Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
U.S. Steers Consumers Away From IE
    #2892892 - 07/15/04 11:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&e=3&u=/cmp/20040702/tc_cmp/22103407
Quote:

The Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team touched off a storm this week when it recommended for security reasons using browsers other than Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer.

The Microsoft browser, the government warned, cannot protect against vulnerabilities in its Internet Information Services (IIS) 5 server programs, which a team of hackers allegedly based in Russia has exploited with a Java script that is appended to Web sites.

The particular virus initiated this week inserts Java script into certain Web sites. When users visit those sites, it initiates pop-up ads on home and office computers, and allows keystroke analysis of user information. The target is believed to be credit card numbers. CERT estimated that as many as tens of thousands of Web sites may be affected.

CERT said vulnerabilities in IIS and IE could include MIME-type determination, the DHTML object model, the IE domain/zone security model and ActiveX scripts. Alternative browsers such as Mozilla or Netscape may not protect users, the agency warned, if those browsers invoke ActiveX control or HTML rendering engines.

The only defense may be completely disabling scripting and ActiveX controls.

Microsoft said earlier in the week it is working with law enforcement officials to identify the source of the latest Internet virus.

Good thing I've been using opera for months now.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: U.S. Steers Consumers Away From IE [Re: daussaulit]
    #2894903 - 07/15/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

My rents just got some nasty virus that only a reformat could fix. As soon as IE was opened it threw up popups about protecting against spyware and then avg would instantly detect some virus right after.

Once I got accustomed to the mouse gestures in Opera about a year ago I couldn't use anything else. Also the right click + scroll wheel to switch between tabs is genius. Genius I tell ya.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: U.S. Steers Consumers Away From IE [Re: slime_R]
    #2895141 - 07/16/04 12:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

slime_R said:
Quote:

Also the right click + scroll wheel to switch between tabs is genius. Genius I tell ya.

Sweet, I haven't figured out all the hotkeys and mouse gestures, thanks for telling me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology