Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Ill fated consumptions.....
    #2895716 - 07/16/04 02:35 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sitting here thinking, i was just interested to know if while hunting, people have mistaken an active or edible for something nasty and poisonous and actually consumed. Im just curious to hear peoples stories of such events. Any shocking tales of nausea and such symptoms accompanied with poisoning is sure to help people respect mushrooms that little bit more....

peace

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Ill fated consumptions..... [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #2897362 - 07/16/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My dad and mom got poisoned last year. My dad and I were out hunting and found some large greyish brown mushrooms with broad white atatched gills, whiteish stem, spore print white, no veil, no volva, growing gregariously from a rotting log, in early june, in West virginia. These mushrooms had good texture and looked especially yummy. We identifed them as the "Platterful mushroom" using a field guide; sorry, i don't remember the latin name. The book said they were edible. My dad took them home and used them in a fish recipe. Both he and my mom said the mushrooms were delicious, but both of them spent the rest of the night barfing and shiting. They both looked a little miserable the next day but were fine after that. My mom said that she'd had a case of athletes foot that got better right after she got sick from the mushrooms (or was it the fish?). Maybe the toxin was a natural funguscide, there to protect the mushroom. I felt horrible about the whole thing because I helped ID the mushrooms. I still try new mushrooms, but now I stick to the owns listed as choice edible and never recomend species that I have not eaten myself. I seriousely doubt that I will ever eat a white gilled mushroom again.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2897463 - 07/16/04 04:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This spring at a Regional Rainbow Gathering, I arrived and everyone was raving about Beefsteak Mushrooms. A good, two dozen people had eaten them before I arrived. I was familiar with the Beefsteak Polypore, but I just couldn't see anyone raving about it. It was later than I found out they were talking about False Morels. I told everyone that they shouldn't eat 'em and made it very clear that I would have nothing to do with the collection and consumption of such mushroom.

One brother ate them three nights in a row... and fell ill and was puking and shitting violently for two days.

I sure hope he learned his lesson.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ill fated consumptions..... [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2897743 - 07/16/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

hippy brother is lucky he didn't get worse. you just don't play with MMH. i wish i had been there though, rainbow events tend to be great.

shroomydan: i'm sorry to hear about your parents but i'm glad they fared well for the experience and you take identification even more seriously now. just don't let it spoil you on some good edibles, taxanomic classification is there to make sure you can tel two species apart in some way.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
I've got nothing
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Ill fated consumptions..... [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2897781 - 07/16/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ShroomyDan, that sucks.
check this out if you are still interested in the platterful mushroom:

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/megacollybia_platyphylla.html

They do make some people sick. It has been written that they are edible in the past. Now its considered mildly toxic.
We have to be careful out there, never eat a mushroom you are not familiar with.
~MSA~

Edited by MadSeasonAbove (07/17/04 04:01 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Ill fated consumptions..... [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #2898077 - 07/16/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks MSA and concretefeet. I lied about the white gill thing. I may try a Parasol this year. I hear they are excelent.

Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Loc: ya moms trailer park
Re: Ill fated consumptions..... [Re: shroomydan]
    #2898133 - 07/16/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When i was like 8 or 9 i ate some mushrooms from the woods in my backyard, not knowing any better. When i found out what could happen it was one of the most scarry things i can remember. Reading through the symptoms and thinking that i was going to start experiencing them. I was lucky though, what i ate didnt even give make me puke. I dont remeber what species it was, cause it was so long ago but i learned my lesson in that encounter. Perhaps it even has something to do with my interest in mushrooms now.

Invisiblepuddytat
Stranger
    #2899220 - 07/17/04 07:06 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My mother told me about the time when I was 3 or 4 yrs. old & she was awakened by my labored breathing in the middle of the night. She said I had a temp of 107 & was delirious. My parents took me to our family Dr. who diagnosed me with mushroom poisoning, gave me a shot & sent me home. Believe it or not, I do remember playing out in the yard that day - my sister was supposed to be watching me but was sitting on a tree stump, reading a book. I don't remember even playing with any mushrooms & I don't remember getting sick. This incident happened over 40 yrs. ago in southside Virginia. I don't remember what time of year it was. Does this sound plausible? What type of mushroom poisoning could I possibly have had & what kind of "shot" did the Dr. probably give me? I've always puzzled over this & I've always been fascinated by mushrooms although a little wary of them as well.

InvisibleReverend_Jim_Jones
Stranger
    #2899308 - 07/17/04 09:23 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

In a moment of pure gonzo highschool experimentation I ate a handful of ergot fungus, because I'd heard it had "LSD" in it. Luckily I still have all my limbs, and by the time I found out just how dangerous the stuff was, I was able to deduce that i'd miraculously suffered no ill effects. All in the spirit of experimentation, I say (but do your research first...).

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Ill fated consumptions..... [Re: Reverend_Jim_Jones]
    #2899316 - 07/17/04 09:30 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

TRIP REPORT!!! notify me of the thread! (trip tips or other drugs)
im very curious to hear a first hand report of saint antonys fire

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification