Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) * 1
    #2891947 - 07/15/04 02:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to try to keep this post light, but I'm actually kind of depressed about it.

The basic premise is: How does your brain operate? How do you get through life? How much do you fuck up because of the way your brain works?

I'm not trying to make excuses for my brain, but it certainly does get in my way. Forget for a minute the various official and unofficial diagnoses I may have received. Let me just tell you the way my brain works:

I forget about appointments, lunch engagements, and "to dos". I have been ordered to court several times in the last 5 years for OSCs re Contempt for my failure to make an appearance. Keep in mind that "forgetting" also extends to things that are important to me. During my marriage, in the beginning, my ex used to say that I only seemed to forget things that weren't important to me until the time I went to the store to get ONLY CHAMPAGNE (which I loved) and I came back with several bags of groceries, and no champagne.

I don't remember people whom I have met before. For instance, once I went to court for a hearing in a case on which I had been working for a year and a half. After the hearing, a woman wanted to talk to me, and had to remind me that she was my client, whom I was representing at that hearing.

I make plans to do something, not remembering that I already have prior commitments for the same time period. For instance, I made plans to do something with some people this weekend, not thinking that I was already compromised on some other responsibilities, and I had to cancel at almost the last minute.

Did anyone see the movie, "50 First Dates"? I am the girl in that movie, who has no short-term memory. Every day is basically a new day for me. I don't remember things I have said, or things I have done. This happens so often that I have been contemplating keeping a journal of things that happen during the course of a day so that I can remember what I said or did. Or who said what. During a pool game, I have to be reminded which color ball I am almost every single time I step up to the table to take my shot.

I went to Houston recently. On the way back to CA, I took my laptop out of my computer bag and put it on the front seat so that I could play a movie I had bought and listen to it while I drove. I did this in Lourdesburg. When I arrived in Tucson, I forgot that the laptop was on the front seat and looked in the computer bag, and it wasn't there. In a panic, I was about to drive back to Lourdesburg when I found it on the front seat.

I am famous for losing my keys on almost a daily basis. I can't keep track of my keys. I have tried various methods for keeping track of them, but I always find new ways to lose them. Most recently, I was in a Starbucks and I received a phone call from L.A. Fitness that they were in possession of my car keys. How was that possible, when my car was still sitting in the parking lot of the Starbucks in which I was sitting? Well, turns out I must have dropped them in that parking lot, someone found them, and that person nicely took them to L.A. Fitness, since I had an L.A. Fitness tag on the key chain.

I piss people off frequently. People constantly accuse me of being insensitive, uncaring, self-centered, etc. And I appear to be that way, I admit. But I don't know how to make my brain work differently.

The only thing I am good at is law. I am very good in court, when I manage to remember to make the damned appearance.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: Frog] * 1
    #2892087 - 07/15/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have been ordered to court several times in the last 5 years for OSCs re Contempt for my failure to make an appearance.

You aren't Courtney Love by any chance?

Seriously, that is pretty major if its affecting your life like that.
Have you had any head trauma or anything like that?

I used to be pretty absent minded, but nothing approaching your situation. I just mentally trained my way out of it, but if you suspect something physical is at the root of it, maybe time for a checkup?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: Jellric] * 1
    #2892109 - 07/15/04 03:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for responding, Jell.  That is why I said to forget about the various diagnoses that I have received is because I know what the root of it all is.  I have been diagnosed with ADHD, I was once diagnosed with bipolar, which I don't think I am, and I have an unofficial diagnosis of Asperger's.  (I took an online test after someone once told me that I seemed to have the symptoms.)

So, no, no brain damage.  Pretty depressing picture, eh?  I can't take care of myself.  I am a genius at law.  I am an attorney.  I win in court all the time.  But the rest of my life is a mess.  A total, complete mess.

The upside is that the person that I visit in Texas wants to take care of me, in spite of all the idiosyncracies that exist in me. 

I would just like to get opinions on this.  See if anyone else experiences any of what I experience.  See what that the advice is that's floating around out there.

The worst part is that I love people.  I love talking to people, socializing, etc.  It's the reason that it's the worst part...I love people, and would never intentionally hurt anyone.  But I always manage to offend people.  Piss people off.  The only thing I have going for me in court, when I piss off a judge, is my charm. 

I am very charming.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: Frog]
    #2892124 - 07/15/04 03:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think there is anything I could say that could help you. I really wish I could help. Sorry. Maybe they'll come up with some cure or something. I wish the best for you.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#2892135 - 07/15/04 03:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Have you tried meditation or practicing mindfulness?

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House] * 1
    #2892162 - 07/15/04 03:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Tasty, that was nice of you to write that. Even if you didn't have any advice to offer, it was a nice message.

Jell, I have been told about meditation. Damn, I'm also hyper. The idea of just sitting still or whatever it is that people who meditate do sort of gives me the heebie-jeebies (sp?).

But seriously, if you can tell me what kind of meditation would help, and why, I might look into it. You don't even have to give me any explanations. I'm a fast reader. If there are books on the subject that I should read, please just reference them, and thank you.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#2892173 - 07/15/04 04:01 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Here is a pretty good meditation FAQ to get you started, frog.

http://www.salemctr.com/newage/center6.html

As far as what techniques to try, that is really up to you based upon what you are most confortable with.
Focusing on breathing is always a good one. Do a google search on meditation and you should find several techniques to choose from.

--------------------

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2892180 - 07/15/04 04:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just be patient and keep at it. I have faith in ya Frog. :smile:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2892255 - 07/15/04 04:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

meditation can be a helpful tool. you don't have t be sitting still doing nothing for many types of meditation, most just require that you are doing something that dosen't require your full attention. i find taht my boring repetetve jobs is perfect for self-programming exercises [a simple "going over" of something i have trouble remembering or doing, repeatedly to get it wired into my psyche].

i have short term memory problems aswell and while not as bad as what you describe, they affect my day to day life for the worse. i used to have trouble remembering things from my long term memory untill i actualy saw the "your memmory as a muscle" principle for what it was - a good parallel. teh more you work on memory recovery, the better and faster your brain will be able to access and recover memmories, and not just the ones you work on. i do not pretend to know how the brain proccesses memmory - it's an extremely complex system - but i know that the more often you use your mind's abilities to focus, remember things and multitask, etc. the better it will be at doing so in the future.

if there is a medical cause you will likely continue to have trouble, but you can always give the self-programming, various meditation and/or other methods that can be done by one's self if need be watever cance you deem worthy. i can see no harm by giving a concerted effort.

good luck to you and keep your head up. if you have a problem you can't beat by yoursef, you will always have peope here to lend support for what that's worth :smile:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2892290 - 07/15/04 05:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"I'm not trying to make excuses for my brain, but it certainly does get in my way."

Are you sure you're not getting in IT'S way?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2892348 - 07/15/04 06:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well you are shifting context and state
context being what the scene is
state is your vibrance level - more or less resonant (like bing stoned or straight).
recall is dependent on 2 things
1) is memory fixation, short term memory loss means that this is not functioning well but it is a general term not a diagnosis. alzheimers - very low vibrance can be from cellular degeneration or plaques or systemic (pathway) failures. Learning seems to stop
Also note if stoned you may learn something but you cannot access it later until the same level of vibrance reccurs.
2) stimulus to recall - images or sensations that are simmilar to those accompanying the recallable concept.
here again vibrance (stonedness) can be key to what the sensation is like.

I think you are an excitable person and you change vibrance as well.
You are also managing very well in this world.
my reccommendation is to slow down regularly and scan your scene while relaxing and shifting vibrance (which you may just do naturally). Recall is a continuous process, your memories are tucked into all the dimensions that you wander.

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
    #2892517 - 07/15/04 08:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like adult ADHD but of course you probably know this. Wish I could help but I suffer with a lot of the same problems. My problems come from the abuse I inflicked on my own brain with drugs. Hopefully you will find a cure for your problem. Good Luck

Offlineomnimush
Stranger
Loc: Everywhere
    #2892788 - 07/15/04 10:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If it make you feel better your not alone in this situation, I have ADD
(Not hyperactive), and when you describe yourself You makes me think of me. We are also master in our domain (Mine is Computer Security).
I found somthing very usefull for remembering: a PocketPc.
I take note of everything on that,I call it my memmory.
Ok this is not perfect but it seem to help a alot.

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2892955 - 07/15/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hi Frog, my brain has similar problems, though perhaps not so severe, and mine finally seems to be getting better, a little.

I have ALWAYS forgotten and lost things. My mom didn't believe me when I was a kid and thought I was faking for convenience sake- now she has learned and makes me write things down and calls me a billion times to remind me that I am having dinner at her house on Sunday. :wink:

One time when she went on vacation I volunteered to feed her dog, cat and bird for the week and I forgot. Lucky they had enough food to get them through most of the week and only had to go a couple days without and they didn't die.  I felt AWFUL! Lots of her plants died though, that I had offered to water.

I have lost my keys, my credit cards, my shoes, my clothing, my purses full of valuables, my jewelry, and my money thousands of times!

I have dreams about forgetting I have kids and losing them!  Thank God that one has never happened.

I forget the names of people also, and that I have met them, when they remember me....my friends tell me stories of things that happened in high school, or junior high, things I don't remember AT ALL!  I will forget the names of some of my friends' children- it is awful! 

I thought I was becoming stupid for awhile, but I don't think that's what it is.  I have been diagnosed with ADD, and as I have gotten to know myself better over the years, I find that I do not pay attention deeply enough to certain things that normal people do- I pay attention to "psychic" input while other people are paying attention to "normal" things. Like I will be noticing the way someone is feeling, their mental and emotional state, details of their face and voice, etc., instead of what they're saying. So I just have to redirect my attention and remind myself to remember the things that are "important"!

There are a couple of things that seem to help me: yoga, meditation and focusing. 

Anyway, Frog- you know you have someone that can relate. :smile: 

At least you are really good at your job and you are obviously a very intelligent woman, in many ways and I know that numerous people love you- so that is what matters!  But I hope you can find something to help your memory, because it can be a pain in the ass to forget things resulting in making people feel bad and inconvenience to you. :heart:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: Phishgrrl] * 1
    #2893180 - 07/15/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

jell:  Here is a pretty good meditation FAQ to get you started, frog.

http://www.salemctr.com/newage/center6.html

Thanks, Jell.  I could have gone and done a search myself instead of making you post a link for me, but I read what you provided and I'm going to start meditation.  It sounds like it would work.  If one empties one's mind from time to time, maybe one can clear the brain up to put more in, and maybe my memory would improve. 

concretefeet:  i used to have trouble remembering things from my long term memory untill i actualy saw the "your memmory as a muscle" principle for what it was - a good parallel. teh more you work on memory recovery, the better and faster your brain will be able to access and recover memmories, and not just the ones you work on.

You have motivated me to do what I didn't think to do before:  Go to the book store and read some books on how the brain works.  What improves memory, etc.  How to exercise the brain.  I'll report back to you.  :grin:

Strumpling:  "I'm not trying to make excuses for my brain, but it certainly does get in my way."

Are you sure you're not getting in IT'S way?

???

redgreenvines:  my reccommendation is to slow down regularly and scan your scene while relaxing and shifting vibrance (which you may just do naturally).

Yes, which would be like meditation.  I'm going to try to remember to do this, to make it part of my daily activities.

I also liked what you said about shifting vibrance.  Very interesting.

UncleMike:  Sounds like adult ADHD but of course you probably know this. Wish I could help but I suffer with a lot of the same problems. My problems come from the abuse I inflicked on my own brain with drugs. Hopefully you will find a cure for your problem. Good Luck

Are you sure you weren't ADHD before you used drugs?  Most people who are ADHD self-medicate. 

omnimush:  when you describe yourself You makes me think of me. We are also master in our domain (Mine is Computer Security).
I found somthing very usefull for remembering: a PocketPc.
I take note of everything on that,I call it my memmory.

Yes.  It's an interesting type of genius.  Einstein was like that.  We are extremely good at ONE thing.  Masters of our domain.  I like that.  I try to remind myself that I am smart.  Well, in at least one area.

Phishgrrl:  I have dreams about forgetting I have kids and losing them! Thank God that one has never happened.

I appreciate everything you wrote, because you sound so much like me, and it's nice to find someone whose brain works like mine.  Well, as you said, maybe not as bad, but similar. 

But I especially appreciate the part you wrote about forgetting you have kids and losing them.  I have had 5 kids.  Whenever I would go to the grocery store, I would often leave my wallet in the shopping cart.  I was always afraid that I had left one of the kids in the cart.  When I would be driving away from the store, I would always look in the back seat to make sure I had all the kids.

--------------------

Offlineomnimush
Stranger
Loc: Everywhere
    #2893256 - 07/15/04 02:04 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think that our memmory problem is due to the fact that we spend more time inside our head then outside there for making us great thinker
but not to good at remembering what is happening outside unless we are very interested of what is going on outside. At least that is the way I feel...

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: omnimush]
    #2893642 - 07/15/04 04:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

another trick is just make really good routines, and then you only have to remeber the routine to figure out where all your stuff is and where you're supposed to be.

where are my keys? where they always are.
where is my computer? where it always is.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2896602 - 07/16/04 12:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This sounds like AHDH. Maybe you're the one of the few who actually can benefit from Adderal and such meds. Why not tell your doctor. especially if you feel that this is really messing up your life.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Brain Philosophy (or just how fucked up are you) [Re: eve69]
    #2898904 - 07/17/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

truekimbo, I agree that having a lot of structure is really important for me. I have been working on this. I put everything back where it should go. Starbucks card goes in the wallet. Money goes in the middle console of the car. Laptop goes in the brief case. Car keys...ah, the f*cking car keys. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong with the car keys...I don't have a "magic" place for the car keys.

eve, yes, I have been on meds in the past for ADHD. They helped a lot, but I stopped taking them a few months ago. For a while, I thought I was doing okay without them, but my life has unraveled. I can't keep track of anything. I'm only good at going to court. All my documents are in a box, and I can't ever seem to get to them, and I'm behind on filing stuff in my cases. Yes, probably time to go back to the doctor.

You know, people are so down on medication, in general. Supposedly, we're not supposed to need medication for anything. All the things that I posted in the first post? According to a lot of people, it's all in my head and can be overcome.

Well, that's all well and good that I should be able to overcome it all without meds. Truth is, no one seems to have a brain that works like mine. Or at least not at the severity at which mine operates.

I'm really realizing lately just how fucked up my brain actually is. It's cool to post this and have those of you who have similar symptoms come out and relate. That helps a lot.

--------------------

Offlineshaman2b
Just anotherfreethinker
 User Gallery

Loc: in my head
    #2899372 - 07/17/04 10:26 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Frog, I think you just answered your own question.  You said you were on medication and it helped, but then you stopped and things started to unravel.

Get back on your meds and be consistent.  But if they were causing other side effects and that is why you stopped, then tell your doctor and try something different with his/her counsel.

It's not a sign of weakness to be on medication.  Our bodies are chemical factories, and sometimes the factory isn't working optimally.  If you were a hemophiliac and had to take clotting agents, would you stop taking them and risk bleeding out?  Of course not.  For some reason, we often think that when the ** brain ** is involved, somehow we are defective.

Your witness, counselor.

:coffee: :hug:

--------------------
I am merely transcribing the thoughts of my blind buddy; none of the things I write originate with me. :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being