Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS)
    #2899468 - 07/17/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok so my jars are at 30 days as of today, and I have some problems.

1st- As you can see the cakes are not 100% colonized, and as I noticed this morning, I'm starting to get pins on the sides of the cake that are well colonized. As you can see from the pics most of the sides are colonized well, but the tops/bottoms didnt turn out that well  :frown:

So what do I do, It was reccomended that I try to cut out the parts of the cake that are un-colonized, but I wanted some more advice and pics just so I can be sure what my next step is.

Question-Can i birth the cakes with the little bit of un-colonized area's or is it mandatory to remove these area's?

ok anyway on with the pics thaks all in advance

ok as you can see here not all of the cake is colonized

and here the top is not completely colonized

*Well my bad I didnt resize the pics so I'm outa space LOL

anyway the rest of my jars are at mostly at the same colonization percent as the pics above. What do you guys/gals suggest i do at this point?

--------------------
Anything I might post on this site is fictional, the only knowledge I have is from reading post's on this site. I do not conduct any illegal activites whatsoever in any way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2899480 - 07/17/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, you'll need to cut off the uncolonized part of the cake. It will be prone to contams if you dont.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineCactusMonkey
Answers only toCthulu

Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: QandA]
    #2899485 - 07/17/04 09:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'd case them that way you can just crumble out the unused substrate.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: CactusMonkey]
    #2899522 - 07/17/04 10:16 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well Cactus this is my first attempt at this, and I have never casted before, and I think what my problem is with these jars is (1)-the water content was to high in my jar mix (2) my inc temp was set to high, it jumped from 82 to like 90 something for a couple days and I didnt catch it, so I got to much mosture and evaporation from to much heat, and well now to much condinsation on the indise of the jars has stopped them from growing  :frown:

Anyway I'm a bit hesitant to cast on my first try, also due to the fact that my mosture wasnt right in my jars, my luck LOL I'd screw up the mosture content in the casting mix as well HEHEH but undoubtably this might be my only option for a saved operation, as there is quite a bit of un-colonized area's, and that would be alot of cutting at the cake.

--------------------
Anything I might post on this site is fictional, the only knowledge I have is from reading post's on this site. I do not conduct any illegal activites whatsoever in any way.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #2899530 - 07/17/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Don't fret Catctus,

You can save the cakes as others advised by removing uncolonized areas but this can be tricky. Cross contamination from handling them in a quasi-surgical manner has happened to me back in PF cake days. So, you might want to try casing for your first time. It will increase your yeilds, help prevent cross contamination, and give your cakes a chance to finish colonizing. Just remember read up in the forum about casing and cross contamination. As for casing I suggest Jiffy Mix soil, its pH balanced (the hardest part for newb), and retains moisture great.

BTW - i suggest starting some new brood jars and saving just a tad bit of colonized area from the cakes to continue the cycle just in case things go wrong, and.. so next time you can do even better. Remember, you get better each time, so keep trying.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2899548 - 07/17/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: Citric]
    #2899564 - 07/17/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Domey they were in a tub-in-tub incubator the entire time no light, but I noticed today on one of the cakes that there were little white nubs starting to form, I assume these are the beginings of pins. its hard to explain but it looks like little white worms that are comming out of the bottom sides of a couple jars. but very very small like half the size of a maggot, soory for the discription :frown: but there is no color to the tip if these things, am I right in assuming they are pins?

Also about the cutting If i cut I'll be doing alot of cutting it would seem, as a good part of the cakes are un-colonized..well you can see from the pic

I'm undecided as what to do, but something has to be done and done soon. Thanks for all the help so far guys/gals I really appricate it.

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2899566 - 07/17/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2899567 - 07/17/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ohh also forgot I have not mastered searching the shroomery, I have found info on casing, but could someone give me a link on a good casing tek for beginers, if this is the route I decide to go, I just want to read up a bit, but I still am really undecided.

--------------------

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2899577 - 07/17/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ohh and another thing I'm using a perlite teraruim, so I'm wondering about humidity levels, I know castings like a bit lower humidity, so will casting in this enviroment work ok, or will i have to much humidity in a perlite teraruim?

Thanks again all

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2899578 - 07/17/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2899599 - 07/17/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Here ya go http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3288  Oh and it's called casing, not casting.  :smirk:

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineTrique
Psilocybe Junkie
Loc: Chocolate Town, Pennsylva...
    #2899633 - 07/17/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Are you sure you pressure cooked it? I had a friend who thought he could just baked it in a seal container with water at 350F but ended up baking the substrate. It dries out somewhat and colonization was weak and slow, but after literally about 75-85 days he came out clean with only about a 40% contam rate. The jars actually did really well after that once he cased them, because they got hydrated like hell.

If you are to mess around with them, I would only use 50% of them, and keep the ones that are doing somewhat better. Eventually you'll get a little success and be able to use those precious spores. Once you get your own fresh and highly sporulated syringe(s), you'll be colonizing in no time at all.

--------------------
Whatever said here is not of my experience or knowledge. In fact, it was found off one of those prizes in a Cracker Jack box. I'm not sure what to think of this, so I've come here to share my interesting findings.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2899635 - 07/17/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Domey said:
Those are rhizos.

Birth, cut, and lay them down and fruit.

Doomey would you suggest a dunk and roll at this point, I mean after I cut would you recommend a dunk before fruiting, or a dunk and roll even? or just cut and fruit?

--------------------

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2899645 - 07/17/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If there is enough to myc to hold the cake together, yes, dunk and roll.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2899662 - 07/17/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Alright lets first see if you have a problem. These growths do the look like they have a smooth skin to them or do they look like pieces of rope or string?
Should you decide to birth cut the uncolonized parts and heat up a nail and touch it to any exposed substrate parts that you may have to leave. Myc won't grow on the burnt substrate but neither will contams.
Do not cut anything off the cake. If there primorida (starting shrooms) then you want to grow them, if it's rizzo growth you want to put them back in the incubator and leave em. Rizzo myc growth is the best there is. Rizzo is when the myc looks like ropes.

Rhyzomorph : root like. A adjective used to decribe the apperance of the myc of some mushroom strains. Rhyzomorphic growing myc is usually a sign of a well fruiting strain.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: Magash]
    #2899677 - 07/17/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Magash well this is a bit of a tuff one, on most of the jars the sides are like a smooth skin, but I did have the ropey strands at one point, in fact on some spots on the jar there is still some ropey strands, but it appears that in the past 5 days they have stopped growing, the strainds are not reaching out with the aggresivness as before, and as you can see from the pics it appears to have stopped altogether.

I belive these little guys are primordia, they dont look like the ropey strainds, there to fat for that, but from what I have seen this isnt the ropy growth your refering to.

ohh and these ar PR strain.

Thanks again all for the help...I needed it

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2899686 - 07/17/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, lets see what we can do. Is the tape off the jars or are the holes open? Did you try flipping the jars at all?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2899691 - 07/17/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2899696 - 07/17/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Good catch, domey. Yeah, it takes forever for them to colonize with no air.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2899704 - 07/17/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

He he he....there has to be some hole's in the foil or it would have been hard to get the spores in. Wouldn't make sence to add it later, but as we've talked about on the chat anything can happen

--------------------

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2899782 - 07/17/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

well problem with that is I put my dry vercimilite in the aliminum foil, was this not the right thing to do? I hope that explains it, I made a pouch persay with the dry vercimilite on top in aluminum foil, so if I remove the foil, i remove the comtam barrier....what should I do? Also after closer inspection one of my jars has many pins (primordia) so I'm worndering if I should try to birth that one?

thanks again all

--------------------

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2899792 - 07/17/04 01:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

thats weird my last post didnt show up :confused: anyhoo so the problem with that is my dry vermiculite layer is sitting in the foil, what I mean is i made a pouch and stuffed the vermiculite in that, so if I remove the foil, I remove the contam barrier  :confused: Or do you mean just rip of the excess?

And yes Megash, my jars dont have tape on them, and they have been flipped  :smile:

So I think I'll just try to cut, then birth, I mean is there any use in waiting any longer for them to colonize, or should I take action? I thought that if a jar hadnt colonized within 30 days it wasnt going to and chances of the mushies growing in the jar becomes more of an issue?

Also one of the jars on closer inspection has quite a few pins (primordia) near the lid, should I try and birth what do you guys think?

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2899995 - 07/17/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2899998 - 07/17/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Domey, there is a tek out there that says to put the verm on the aluminum foil. I did it years ago when I first started. Since then there have been MANY other teks that are far better. But he did follow a tek, in his defense.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2900018 - 07/17/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks QaundA  :tongue2:Yes Doomey I did follow a tek, I was not aware it was out of date, belive me I did alot of reading, but thanks for all your help guys, I'm going to go ahead and birth the cake that has the pins.. see what happens, I'll try to do a dunk and roll, and see what I can get.

I'll get some more air in the others and see what happens, again guys thanks for all your help  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

#2900241 - 07/17/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

LOL, ya mon. Good eye. I would put the oven on 400 4 5min. Undue the top in front of oven and take off foil. Screw back on and put into fruiting chamber, leave the foil off. I would wait until they start 2 pin(IMO).

OfflineTrique
Psilocybe Junkie
Loc: Chocolate Town, Pennsylva...
Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: Trique]
    #2900468 - 07/17/04 05:16 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Also, in a casing use no perlite, just mist the top and sides everyday until you see pins, then just mist the sides. All you need is a little moisture. I've gotten away with 65% humidity, and as high as 90% althought 80-85% is prime. Perlite will bring it around 95-97% which is gonna cause very short shrooms, and a lot of mutants if you even get many at all.

--------------------
Whatever said here is not of my experience or knowledge. In fact, it was found off one of those prizes in a Cracker Jack box. I'm not sure what to think of this, so I've come here to share my interesting findings.

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Jars at 30 days...what do I do?? (PICS) [Re: Trique]
    #2901531 - 07/18/04 01:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Works the opposite for my foaf. He finds that perlite works wonders if you dont use too much. If you dont have enough humidity then your flush is stunted to all hell. Plus, the tops crack and split. He's found that 92-95% is prime for casings in his little dream world. 80% is still too low ime

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale