasionally use pH meter; borrowed) i hate indicators.
I point out my mixed casing because the mycelium seams to love it. It actually makes it disappear by the end. Every thread of peat gets surrounded by mycelium. However, this is (as in my current brood) problematic sometimes because as the mycelium refuse to stop vegetating and rise to the top of casing. This makes spraying difficult; a problem I'm trying to solve. I hate to destroy the almost crystaline beauty they are displaying above the surface.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #2899634 - 07/17/04 01:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ok wait.. so what you are saying is that the mycelium completely takes over your casing layer? That is called overlay, and is bad. You want to intitiate fruiting when the mycelium has colonized approximately 25%-40% of your casing layer, as it will usually take it a day or three of fanning and misting to stop the vegetative growth and begin pinning.

You do not want the mycelium to cover the whole casing layer. when you can see it poking through the surface at about 30% coverage, then begin the fanning/misting fruiting cycle. If the mycelium colonized the entire casing layer then you basically don't have a casing layer and mushrooms will be hard, if not impossible to grow. Overlay can be remedied by 'deep scratching', and while this can sometimes save a nearly doomed casing, it will not produce nearly as bountiful a harvest as it would have usually.

75/25 does seem like a lot. If you are going to use peat I'd go with 50/50.

--------------------

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Fertilized pre-mixed soils & casings [Re: Shroomism]
    #2899658 - 07/17/04 01:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Overlay is only a bad thing when the mycelium dies though. My foaf doesnt even use a casing layer and gets killer fruits. If the myc dies, though, it is counter-productive. I dont know why everyone freaks out about overlay. In some strains like South Aficans, you can't avoid overlay. It's a must for them to fruit. :stoned:

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #2899666 - 07/17/04 01:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

really... interesting.. I've just never had good experiences with overlay

--------------------

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Fertilized pre-mixed soils & casings [Re: Shroomism]
    #2899670 - 07/17/04 01:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Now dont get me wrong. Overlay can be a bitch if you let it get out hand. Sometimes you just have to bitch slap it and tell it to calm the fuck down... :rockets:

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

#2899705 - 07/17/04 02:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Currently they have not overtake all of the substrate, but by the end they will have. Currently though they do have rhizomorph projections from every crevice. I have been fanning, but not misting them (they seem moist enough) several times a day. On occasion I have misted spots that seemed dry.

Do you suggest cold shock. Or adding a thin layer of casing on top of the current top. Do you think deep scratching is neccesary just yet. That's a bit extreme. I should point out that the tissue is not dead. It is fluffy and crystaline, quite pretty. It probably only occupies 20% of the surface area, but its presence is very defined, its everywhere, in every crack. I haven't had this problem before, usually pins will poke through the rhizomorph clusters, that is where they originate. Hmmm...

--------------------
-- Mazatec shaman

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation