Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
High School
    #2892432 - 07/15/04 06:01 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Do we ever really grow out of the social classroom setting?

We have the elites, the jocks, the nerds, the stoners, the druggies, the rednecks, the valedvictorians(sp?), etc. And the classroom has become the world. We bicker, form cliques, have fights, and compete for popularity on a regular basis.

If ideals of success / failure were learned by most of us for 12 years in a row, how much of a grasp do they have?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: High School [Re: Grav]
    #2892825 - 07/15/04 08:51 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #2892912 - 07/15/04 09:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

As far as the social hierarchy of the classroom endeavor, it can be ignored. By taking the classes that you wish to take and directing focus into your fortes, examples...mine were commercial art, music theory, orchestra, musical theatre, etc. Suprisingly enough, I didnt experience the "super clique" thing.

I buried myself in music and developed a great friendship with my Cancerian instructor.

Personally, I ignore everyone around me, because an educational institute is that exactly, not a fashion show.

As we grow older, most people like to stay in the social hierarchy. Fortunately I have run across alot of great people who segregate themselves from that "cosmopolitian position".

Through 12 years of social education, you need to learn how to deprogram yourself. It is related to going into the military, when you get out you are still in the mind set of "seek and destroy". When you get out of school, you need to adjust to your reality.

I personally just rode out. This was how I deprogrammed myself, I left my barcode, my id numbers, my personally bloody statistics....

Hmmm, a little confused this morning, sorry for any confusion in this post :-)

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineMcKennaFan200
AmateurGairologist

#2892920 - 07/15/04 09:32 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Do we ever grow out of the social classroom setting....the answer is yes.

--------------------

"It seemed to me culture is a shabby lie. Or at least this culture is a shabby lie. If you work like a dog, you get 260 channels of bad television and a German automobile. What kind of perfection is that?"-McKenna

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2892946 - 07/15/04 09:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Some people do, some people don't.

Just because some people don't doesn't mean that there aren't people who are capable of growth.

I generally don't judge people by their appearance anymore.. infact, I try not to judge people at all, until I've gotten to know them and how they think. Then I can either put them in a category of "like-minded", "not like-minded".

I'm pretty laid back, and I CAN get along with pretty much anyone.. but I still choose not to interact with 99.9% of the "not like-minded" category. (the .1% being my stoner friends, who I get along fine with but do not "actively think" as much as me.. they usually tell me to "stop over-analyzing!")

So, for me, the clique system has all but disappeared, because I choose not to make it a part of my life.

OfflineCrazyShroomMan
journeyman
Re: High School [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2893477 - 07/15/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Arent you in somewhat of a "clique" yourself by only conversing with that .1% of stoner friends?

Love is like a train...
Female

#2893623 - 07/15/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The kid has a point.

I dont think it is about being like-minded or not-like-minded, it is about being 'minded'. Everyone has a mind of their own, and whether they think like you or not isnt the question. The question is can you learn from these people...
you can only preach to the choir for so long.

No matter who you talk with, they will be biast, irrational, brilliant, ridiculous, and baffled all at the same time. People are who ever you want them to be. I cannot say it enough...
You create your own reality.
And apprieciate everyone, we all have alot to offer.

Even Bush in a sense...
You can learn from his mistakes and closed-min dedness (and that isnt even the word) :-)

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: High School [Re: CrazyShroomMan]
    #2893664 - 07/15/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

No, you're missing the point. Honestly, I communicate with like 3 people on a regular basis. I'm just not a very social individual. Because of this, it is very easy for me to leave the whole "social categorization" thing behind.

Edit: And to further clarify.. if your point is that by being anti-social in general I am promoting the concept of division into smaller groups... I suppose you have a point. :smile: But I'm so unaware of it's existance that I could care less, you see? heh.

Edited by JacquesCousteau (07/15/04 02:30 PM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: High School [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #2893669 - 07/15/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

by "like-minded" I didn't mean whether or not I like them.. I meant it more along the lines of whether or not they think in a similar way to me.. I find people matching that description a lot easier to relate to.

And because I'm not a terribly social individual in the first place, I take what I can get from the people who are easy to relate to and leave the rest alone.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2893676 - 07/15/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Most people never grow up. We are a society of children in adult bodies. You go through a couple of phases throughout your early school years. The first stage begins when you realize that adults are not perfect. The second stage begins when you realize that most adults are not adult.

As someone pointed out, we all tend to classify people and hang out with those we most identify with. I have always tried to have as varied a group of friends as possible. It helps me be more well rounded and tolerant. But I still have a core group of friends who I relate most closely to. When I get with them I find myself breathing a little easier, and being more myself.

I think as long as you realize that diversity is desirable and that differences should be tolerated you are fine. By giving other people the space to be themselves you give yourself room to be who you are as well.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2893680 - 07/15/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.cedu.niu.edu/~fulmer/groupthink.htm

Even Bush in a sense.. You can learn from his mistakes and closed-min dedness

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Love is like a train...
Female

#2893789 - 07/15/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"I dont think it is about being like-minded or not-like-minded, it is about being 'minded'. Everyone has a mind of their own, and whether they think like you or not isnt the question. The question is can you learn from these people..."

I knew what you were saying, I just got off track when I mentioned the "preaching to the choir" statement.

Sorry for the confusion.

Seems to me like you need a little "Fire" in your life.
It is very easy to relate with the ones you relate with, and then to leave the rest alone.

But not for me, Im too curious, and I jusmp into things head first, blindly, and I like it, haha.

So none the less we are all right in the decisions that we make, especially when it comes to our social status and ability.

:-) Continue to do what you do, but if our paths ever cross, I will take you on a beligerant sojourn full of diversity, and I think you might talk. Ha.

Much love.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#2893805 - 07/15/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

There's enough fire in my life as it is.. trying to beat back the flames a little as we speak actually...  :grin:

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2894590 - 07/15/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i had a long reply to this but i had to shut down my computer.

to sum it up i basically said that although ive been out of high school for only 1 year ive noticed already that the labels placed on everyone are disappearing. it truly doesnt matter what people were in high school

Love is like a train...
Female

#2894782 - 07/15/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ha, I could try that. If only I knew better....

--------------------

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2899118 - 07/17/04 02:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

XOIIAresIIOX,

Great answers! Did you write your sig? It's brilliant, whoever wrote it.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies